Who can the Sox sell?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)
If teams are going to "offer a crap load" to get a pitcher...there's a problem for us. Actually 2. Hamels and Cueto...both are better pitchers than Samardzija and both are likely available if teams are willing to make a major offer.

very true, but you are also not including other soon to be FA pitchers who will be available. that is why this talk of selling players on the majors team, and not the minors is not really doing it for me.

btw. excellent point.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points Balta. Hamels comes with control through the 18 season with an option for 19 which surely adds value as long he continues to perform.

LDF, I think you and just see things a bit differently. I really hope you're right as far as Sharks value.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ May 28, 2015 -> 07:10 PM)
Good points Balta. Hamels comes with control through the 18 season with an option for 19 which surely adds value as long he continues to perform.

LDF, I think you and just see things a bit differently. I really hope you're right as far as Sharks value.

you haven't realize, i live in the world in my mind. :lol:

i really never knew of shark and his horrible beginning of the season stats. those stats were brought up on this site and i was made aware of it thru the advance stats.

but the value is what is worth for the team who is buying. the sox gave up a lot for his services. i just can't see loosing in a trade to get rid of him.

just my opinion.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2015 -> 01:47 PM)
If teams are going to "offer a crap load" to get a pitcher...there's a problem for us. Actually 2. Hamels and Cueto...both are better pitchers than Samardzija and both are likely available if teams are willing to make a major offer.

Yes those 2 will get a larger return but it's also what teams are willing to give up to get them. The Phillies don't have to trade Hamels and they are trying to hold a kings ransom for him. Cueto could net alot but seeing how the reds will also lose leake they might be more inclined to try to keep cueto. Some of the other top pitchers that are free agents are on teams that are competing so they won't get dealt and others aren't pitching as well. The sox should get at least a teams top 10 prospect back for shark. Probably not a 1-5 but 6-10 could be doable.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ May 28, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)
Yes those 2 will get a larger return but it's also what teams are willing to give up to get them. The Phillies don't have to trade Hamels and they are trying to hold a kings ransom for him. Cueto could net alot but seeing how the reds will also lose leake they might be more inclined to try to keep cueto. Some of the other top pitchers that are free agents are on teams that are competing so they won't get dealt and others aren't pitching as well. The sox should get at least a teams top 10 prospect back for shark. Probably not a 1-5 but 6-10 could be doable.

Just last June the A's gave up a #1 prospect to Cubs -- Addison Russell.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ May 28, 2015 -> 08:42 PM)

i just love that picture of the sox logo and stuff on the white house.

yessss.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 28, 2015 -> 08:58 PM)
Just last June the A's gave up a #1 prospect to Cubs -- Addison Russell.

For a year an a half of a pitcher pitching much better. We're selling a worse version for just a couple months. And everyone in the world thought that was an overpay in the first place.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 29, 2015 -> 09:50 AM)
For a year an a half of a pitcher pitching much better. We're selling a worse version for just a couple months. And everyone in the world thought that was an overpay in the first place.

I don't think everyone in the world thought it was an overpay, and reality is starting to set in for Semien. He obviously still has good offensive numbers, but he has dropped about 70 points off his OPS the last couple of weeks, and now up to 18 errors. If he had 18 errors for the White Sox, he would be getting skewered here.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 29, 2015 -> 09:56 AM)
I don't think everyone in the world thought it was an overpay, and reality is starting to set in for Semien. He obviously still has good offensive numbers, but he has dropped about 70 points off his OPS the last couple of weeks, and now up to 18 errors. If he had 18 errors for the White Sox, he would be getting skewered here.

I was referring to the Addison Russell trade as the universally accepted overpay. I don't think we overpaid for Samardzija at all.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 29, 2015 -> 03:56 PM)

the majority of those errors are at what position.

the main reasoning behind that was, and i am sure, the thought of Micah and sanchez taking a regular at bat in the majors.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 29, 2015 -> 10:24 AM)
I was referring to the Addison Russell trade as the universally accepted overpay. I don't think we overpaid for Samardzija at all.

We didn't overpay, but it was still not a good decision for a 73 win team to trade for a rent

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 29, 2015 -> 09:50 AM)

It's not a worse version; he never was an ace. He got off to a bad start, but in another couple of weeks his numbers will be near identical to what they were with the Cubs. It's just 1 year less on the contract.

I certainly wouldn't sign him for the numbers bandied about.

I think we can get more value than a comp pick is worth.

Alexei needs to get his act together. I never expected him to replicate last season (which is why he should have been moved in December) but putting on clown shows really depresses value.

I like Laroche and think he has a lot of value; I also think we cannot go through another season with both Garcia and Cabrera in the OF, so one of those guys can DH. If no one will pay his value, keep him.

