Ventura on his job status

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 09:44 PM)
Now Dick Allen knows how I felt during the Ozzie era. I felt like I was the only true Ozzie supporter. Dick is pretty much the only Robin supporter.

I could go either way on Robin but it's pretty obvious he's just another guy at best.

i am and still a RV backer.

i have been busy today, but i saw that the good guys lost.

i will refrain from saying else, but it will take a lot to convince me to get rid of RV.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 05:11 PM)
It's not even a lack of talent that is costing us defensively. This isn't a guy not getting to a ball he should have.

These are fundamental mistakes that basically every professional ballplayer should be making, and if he isn't making, he can practice making them until he consistently does make them.

However, for more than 2 full seasons, our players have not been making them.

This extends to situational hitting and base running too.

These are not talent issues; these are cultural issues.

I think for the most part, the guys making the mistakes are the guys you would expect to make the mistakes. The one exception is Eaton. He has made a couple of blunders on the bases and in the field, but I wonder if any of it is him trying to justify his contract. I think once he gets going, assuming no major injuries, the offense takes off, which may take some pressure off the defense, and the routine plays become routine again. Gillaspie has been awful with the glove.

The baserunning is well documented. They worked on that pretty hard. I think the decision making will improve, but I think people thought Vince Coleman making all the difference in the world was beyond wishful thinking. Eaton stole 15 last year. Vince has been with a few organizations as a baserunning instructor. I think if he routinely made 15 SB guys 40-50 SB guys, he would have been unavailable. It takes time to change.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 06:28 PM)
The effect a manager has on the game is overstated so much in Chicago.

The South Side thinks the team isn't a playoff team because of Ventura, the North Side thinks their team is a championship contender based on Maddon. Both assumptions are equally dubious.

They spent $50 million+ this offseason betting that they were a playoff team. That's a bet someone will lose if they're not.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)
They spent all of the money this offseason to better position themselves to compete yearly. Sure, they would like to go to playoffs this year, and the Sarmarzija trade shows they put themselves out there to do just that, but this offseason was a risk-averting step in the right direction. This team could compete, but there are holes or deficiencies that could keep them home in October. This last week of baseball doesn't change anything. This offseason the front office cracked the window of contention open, next year they should be considered something close to a division favorite with team they field.

Without money to spend, yes they'll be adding Rodon to the rotation but as a rookie and with Samardzija gone? With guys like LaRoche, Cabrera, Ramirez another year older? Maybe even having traded away Ramirez to play a rookie?

I still don't see how this team gets better next year unless they suddenly "play less sloppy".

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 10:26 PM)
I think for the most part, the guys making the mistakes are the guys you would expect to make the mistakes. The one exception is Eaton. He has made a couple of blunders on the bases and in the field, but I wonder if any of it is him trying to justify his contract. I think once he gets going, assuming no major injuries, the offense takes off, which may take some pressure off the defense, and the routine plays become routine again. Gillaspie has been awful with the glove.

The baserunning is well documented. They worked on that pretty hard. I think the decision making will improve, but I think people thought Vince Coleman making all the difference in the world was beyond wishful thinking. Eaton stole 15 last year. Vince has been with a few organizations as a baserunning instructor. I think if he routinely made 15 SB guys 40-50 SB guys, he would have been unavailable. It takes time to change.

maybe it is me, but i have always b****ed that the team coming out of spring training were not ready to play the season. i still think they, the coaches, the FO assumes that the players are professional and will do what is needed to be prepared for the season.

i still say that is wrong, and the team need a person who, for lack of a better word, a harsh task manager. some one like a Tony LaRussa when he was with the sox.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 10:47 PM)
They spent all of the money this offseason to better position themselves to compete yearly. Sure, they would like to go to playoffs this year, and the Sarmarzija trade shows they put themselves out there to do just that, but this offseason was a risk-averting step in the right direction. This team could compete, but there are holes or deficiencies that could keep them home in October. This last week of baseball doesn't change anything. This offseason the front office cracked the window of contention open, next year they should be considered something close to a division favorite with team they field.

yes they, the FO spent all this money to improve. Then they stop and just like last yr, start doing little to nothing to finish what was started. assuming that all was taken care of with out investing anymore.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 11:01 PM)
This post can always be made on April 15th of any season. We have NO IDEA what this team will look like on April 15th of 2016.

But I agree almost completely with the previous post, based on where this organization has been during 2011-2014, the moves made this off-season not only were designed to make this a competitive 2015 team, but open a window to compete for the next 2-3 seasons.

Everyone is up in arms about the first 8 games of the season, but in my opinion it has been mission accomplished from a front office perspective. There is a still a lot of work to do be done.

with a huge waste of an opportunity to do something special.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 06:26 PM)

Do you think that this team is a team that is not talented enough to compete for the division this year?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 11:03 PM)
Do you think that this team is a team that is not talented enough to compete for the division this year?

i know you are not asking this of me, but if you can allow me to answer this great question, my answer is yes, it is talented enuf. do i still have the confidence of, lets say the off season, yes, but it has been shaken.

things that needed to be further address is the hole still.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 05:57 PM)
maybe it is me, but i have always b****ed that the team coming out of spring training were not ready to play the season. i still think they, the coaches, the FO assumes that the players are professional and will do what is needed to be prepared for the season.

i still say that is wrong, and the team need a person who, for lack of a better word, a harsh task manager. some one like a Tony LaRussa when he was with the sox.

