Baltimore Riots

greg775

This is going to be a real question from my Chinese parents this week...as they decide on colleges/universities.

Is America really safe?

Wouldn't Canada, England or Australia be better for my child?

Chinese parents always hear in the media how dangerous Los Angeles is...for example, two Chinese students were murdered in their car near the USC campus a couple of years ago....and you had the totally weird "drowning/suicide" of a Chinese student in the water tank at the top of that famous/infamous motel (along with the video of her behaving strangely in the elevator).

Irony, also, that one of my seniors is going to VA TECH.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 06:05 PM)
" we also gave those who wish to destroy the space to do that as well".......Rioting sanctioned by the mayor of Baltimore...nicely done Mayor....nicely done....

Maybe they can bring back THE WIRE again...in light of all this.

Similar to the idea in that series of legalized drug-dealing zones...moving that activity away from children/schools.

I guess it's one thing to give people the right to protest and vent their frustrations...it's quite another to deliberately not protect private property and businesses.

Can the insurance companies sue the city as a result? I'm sure they will.

These people are driving into parking lots in minivans. Just saw on CNN a minivan pulls into a lot. And no kidding 5-6 people get out , leave the doors in the van ole n , and carrying bags they brought with them enter the store and steal what they can.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 09:54 PM)
The best way to change stereotypes is to perform the stereotypical act. Good job young black males of baltimore.

And equally good job Baltimore PD under the same standard right?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 09:04 PM)
And equally good job Baltimore PD under the same standard right?

It's called civilized society man. The PD f***ing up doesn't give you license to become a criminal. Its a city run by blacks too. It's not Ferguson.

This whole "the cops are just racist and have been for decades" excuse is just being abused at this point. I hope Baltimore implodes, anyone with money finally moves out and then the excuses can stop.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 10:12 PM)
It's called civilized society man. The PD f***ing up doesn't give you license to become a criminal. Its a city run by blacks too. It's not Ferguson.

This whole "the cops are just racist and have been for decades" excuse is just being abused at this point. I hope Baltimore implodes, anyone with money finally moves out and then the excuses can stop.

Yes, civilized society. Locking a guy in the back of the car with no seat belt, driving around hard, slamming him into the sides of the vehicle, and accidentally killing him. You know, civilized.

The PD F***ing up doesn't give people excuses to become criminals, but it's worth noting that you used the phrase "the police F***ing up" instead of "the police committing crimes."

Fill up a vat of gas, throw lit matches at it, and then become totally astonished and angry at the gasoline for exploding. Then go find another place with gasoline and repeat.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 09:17 PM)
Yes, civilized society. Locking a guy in the back of the car with no seat belt, driving around hard, slamming him into the sides of the vehicle, and accidentally killing him. You know, civilized.

The PD F***ing up doesn't give people excuses to become criminals, but it's worth noting that you used the phrase "the police F***ing up" instead of "the police committing crimes."

Fill up a vat of gas, throw lit matches at it, and then become totally astonished and angry at the gasoline for exploding. Then go find another place with gasoline and repeat.

No one is excusing the cops that f*** up and/or commit criminal acts. Clearly as you cited earlier they pay out in our court system (civilized!) when they do.

But you, on the other hand, are providing excuses and are supporting violent, criminal behavior as a response to illegal activity. Any sort of "yeah but the police are dicks!" responses is excusing the behavior and arguing that it's justified.

I mean for Christ's sake, they burned down a community center for poor elderly people. They ran into stores and looted. They robbed people on the streets. Why? What civilized person does that in response to police using excessive force and killing someone?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles...0426-story.html

In case you missed it from this past weekend, twitter comments from Orioles' VP John Angelos (Peter's brother).

He (Angelos) said a greater concern of his was "the past four-decade period during which an American political elite have shipped middle class and working class jobs away from Baltimore and cities and towns around the US to 3rd-world dictatorships like China" which he said has sent "tens of millions of good hard working Americans into economic devastation" and "an ever-declining standard of living and suffering."

"The innocent working families of all backgrounds whose lives and dreams have been cut short by excessive violence, surveillance and other abuses of the bill of rights by government pay the true price, and ultimate price, and one that far exceeds the importance of any kid's game played tonight, or ever, at Camden Yards," Angelos tweeted.

Micki38120 Rank 0

Just how much of the Baltimore Orioles' gear and fan gear is produced in Baltimore, or the US for that matter? Change starts by cleaning up your own house first.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 11:40 PM)
Orioles and MLB surely made the right decision...fan and officers' safety is paramount.

They can't afford to bang the whole series, though, and try to make it up later in the season.

They have to bang the whole series, caulfield, at least in Baltimore. I mean, my gosh, the fact it hasn't been canceled now as of 2 a.m., sickens me. Hopefully at 7 a.m. they will do the right thing and kill the series. This situation is ongoing and dangerous. If I'm a White Sox I take a stand and refuse to play.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 12:38 AM)
These people are driving into parking lots in minivans. Just saw on CNN a minivan pulls into a lot. And no kidding 5-6 people get out , leave the doors in the van ole n , and carrying bags they brought with them enter the store and steal what they can.

I'm telling you. The alarmists out there may be the smart ones. The ones who want to be armed to protect themselves in this crazy age we are living in. I mean, people grabbing bags to run amok in a mall? To steal stuff??? What the f*** is going on?

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 12:42 AM)
It's gonna be a crazy summer. Hopefully nothing happens in Chicago. This city is simmering as well.

