John Danks

Kyyle23

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As per usual DA, you read what you wanted to read and responded to only that part of it. This thread was started not only because of last night but also because of his entire spring training as well as his terrible season last year. He is progressively getting worse and the team has been doing everything to try and get something out of him.

My question was how much rope does he get. Try and answer that and try to not get butthurt because I said k thx

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 08:19 AM)
I refuse to take much serious stock in any minor league performance. I think you have to give Danks the month of April to see what he can do. If he isn't a MLB pitcher at that point, then Hahn is gonna have to head up to Jerry's office and beg to waste a good chunk of money.

Umm..we already have Rodon, why do we have to spend MORE money to bring in a veteran?

Not to mention Beck and Erik Johnson, we're not going to spend another $5-10 million for a back end rotation piece at this point in the proceedings when we haven't the last two offseasons....with Noesi proving the point it's not really necessary, but need good scouting and/or Don Cooper.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)
Umm..we have Rodon, why do we have to spend MORE money to bring in a veteran?

Who said anything about getting a veteran. I took that as cutting bait on Danks

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 08:30 AM)
Who said anything about getting a veteran. I took that as cutting bait on Danks

Do you honestly believe that type of move is possible in April/May?

Don't think so.

He's going to be first Zitoed/Lincecumed into the bullpen to replace Jennings or Duke, probably Jennings...or used as the long man.

In order to try for SOME rebound in his confidence/net asset value.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)
Do you honestly believe that type of move is possible in April/May?

Don't think so.

He's going to be first Zitoed/Lincecumed into the bullpen to replace Jennings or Duke, probably Jennings...or used as the long man.

In order to try for SOME rebound in his confidence/net asset value.

Yes I do. Don't really see Danks as much of a long man either, considering his stuff is absolutely batting practice right now and has been pretty much since his surgery.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)
I think its safe to say that we are all worried about Danks. He has become the blackhole of this rotation. Every time I see him pitching these days, he is getting rocked. Its difficult to go from a mid-high velocity guy to a converted junk ball pitcher. Some pitchers can do this successfully, but John is having a very difficult time adjusting. I hope he figures it out. If not, upper management NEEDS to figure something out. I do get it about their hands being tied with his $28 million owed over this year and next, but they can't keep sending him out there if he continues to perform poorly.

My realistic prediction: He starts off the season going 1-6 and has a 5.56 ERA. The Sox will blame it on shoulder soreness and he will be put on the disabled list at some point, mid-May. This will be the green light to bring Rodon up for good.

My hopeful prediction: He figures it out at the start of the season, proves many wrong. Goes 3-3 and keeps his ERA at a respectable 4.00 which is okay for a 4th/5th starter. At this point, we all know he will not be earning the value of his contract so we will take what we can get from the dude.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)
I refuse to take much serious stock in any minor league performance. I think you have to give Danks the month of April to see what he can do. If he isn't a MLB pitcher at that point, then Hahn is gonna have to head up to Jerry's office and beg to waste a good chunk of money.

2 excellent post and i agree.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)
As per usual DA, you read what you wanted to read and responded to only that part of it. This thread was started not only because of last night but also because of his entire spring training as well as his terrible season last year. He is progressively getting worse and the team has been doing everything to try and get something out of him.

My question was how much rope does he get. Try and answer that and try to not get butthurt because I said k thx

If he gave up 1 run in 4 innings last night, this thread doesn't exist. He also was really good the start before last before he ran out of gas. He will have awful starts. He had some really awful starts when he was in his peak years. If he can limit them, he is a fine 4 or 5 starter. I think he will be a little better than last year. If he is terrible, he will be replaced.

Edited by Dick Allen

this is an excellent topic to discuss about Danks without getting nasty. he was and is the best at being a true professional. i am a fan but this yr is the yr to do magic. the playoff should be the final goal, that golden ring that all baseball players strive for, and we as fans enjoy the ride.

whether or not the org didn't see this when many fans did, is a problem, but that is to wait for next offseason. the season is upon us and it is going to be a great season. however if certain problems are not corrected or not taken seriously, management is going to screw this season up, no matter how many fans are in the stands.

this org really need to constantly keep a professional eye on this team, to quickly make adjustments before it will be too late.

screw loyalty

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 09:48 AM)
If he gave up 1 run in 4 innings last night, this thread doesn't exist. He also was really good the start before last before he ran out of gas. He will have awful starts. He had some really awful starts when he was in his peak years. If he can limit them, he is a fine 4 or 5 starter. I think he will be a little better than last year. If he is terrible, he will be replaced.