Are we going to get elite prospects for these guys? No. But we have a hard time finding basic competence at positions, so we might be able to really improve.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 29, 2015 -> 05:04 PM)
Alexei needs to get his act together. I never expected him to replicate last season (which is why he should have been moved in December) but putting on clown shows really depresses value.

I like Laroche and think he has a lot of value; I also think we cannot go through another season with both Garcia and Cabrera in the OF, so one of those guys can DH. If no one will pay his value, keep him.

Are we going to get elite prospects for these guys? No. But we have a hard time finding basic competence at positions, so we might be able to really improve.

not when there is no, and i mean no certified replacement to take over that position. i am talking about the defense.

again i will use this word. the org ASSUME that the org had a replacement for other positions and found out, that was not the case.

making a trade is ok, when the org knows that it was protected, but when that is not the case, how many games would be lost for that error in misjudgement.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 29, 2015 -> 10:27 AM)
not when there is no, and i mean no certified replacement to take over that position. i am talking about the defense.

again i will use this word. the org ASSUME that the org had a replacement for other positions and found out, that was not the case.

making a trade is ok, when the org knows that it was protected, but when that is not the case, how many games would be lost for that error in misjudgement.

I was hard on the "trade Alexei" train for a while. At one point I think I was the conductor, actually, because I thought Sanchez or Leury Garcia could handle it and I wanted to see if their bats would grow with regular PT. But after they made the Samardzija trade, it didn't make sense to move Alexei anymore, so I can't grumble there.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ May 28, 2015 -> 01:32 PM)
If you were the GM of a contending team, just how much would you give up for an aging/declining SS or a starting pitcher that got off to a bad start and will only be a two or three month rental?

IMO, I would not be willing to give up much for either one of them if I were a GM looking to upgrade. Let's also keep in mind that fans almost always over value their teams players.

Samardzija may have gotten off to a bad start but he's pitched well lately and now his season numbers are starting to look decent. His ERA is under 4.00 and his peripherals look good, he's 25th in WAR for starting pitchers this year. I still think the compensation pick will end up being better than any trade deadline haul we could get for him though.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 29, 2015 -> 02:09 PM)
Samardzija may have gotten off to a bad start but he's pitched well lately and now his season numbers are starting to look decent. His ERA is under 4.00 and his peripherals look good, he's 25th in WAR for starting pitchers this year. I still think the compensation pick will end up being better than any trade deadline haul we could get for him though.

If that's true then we're getting terribly bad offers for him. A single comp pick/the slight increase in associated money really isn't that great of a haul. It can be decent & helpful but its far enough back that there's >50% chance the guy never sees the big leagues. Keenyn Walker was probably a fair comp pick - guy with skills who was raw & never turned out for us.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2015 -> 07:16 PM)
If that's true then we're getting terribly bad offers for him. A single comp pick/the slight increase in associated money really isn't that great of a haul. It can be decent & helpful but its far enough back that there's >50% chance the guy never sees the big leagues. Keenyn Walker was probably a fair comp pick - guy with skills who was raw & never turned out for us.

i am going to play the devils advocate.

unless the sox owners and FO are really afraid of pulling the trade.

1. the team has finally turned it around or appears to have turned it around.

2. afraid that the fans will really abandoned the sox.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ May 29, 2015 -> 04:25 PM)
Astros lose Feldman for 6 weeks. Wonder how much more they will be looking at shark now

probably no more unless they can sweep us because hes back before deadline and were not at throw in the towel point yet.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 29, 2015 -> 07:58 PM)
i am going to play the devils advocate.

unless the sox owners and FO are really afraid of pulling the trade.

1. the team has finally turned it around or appears to have turned it around.

2. afraid that the fans will really abandoned the sox.

Who cares about the fans? If we win big they will come; if the Sox continue to flounder they won't.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2015 -> 08:35 PM)
Who cares about the fans? If we win big they will come; if the Sox continue to flounder they won't.

and if there are not afraid of the fans. then why come out with there press release on anything. there is a strange contradictions there.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 29, 2015 -> 04:42 PM)
and if there are not afraid of the fans. then why come out with there press release on anything. there is a strange contradictions there.

You can and should do everything you can to attract fans but you can't let what they want determine what is best for the franchise. Really simple. If you think they want a certain player...they will want a winning team more.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2015 -> 09:41 PM)
You can and should do everything you can to attract fans but you can't let what they want determine what is best for the franchise. Really simple. If you think they want a certain player...they will want a winning team more.

i like it. power to the people.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 29, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)
Samardzija will have value, but nowhere near the amount of value to get anything in the neighborhood of Addison Russell. Even if he rebounds, he's a pending free agent now, and he's the third best option on the market.

Yes, but the good thing is that #s1 and 2, Cueto and Hammel, will command an Addison Russel...thus, Samardzija is #1 in the affordable category. Should be something around a Peavy return.

As for SS, we could play Garcia or maybe even Saldino there (he's playing SS in Charlotte, for a reason I would presume).

Edited by GreenSox