Ventura on his job status

southsider2k5

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 08:26 AM)
The only time I ever lowered my standards and went to Wrigley urinal was to watch him pitch.

when I got home, my uncle found out about it, poured charcoal fluid on my shoes and lit them on fire.

I saw him pitch the first time I ever went to the Astrodome as a kid. Talk about a crazy experience all around.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 08:25 AM)
I don't want Robin fired and the struggles this season aren't his fault but if he calls for a bunt again in the 9th with runners on 1st and 2nd, I'd consider that a fireable offense. Good lord stop that madness.

Then you would have to fire just about all of the managers in baseball because they all do it. I hate sacrifices. Never give up an out.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 04:15 PM)
This team has taken on a passive persona on the field.

Gee where would that come from? It's obvious that nobody plays with any sense of urgency for Robin. Ozzie had his faults (big time faults don't get me wrong) but the one thing you could say is that he almost always had his guys ready to play and would go to bat for them against the umps, other team, and media.

Robin never has his guys ready to play, hardly ever sticks up for them when the umps screw up, and his media handling ability is gonna get really tested if this team is 10 under in July.

There is no good excuse for Robin to not review that. None. Heck, if it is "inconclusive", all the more reason to challenge because that means you have a chance. Why on earth would you not?

The sloppiness and poor decision-making is happening on the field and in the dugout.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 08:18 PM)
Gee where would that come from? It's obvious that nobody plays with any sense of urgency for Robin. Ozzie had his faults (big time faults don't get me wrong) but the one thing you could say is that he almost always had his guys ready to play and would go to bat for them against the umps, other team, and media.

Robin never has his guys ready to play, hardly ever sticks up for them when the umps screw up, and his media handling ability is gonna get really tested if this team is 10 under in July.

Plain and simple, the team came out flat this year in what was supposed to be a huge season for the franchise. It's shocking that they're already 5.5 games back of Detroit.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 04:25 PM)
Plain and simple, the team came out flat this year in what was supposed to be a huge season for the franchise. It's shocking that they're already 5.5 games back of Detroit.

FWIW, I don't think it's shocking at all, it's basically what I expected.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 04:26 PM)
FWIW, I don't think it's shocking at all, it's basically what I expected.

Yea but you must be surprised at how sloppy they area? I mean, it's been a f***ing horror show of mental errors. It's one thing to lose and play a good clean game. It's another to lose and make 2-3 head scratching errors.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)
This team has taken on a passive persona on the field.

The opposite of the Royals and Tigers.

I will always LIKE Robin, a lot. He may even have a managerial career ahead of him. He's just a terrible fit for a team that hasn't done or won anything.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 04:32 PM)
Yea but you must be surprised at how sloppy they area? I mean, it's been a f***ing horror show of mental errors. It's one thing to lose and play a good clean game. It's another to lose and make 2-3 head scratching errors.

Not in the least. Not one bit. Not one iota. It's literally what I expected. We've seen it 2 years in a row, why would I epxect anything different this year. Heres me calling a well below .500 season after a crappy start in the predictions thread.

Manager wants to impress now? Get his team back in gear and turn this around. They're already calling him out publicly. Could still happen, but...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 04:36 PM)
Not in the least. Not one bit. Not one iota. It's literally what I expected. We've seen it 2 years in a row, why would I epxect anything different this year. Heres me calling a well below .500 season after a crappy start in the predictions thread.

Manager wants to impress now? Get his team back in gear and turn this around. They're already calling him out publicly. Could still happen, but...

When we get to tar and feather Robin in Millenium Park I want dibs on 2nd behind you. You called it man. Any lotto advice?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)

Wait what? Who has done that?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 04:43 PM)

Someone added this quote in the game thread.

Ramirez said he made the tag.

“In the ninth inning you have to review that play,” Ramirez said. “Maybe they missed it the first time on the video. I’m 100 percent that I tagged him. If you are going to lose you don’t want to lose in this way.”

There's no way Alexei didn't know that you don't say things like that in public.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 03:43 PM)

They're referring to Alexei's quote that he 100% made the tag and the play should have been challenged. "Callout" might be a strong term here, but there are lines to read between.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 03:48 PM)

There's no way Alexei didn't know that you don't say things like that in public.

Actually I misremembered the quote, that's as direct as callouts get.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)

I think the mental part of the game is not required in this organization.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 03:48 PM)

Ah. Yeah, that's a bad sign.

No excuse for Ventura. You absolutely challenge that, even if you aren't sure, in that situation of the game. It's a no-brainer really. That's two games in a row where a poor managing decision may have effected the outcome.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 04:00 PM)
He was out by a mile. Not even close. I don't know what Alexei did, but he should have been in Ventura's face to challenge because he had to have known he was out.

As for Ventura.....

Let's not get absurd here. He was not out by a mile, he just barely got him. Ventura already looks bad and made a stupid decision, so there's no need to make stuff up to make it worse.