2015 White Sox draft pick discussion

southsider2k5

QUOTE (LDF @ May 7, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
good one.

and i agree about what you said. in the beginning of the season, an article mention of Jay being stretch out as a start as a couple of others. however he reverted back to rp. something about this secondary pitches never fully developed to help him as a sp.

with that, i am still questioning the idea of it.

His secondary pitches are plus. He should be in Illinois' rotation but their rotation is stacked as it is.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 7, 2015 -> 06:14 PM)
His secondary pitches are plus. He should be in Illinois' rotation but their rotation is stacked as it is.

at the time, the articles didn't say anything else. were they 3 plus at the beginning?

also if the rotation is so stacked, then why are they ranked #11 as of yesterday div 1 standings.

the team will always use the #1 pitcher as a starter.

Kiley's first mock has Sox taking Jay:

8. White Sox – Tyler Jay, LHP, Illinois

Chicago is on Jay and he likely gets here as long as Colorado doesn’t take him, but it wouldn’t shock me if Minnesota or Boston have interest in Jay as well. The White Sox have also been tied to Fulmer and Funkhouser and are believed to be looking at mostly college pitchers for this pick, which you can’t question given their track record for developing arms.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/a-far-too-e...mlb-mock-draft/

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 7, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
I started against him and my team won 3-2. I hope he wins a Cy Young. Funkhowswer on the other hand handled me on both sides of the ball.

Since you have played against Funkhouser and Jay, which would you take if it came down to a choice between the two? And, if you don't mind, why?

I like that you have insight from a players perspective and not just a fan's perspective.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (LDF @ May 7, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
at the time, the articles didn't say anything else. were they 3 plus at the beginning?

also if the rotation is so stacked, then why are they ranked #11 as of yesterday div 1 standings.

the team will always use the #1 pitcher as a starter.

They are 40-6-1 and haven't lost since March. They are a really really good team and depending on the ranking you are using I've seen them as high as #3. There have been tons of comments about Jay having multiple plus pitches and stating that Illinois should be using him as a starter. The great unknown with Jay is how his endurance will be and if he can maintain velocity deep into games. Scouts don't seem to have any questions regarding his secondary pitches being good enough for a starter.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 8, 2015 -> 04:25 PM)
They are 40-6-1 and haven't lost since March. They are a really really good team and depending on the ranking you are using I've seen them as high as #3. There have been tons of comments about Jay having multiple plus pitches and stating that Illinois should be using him as a starter. The great unknown with Jay is how his endurance will be and if he can maintain velocity deep into games. Scouts don't seem to have any questions regarding his secondary pitches being good enough for a starter.

ok here is the link that i used for the rankings.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1

at the time of the ncaa baseball season, he was put back to the pen. he was tried as a starter. so theses scout you pointed out, i like to see the article. also he may have improved by now, and i also am wondering if it has anything to do with his height.... a generous 6'1 .

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerp....aspx?ID=306479

another nice write up on Jay

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colle...0507-story.html

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 8, 2015 -> 05:52 PM)
Here's my scouting report on Kyle Funkhouser:

http://www.reddit.com/r/MLBDraft/comments/...yle_funkhouser/

nice, a really nice write up.

i can see him, and if he can fix his command and control issue a solid #3. however that is what dropped him. the pro's had high hopes for him, esp coming into this season. i believe there was talk that him and several other pitchers would take that step up. instead, with his command / control not being up to snuff, he kinda stagnated, to put is nicely.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 8, 2015 -> 05:57 PM)
nice, a really nice write up.

i can see him, and if he can fix his command and control issue a solid #3. however that is what dropped him. the pro's had high hopes for him, esp coming into this season. i believe there was talk that him and several other pitchers would take that step up. instead, with his command / control not being up to snuff, he kinda stagnated, to put is nicely.

Thanks

John Manuel thinks his command has imoroved. And still has him as a top 10 pick.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 9, 2015 -> 02:23 AM)
Thanks

John Manuel thinks his command has imoroved. And still has him as a top 10 pick.

again, another gem to add for additional info to have.

here is a subtle take i got, in the second half, when asked how, if anything he can improve on, again command.

now i will play devil's advocate, what pitcher coming out of the draft, is 100% ready to pitch who doesn't need a little tweaking or work.