Scary post, Taylor. But I hear you. Very very scary. Gosh I would hate to see Chicago burn like this.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 02:12 AM)

Here's a point to ponder. I bet you half the thugs rioting don't know their mayor is black and their other city officials are mostly black. These cops are to blame also. My gosh everything is filmed on cell phones nowadays and their brutality finally will be exposed over and over.

--Check out this video. How could these thugs burn down affordable senior housing and a church??

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/04/28/ct...s-in-baltimore/

Edited by greg775

when there is oppression, people will get fed up and protest. in this case the actions of the dept of the police is what is or has trigger what you are seeing. what people are seeing is still a continue act of oppression thru police corruption.

peaceful protest, to bring this attention of the action of citizens, is them getting fed up. this was suppose to bring it to the attentions of the "powers to be", it was meant to do good. however this kind of thuggery, that was an independent different group, does not justified the senseless need to cause millions of dollars of damages and stealing. just b/c they can. the lack of jobs for economical ends, moving out of the country is not a reason to justify this barrage of needless looting and violence on the pretense of 1 innocent death.

there could have been a better why, if these so call peaceful ministers would have insisted on a federal mediation group to investigate this. instead of allowing the police force to so call police itself. nah! there is a genuine lack of confidence in the present form of the local politics. this is the real reason for this.

this stupidity of the few police officers, tarnish the rep of the rest of the Police, men and woment who deserves credit for putting it on the line, being front and center between chaos and bedlam and the innocent people, are being looked at as the bad person.

i have said this is the past, how to fix it. tear it down and rebuild the system, by a drastic means. by getting the federal group to step in and clean house.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 01:40 AM)
when there is oppression, people will get fed up and protest. in this case the actions of the dept of the police is what is or has trigger what you are seeing. what people are seeing is still a continue act of oppression thru police corruption.

peaceful protest, to bring this attention of the action of citizens, is them getting fed up. this was suppose to bring it to the attentions of the "powers to be", it was meant to do good. however this kind of thuggery, that was an independent different group, does not justified the senseless need to cause millions of dollars of damages and stealing. just b/c they can. the lack of jobs for economical ends, moving out of the country is not a reason to justify this barrage of needless looting and violence on the pretense of 1 innocent death.

there could have been a better why, if these so call peaceful ministers would have insisted on a federal mediation group to investigate this. instead of allowing the police force to so call police itself. nah! there is a genuine lack of confidence in the present form of the local politics. this is the real reason for this.

this stupidity of the few police officers, tarnish the rep of the rest of the Police, men and woment who deserves credit for putting it on the line, being front and center between chaos and bedlam and the innocent people, are being looked at as the bad person.

i have said this is the past, how to fix it. tear it down and rebuild the system, by a drastic means. by getting the federal group to step in and clean house.

That's the point, nobody trusts anything that smacks of Federal intervention/mediation, the police departments won't accept it and it's just not an effective way to run a department...it would be like if a teacher had someone coming to their class and take notes and monitoring them on a class by class basis (to make sure they were teaching the curriculum/syllabus), if someone doesn't trust you to do the job you were hired to do, then there's something wrong with the system.

There's no confidence in either local, state or national politicians right now. Certainly not TRUST. This type of incident has happened so many times and been covered up or pushed under the rug that minority communities feel at this point there's no other alternative than attempting to garner as much media attention as possible.

Actually, Elijah Cummings is probably the most respected of all, the Congressman who gave the eulogy and who's widely-expected to run for Barbara Mikulski's Senate seat.

But the spark that ignited Monday's pandemonium likely started with high school students on social media.

An online flier advertised a "purge" after school Monday, starting at Baltimore's Mondawmin Mall, The Baltimore Sun reported.

The film "The Purge" (actually, there are two films) is about a dystopian future society in which all laws are suspended for one 24-hour period every year.

Baltimore authorities got wind of the plans, Police Commissioner Anthony Batts said.

"We had gotten information yesterday that at Mondawmin Mall, we're going to have a large 'purge' of high school students from across the city," Batts said. "We had pretty close to about 250 to 300 police officers staged in or around Mondawmin Mall at the time the youth got out of school."

A case of life imitating art? We always have these debates about violent video games results in "real world" violence, and now we have a movie (seemingly) directly influencing real life events.

from www.cnn.com

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/...ory.html#page=1

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 05:11 AM)
A case of life imitating art? We always have these debates about violent video games results in "real world" violence, and now we have a movie (seemingly) directly influencing real life events.

from www.cnn.com

That discussion has been around since the 90s. You could even say the Life is Immitating Media. The more you show, the more people start getting involved.

I would bet well more than half the people looting and stealing are just doing it and have nothing to do with the anger over the guys death.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 04:41 AM)
That discussion has been around since the 90s. You could even say the Life is Immitating Media. The more you show, the more people start getting involved.

I would bet well more than half the people looting and stealing are just doing it and have nothing to do with the anger over the guys death.

Yeah, I can't remember the exact movie....it was a Jennifer Lopez one, something about a train and kids trying to copy some of the same exact moves from the movie.

Money Train, maybe?

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 04:41 AM)

Yeah, I can't remember the exact movie....it was a Jennifer Lopez one, something about a train and kids trying to copy some of the same exact moves from the movie.

Money Train, maybe?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 10:33 PM)
No one is excusing the cops that f*** up and/or commit criminal acts. Clearly as you cited earlier they pay out in our court system (civilized!) when they do.

After all, I'm sure these are the only 2 times this has happened right?