No I was gonna make this thread regardless because he is a issue with the team going forward, but thanks for attempting to predict what threads I would make. Good job good effort

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 03:48 PM)
If he gave up 1 run in 4 innings last night, this thread doesn't exist. He also was really good the start befor last before he ran out of gas. He will have awful starts. He had so,e really awful starts when he was in his peak years. If he can limit them, he is a fine 4 or 5 starter. I think he will be a little better than last year. If he is terribel, he will be replaced.

but the point is, he didn't. this is not a jerk all quick reaction b/c a pitcher had a bad game. this is a continuation of the same story, the same old excuses.

even you are saying about him being replace, all this thread was how long does it need to be, the rope.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 08:05 PM)
All this name dropping bs isn't cute or funny, and adds little to the discussion

How is saying the names of others who might be available to replace a guy we think needs replacing adding little to the discussion ? If he had said others are available someone else might ask, like who ? If Caul thinks saying Adam Dunn is funny question his sense of humor ( which you did) but it isn't name dropping .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 09:59 AM)
How is saying the names of others who might be available to replace a guy we think needs replacing adding little to the discussion ? If he had said others are available someone else might ask, like who ? If Caul thinks saying Adam Dunn is funny question his sense of humor ( which you did) but it isn't name dropping .

I saw your response in the other thread, and I just disagree. I'm not gonna get in an argument with you over it. Simply put Caulfield is an intelligent poster and when he stays on topic he is good conversation. When he thinks of 50 different names just to fluff up a post it is annoying and distracts from the post and generates a TL;DR response from me, and I know I am not the only one.

That's all I'm gonna say about it

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 08:04 AM)
I saw your response in the other thread, and I just disagree. I'm not gonna get in an argument with you over it. Simply put Caulfield is an intelligent poster and when he stays on topic he is good conversation. When he thinks of 50 different names just to fluff up a post it is annoying and distracts from the post and generates a TL;DR response from me, and I know I am not the only one.

That's all I'm gonna say about it

Fine then I will have the last say on it. We are all here glorifying athletes as fans . We speak about them all the time. We pay to watch them perform . My god the things people get annoyed about. Chill out. It's only distracting if you let it be. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 08:28 AM)
Carlos Rodon will have a job by June 1 on this team. It is only a matter of whose job it will be. It isn't hard to squint and see John Danks buried in the bullpen as a long man.

Yep, sooner or later the Sox will have to eat some of that contract . I am holding out hope that Danks is playing a bit of possum this spring just fine tuning his mediocrity and not his generosity to other teams.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 04:28 PM)
Carlos Rodon will have a job by June 1 on this team. It is only a matter of whose job it will be. It isn't hard to squint and see John Danks buried in the bullpen as a long man.

well that is the point i was heading to, wasn't Rodon sent down to continue to work on his pitches???

wouldn't that be the same as rushing him, before he is fully develop??

i know i am grasping at straw, but who else is there? Beck, Danish, who??

As others have said, the Sox have to just run Danks out there. It is not crazy to think it is possible that he could pitch 190 innings, be around .500 with an era in the 4s. It probably won't happen, but with $31M due to him over the next two, they'll try to make it work.

What hurts is the Sox have a legit MLB starter in the minors, but Rodon will get his time. Injuries happen, and there is still Noesi. It will probably sort itself out, and in the meantime Johnny will take the ball every 5th day. I'm rooting for him.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)
well that is the point i was heading to, wasn't Rodon sent down to continue to work on his pitches???

It will be Rodon. If they need another, Erik Johnson.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)

He was sent down to give an extra year of control. Sure they want him working on his change up, but they really want to control him for a 7th year.

It will be interesting because unless a guy is hurt,a better alternative needs to be available. Right now it seems very unlikely, but Rodon might struggle for a while. Erik Johnson might be the 2014 edition. There has to be a viable option. Swapping out Danks or Noesi for Penny isn't going to get you more wins.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 09:12 AM)
Fine then I will have the last say on it. We are all here glorifying athletes as fans . We speak about them all the time. We pay to watch them perform . My god the things people get annoyed about. Chill out. It's only distracting if you let it be. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

:wub:

The only important question is whether Ventura, Hahn and Cooper are having this exact same conversation internally...and, with the $28 million still invested in Danks, the answer (at this point) has to be no...that they won't revisit the "Danks issue" until at least the middle of May and/or until Rodon lights Charlotte on fire like Katniss Everdeen appearing on the scene.

Edited by caulfield12