Point of reference, the only time a Tony LaRussa managed White Sox team made the playoffs, they started 0-3, and 3-5, and were 27-34 on May 27th.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 12:08 AM)
So if I asked you before the season which team would have a better chance at a Championship the 2015 or 2016 White Sox you would say 2015? Without even seeing the team I can say the latter. The Sox improved all they did by moving Semien and some meh players and cutting a few checks. Obviously LaRoche, Cabrera and Ramirez are getting older but Cabrera is the only one under contract in '17. The payroll is pretty tidy and very efficient away from Danks.

You're also assuming Samardzija is gone and the Sox have no money to spend. The Sox seem to think they can sign him so there is money for that type of signing (for sake of argument say 100 million) whether it is Samardzija or not. There is plenty of RHSP depth on the FA market so even if they can't sign Samardzija there will be a surplus of RHSP out there. Samardzija, as an asset, holds potential in more than one way even if the Sox are out of it by July. They can trade him, take compensation or make him a part of their longterm foundation. You're really ignoring these mitigations in the acquisition. It's not as do or die as you're implying.

you are directing this to Balta or can anyone answer?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 07:08 PM)
So if I asked you before the season which team would have a better chance at a Championship the 2015 or 2016 White Sox you would say 2015? Without even seeing the team I can say the latter. The Sox improved all they did by moving Semien and some meh players and cutting a few checks. Obviously LaRoche, Cabrera and Ramirez are getting older but Cabrera is the only one under contract in '17. The payroll is pretty tidy and very efficient away from Danks.

You're also assuming Samardzija is gone and the Sox have no money to spend. The Sox seem to think they can sign him so there is money for that type of signing (for sake of argument say 100 million) whether it is Samardzija or not. There is plenty of RHSP depth on the FA market so even if they can't sign Samardzija there will be a surplus of RHSP out there. Samardzija, as an asset, holds potential in more than one way even if the Sox are out of it by July. They can trade him, take compensation or make him a part of their longterm foundation. You're really ignoring these mitigations in the acquisition. It's not as do or die as you're implying.

I'm assuming that...if they don't at least come close to the playoffs again this year, they're not going to see enough revenue growth to support the current payroll, or maybe even wind up with another year of revenue erosion, and hence there will have to be a step backwards next year.

Getting off to a sad, sloppy start that looks disturbingly like the previous rebuilding years is not what I'd guess they were hoping for in terms of revenue growth.

Edit: Also Yes, I'd have said 2015. Same reason - this franchise doesn't seem able to sustain $115 million payrolls unless they're winning.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 12:09 AM)
Point of reference, the only time a Tony LaRussa managed White Sox team made the playoffs, they started 0-3, and 3-5, and were 27-34 on May 27th.

good point, i was meaning on how he had spring training broken down and made the players really practice. didn't he also had a end of spring training, time run. he even made big frank make this run. i may be off a manager, but i think it was Tony.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 06:12 PM)
I'm assuming that...if they don't at least come close to the playoffs again this year, they're not going to see enough revenue growth to support the current payroll, or maybe even wind up with another year of revenue erosion, and hence there will have to be a step backwards next year.

Getting off to a sad, sloppy start that looks disturbingly like the previous rebuilding years is not what I'd guess they were hoping for in terms of revenue growth.

They made $31 million last year. Ticket sales are up 50%. Money will not be an object.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 05:19 PM)
It's also time we consider that the TV deal expires in in 2019. If Samardzija or free agent X signs a long term deal at least a year of it will be in a year where there's a lot more money to play with.

Or we'll start to see an erosion of those deals as the Dodgers' situation falls apart (if it's not renegotiated) and the contracts at that time will be falling off roughly 25-35% from their peaks (Rangers/Mariners/Phillies/Dodgers).

Look at the collapse in Houston (bankruptcy) of their RSN.

The Cubs will be getting the lion's share of the money in whatever competition goes down as well...unless all their prospects tank, they go through 4-5 more sub-.500 seasons and the White Sox make the playoffs at least 2 times between now and 2019.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 06:19 PM)
It's also time we consider that the TV deal expires in in 2019. If Samardzija or free agent X signs a long term deal at least a year of it will be in a year where there's a lot more money to play with.

It is a good point. They are going to want to have a team that can generate some ad revenue in the years before and when that comes to pass.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 07:29 PM)
I misread it. They were up 50% after the first week they were available. Season tickets are up. It might not be 30k a gsmr, but I would bet it is over 25k

Just to show how big of a jump 25k would be for this franchise...from 2004-2005 they increased ticket sales by 5000/game. Getting over 25k from 20,381 last year would require the same type of ticket sales boost that the White Sox saw during their world series year.

I'm aware season ticket sales were up...but I think they're counting on this team being competitive for that salary boost to hold. And an extra 5000/game is a huge jump for that franchise.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 07:19 PM)
Too bad he can't be like LaRussa or Maddon who got to .500 after 5 years. Bobby Cox took 11 years. Joe Torre took 16,

None of them did it with only 1 team DA!

Edited by Soxfest