John Danks

Kyyle23

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 02:29 PM)
The day Danks is no longer in the rotation is a GREAT day to be a Sox fan. Danks is a shell of his former self and If not for the bad contract would of been released or traded already.

I'll take his 2014 season this season in a heartbeat. Now will he put up 20 quality starts again? We'll see.

Maybe he just needs a little regular season adrenaline.

Don't give up on Danks just yet.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)
I'll take his 2014 season this season in a heartbeat. Now will he put up 20 quality starts again? We'll see.

Right now he is throwing as hard as Mark Buehrle without the control. That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

I hope his contract isn't a factor on where we put him (even though I'm not naive enough to think it isn't), it's a sunk-cost, we have to pay it no matter what happens, so if he sucks and Rodon is killing it in Charlotte then bring him up and banish Danks to the bullpen. If someone like Beck or Johnson is pitching well and both Noesi and Danks are trash, I'd hope by June we'd consider replacing both of them with our internal options and not be too afraid to pull the trigger. I'm going to be pretty upset if we miss out on a playoff spot by a game or two because we waited too long to bring up Rodon/get Danks out of the rotation.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
Now will he put up 20 quality starts again? We'll see.

I will be happy to see him put up one quality start to begin with. Can't see that happening but I sure hope he proves me wrong.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 02:38 PM)
At the time we signed him to the extension, I didn't think he'd be worth it. I was calling to deal him away for whatever (maybe one top prospect then, but I think KW wanted 3) and re-sign Buehrle.

What is done is done.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 07:19 PM)
:wub:

The only important question is whether Ventura, Hahn and Cooper are having this exact same conversation internally...and, with the $28 million still invested in Danks, the answer (at this point) has to be no...that they won't revisit the "Danks issue" until at least the middle of May and/or until Rodon lights Charlotte on fire like Katniss Everdeen appearing on the scene.

:notworthy :chair

most excellent.

but back to the subject, the sox has eaten some salary, Danks was a great soldier and JR repaid him. now, if Danks can not pitch but is getting lit up, i see a disable list visit, or maybe a retirement, due to an injury.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 02:38 PM)
At the time we signed him to the extension, I didn't think he'd be worth it. I was calling to deal him away for whatever (maybe one top prospect then, but I think KW wanted 3) and re-sign Buehrle.

The shoulder injury changed everything.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 04:37 PM)

Exactly. Banks was pretty damn good with a FB 92-95 and a nasty change. He did pitch a shutout in the black out game I believe.

The shoulder injury ruined his career basically.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)

I agree with this. He just needs to be a .500 pitcher, and eat innings at the back of the rotation. With a stronger offense and better bullpen, the Sox might actually win more of his starts this year.

If someone's going to delete posts that are started by personally calling me out in a thread with 2-3 accompanying "attacks," and someone doesn't even bother to send a PM, I think a poster should have a right to defend/explain themselves.

But whatever.

I guess there's only one side of an equation...and anything that goes against that narrative isn't allowed or tolerated.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 04:37 PM)

In hindsight, the deal on paper was terrific for the White Sox. Danks, unfortunately, got hurt and thus his game has suffered. But if he did not get hurt, we are looking at $14 million per year for a legit #2 starter who would still be in his prime. The injury sucked, but without it, it would be a value contract for the White sox.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 06:12 PM)
In hindsight, the deal on paper was terrific for the White Sox. Danks, unfortunately, got hurt and thus his game has suffered. But if he did not get hurt, we are looking at $14 million per year for a legit #2 starter who would still be in his prime. The injury sucked, but without it, it would be a value contract for the White sox.

Which is the risk for any of these long deal. Take the Royals deal with Ventura. On paper it is steal. If he blows out his elbow tomorrow, the Royals are out of luck.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 06:22 PM)
Which is the risk for any of these long deal. Take the Royals deal with Ventura. On paper it is steal. If he blows out his elbow tomorrow, the Royals are out of luck.

$23 mill over 5 years? It would be unlucky for it to happen but it wouldn't hurt them financially

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 09:25 PM)
If it's time to talk about Danks it's time to talk about the rest of the rotation. Who cares about tonight? Abreu went hitless. A couple of relievers were terrible. THE GAME DIDN'T COUNT.Relax.

Because tonight was the ONLY indicator of Danks being bad.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 11:22 PM)

question, the team is or should they be covered by the insurance company??

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 5, 2015 -> 12:27 AM)
Insurance isn't cheap, because so many injuries happen.

so either way, the team is covered.

here is another question. if Danks retires, b/c of past injury, the ins company needs to cover it.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 06:38 PM)
Because tonight was the ONLY indicator of Danks being bad.

There is nothing new in this thread about John Danks that hasn't been stated many times previously. So the ONLY reason for this thread is his spring training performance. Again, if that matters there are several more threads to be made. I don't think anyone was/is counting on Danks to be a 2.0 WAR or higher.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 07:45 PM)
There is nothing new in this thread about John Danks that hasn't been stated many times previously. So the ONLY reason for this thread is his spring training performance. Again, if that matters there are several more threads to be made. I don't think anyone was/is counting on Danks to be a 2.0 WAR or higher.

As you are fond of saying, John Danks hasn't been good since 2010.