Ventura on his job status

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 04:24 PM)
Sorry if it was posted, how many years left does robin have on his contract? IMO, the sox will never fire him but I could see them not renewing his contract when it's up

IIRC we were never told. We knew he originally had a 3 year deal but then we were told after year 2 he signed a "contract extension" but the length was never given.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 08:24 PM)
Again to note...the bolded continues to be the short definition of the last 3 years of the Robin Ventura era.

So far, this season has been the worst in terms of sloppiness. Even in the 3 games they've won, they played sloppy in those (especially in the last two wins). Ironically, Avi and Melky have been the most consistent fielders on this team.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)
Again to note...the bolded continues to be the short definition of the last 3 years of the Robin Ventura era.

Lack of talent has also been a definition.

As for the defense, we all knew this wasn't going to be a particularly good defensive team. I don't know why it's Robin's fault Micah is shaky at 2b, Gillaspie is bad at 3b, Abreu isn't a GGer, Avi still takes bad routes, and the catchers aren't stellar.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 03:30 PM)
Lack of talent has also been a definition.

As for the defense, we all knew this wasn't going to be a particularly good defensive team. I don't know why it's Robin's fault Micah is shaky at 2b, Gillaspie is bad at 3b, Abreu isn't a GGer, Avi still takes bad routes, and the catchers aren't stellar.

So in other words, the Sox are short on talent and it was a waste of time trading for Samardzija, and signing Cabrera and Robertson. Great.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 04:32 PM)
So in other words, the Sox are short on talent and it was a waste of time trading for Samardzija, and signing Cabrera and Robertson. Great.

Talent has little to do with many of the errors we've seen today and over Robin's tenure. The players come and go, the mistakes are mostly the same -- mental.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)
Absolutely. Dude's in over his head. Pretty much gets all the details wrong.

The necessary change won't be forthcoming anytime soon. A few too many years of Ozzie made the FO a little nuts with the manager's role. I think they're still just happy to be working with someone that they like. Need to aim higher, and outside the "family " preferably.

Won't happen til 2017 earliest.

About that time Paul Konerko should be ready for his next job...

Now Dick Allen knows how I felt during the Ozzie era. I felt like I was the only true Ozzie supporter. Dick is pretty much the only Robin supporter.

I could go either way on Robin but it's pretty obvious he's just another guy at best.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)

The defense is not talented. That isn't because of Robin Ventura. Bad at 3B, shaky at 1B and 2B, shaky in LF, and not so good in RF, and that is not even mentioning the catcher. And when Beckham , ome of the better defenders on the team gets in the game, everyone gets pissed off.

In 2013 and 2014, the White Sox lacked talent.

You can win with bad defense. The 1977 Southside Hitmen won 90 games with perhaps one of the worst major league defenses ever assembled.

But to be surprised, or say the sloppy defense is on Robin is not payimg attention. The defense was discussed a lot on the board this past winter.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
A guy resigns so that he won't be fired, no one else will hire him, and you call that retired.

Ok.

DA is nothing if not a tireless publicist. I'd hire him if I ever needed one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)
A guy resigns so that he won't be fired, no one else will hire him, and you call that retired.

Ok.

He lives in Georgia, the Braves job was the only one he would take after he left the White Sox and the White Sox didn't want him to leave. It is easy to say no one would hire him, but when that was said before, one of the better organizations in baesball hired him, so that assumption was wrong, and you offer nothing to say it is now correct.

So yeah, OK.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 05:53 PM)
He lives in Georgia, the Braves job was the only one he would take after he left the White Sox and the White Sox didn't want him to leave. It is easy to say no one would hire him, but when that was said before, one of the better organizations in baesball hired him, so that assumption was wrong, and you offer nothing to say it is now correct.

So yeah, OK.

I don't want you to leave either, but I'm sorry you're fired, you can't come back here either. I'm nice like that.

It's not even a lack of talent that is costing us defensively. This isn't a guy not getting to a ball he should have.

These are fundamental mistakes that basically every professional ballplayer should be making, and if he isn't making, he can practice making them until he consistently does make them.

However, for more than 2 full seasons, our players have not been making them.

This extends to situational hitting and base running too.

These are not talent issues; these are cultural issues.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 05:11 PM)
It's not even a lack of talent that is costing us defensively. This isn't a guy not getting to a ball he should have.

These are fundamental mistakes that basically every professional ballplayer should be making, and if he isn't making, he can practice making them until he consistently does make them.

Sticky this post.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)

Let's just call it "organizational tone/culture/expectations."

Basically, we are the anti-2002-04/06/10 Twins, Cardinals' Nation.

We are defined by mediocrity, slow starts, lumbering power hitters, poor drafting/inability to develop position players andor hitters, and less than impressive large market 2nd and 3rd place finishes to inferior markets when we should have a huge built-in advantage.

Only redemption was 2005.... Blip on the radar or anomaly.