John Danks

Kyyle23

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 04:27 PM)
Nobody really gives a s*** about the super 2, including me and almost certainly the Sox. The extra year of guaranteed control however is huge. Rodon is going to be up in a few weeks, almost guaranteed, if he keeps pitching the way he is and Noesi and Danks keep getting shelled.

They should whenever possible. Keeping payroll under control is exactly what allowed the spending spree this winter.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 05:31 PM)
They should whenever possible. Keeping payroll under control is exactly what allowed the spending spree this winter.

Yea but what's the highest super 2 ever paid out? We're talking like 3-5 million in arb verse what the 512k min? Might as well trade Bonificio to make up the difference Robin ain't gonna use him anyways!

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 04:45 PM)
Yea but what's the highest super 2 ever paid out? We're talking like 3-5 million in arb verse what the 512k min? Might as well trade Bonificio to make up the difference Robin ain't gonna use him anyways!

Sure, but applied to many situations, it adds up. This is a fiscally intelligent franchise, and it works for a reason.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 09:31 PM)

anyone who is seeing this and really thinking about it, should see this to be the case. yes the org spent a lot on players to make this team what it is. but, unless this org has the unlimited funds of the LAD or BOS, the sox has to keep an eye on the overall budget. they can not upset the subtle status-quo of the salary.

this is seen if and when some salary will come up to either resign them or to replace them.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 06:08 PM)
anyone who is seeing this and really thinking about it, should see this to be the case. yes the org spent a lot on players to make this team what it is. but, unless this org has the unlimited funds of the LAD or BOS, the sox has to keep an eye on the overall budget. they can not upset the subtle status-quo of the salary.

this is seen if and when some salary will come up to either resign them or to replace them.

Eh, the Sox aren't really in a position (and many teams aren't) where you're gonna have a ton of arb eligible guys coming through the system and thus rising costs of your core roster have to get big raises. They bought out Jose, Sale, Eaton, Q's arb years already and those are the guys that could have gotten quite pricey.

You've got Rodon up for super 2 what else? Avi might get pricey but if he plays that well they will probably sign him long term anyways. Danks will be coming off the books, possibly Ramirez as well. I'm not really seeing much of a budget problem and in fact there should be money available to replace those guys if they so choose.

The real key will be if Anderson can replace Ramirez in house. If he can, that lifts the entire roster's outlook. MLB 2.0-4.0 WAR SSs certainly don't grow on trees.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 09:17 PM)
Eh, the Sox aren't really in a position (and many teams aren't) where you're gonna have a ton of arb eligible guys coming through the system and thus rising costs of your core roster have to get big raises. They bought out Jose, Sale, Eaton, Q's arb years already and those are the guys that could have gotten quite pricey.

You've got Rodon up for super 2 what else? Avi might get pricey but if he plays that well they will probably sign him long term anyways. Danks will be coming off the books, possibly Ramirez as well. I'm not really seeing much of a budget problem and in fact there should be money available to replace those guys if they so choose.

The real key will be if Anderson can replace Ramirez in house. If he can, that lifts the entire roster's outlook. MLB 2.0-4.0 WAR SSs certainly don't grow on trees.

Jose can actually opt to go through arbitration after his third year. Same thing happened with Alexei in his first deal.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
He ran out of gas against KC, and didn't get much help today. He hasn't been very good, but better than the numbers indicate.

He's struck out 3.48 batters per 9 (!) and has managed a homerun rate substantially below his career norms. I don't see any it getting much/any better, unfortunately. Obviously these numbers aren't predictive after just two starts, but they're worrisome because they paint a picture that the results could/should be even worse at this point.

I know you think I love to hate on Danks (I don't, honestly, I wear his shirsey proudly all the time), but I thought he looked just awful yesterday. Everything was up, and he was topping out at 88mph. Nearly every pitch was making me cringe expecting a bomb. I actually couldn't believe he wasn't getting totally destroyed. I'm definitely open to the possibility that he was doing something intentionally that was keeping the hitters off balance, but I certainly couldn't see it. It seemed like he was just getting lucky.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 08:55 AM)
I know you think I love to hate on Danks (I don't, honestly, I wear his shirsey proudly all the time)

Yeah I'll always root for the guy, too. Bon Scott would have appreciated the scrotal mass he displayed in the Blackout 163. Very sad that he had the type of injury that he couldnt fully recover from. Still has all the moxie and smarts if he can find a new way to make it work.

It will be a delicate balance for the FO, with the various elements involved and the expectation of contention

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 10:11 PM)
i have always been a fan of Danks, but come june, and he is pitching like crap, i would love the sox to make an overture to him and buy out his contract of put him on IR for the yr.

Neither of those things work in baseball. Baseball contracts are fully guaranteed, meaning they are getting their money, no matter what. They can release him, but they are still obligated to pay the full amount due for the next basically two years.

You also can't hide a guy on the DL for a whole year. The union would have a meltdown.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 04:11 AM)
i have always been a fan of Danks, but come june, and he is pitching like crap, i would love the sox to make an overture to him and buy out his contract of put him on IR for the yr.

too bad, i was hoping that he could simply retire as a white sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)
Neither of those things work in baseball. Baseball contracts are fully guaranteed, meaning they are getting their money, no matter what. They can release him, but they are still obligated to pay the full amount due for the next basically two years.

You also can't hide a guy on the DL for a whole year. The union would have a meltdown.

Didn't they do that to Paulino?

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Apr 19, 2015 -> 03:02 PM)
I bought 3 tickets two months ago but I 'll be at US cellular tomorrow hoping that a Danks renaissance begins.

Yikes. That's why I never get tickets that early. I wouldn't pay actual $$ if Danks/Noesi pitched.