Micah Johnson sent to Charlotte AAA

Downtown518

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ May 14, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
And JB Shuck is still on the team.

Shuck has a role to play, and he is just fine for it. Honestly, as a 4th OF, you don't want a real prospect doing it anyway. You want them getting AB's every single day. Shuck is just fine for what he is.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2015 -> 02:48 PM)
Shuck has a role to play, and he is just fine for it. Honestly, as a 4th OF, you don't want a real prospect doing it anyway. You want them getting AB's every single day. Shuck is just fine for what he is.

What's his role? Is he a better CF than Boni?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
Yes, a team is better going without a bench player, then to go with Shuck... Come on.

He's saying they are better off using the roster spot elsewhere. If Shuck was a masher against RHP or an elite defensive OF he'd have a role but he's not either.

This move is fine, whatever.

They should never have tried it from the beginning in a year they were attempting to contend, though. Everyone throughout the offseason said he didn't have enough AAA success or experience, so why the rush when the defensive fundamentals just wasn't there yet?

My biggest concern is that Beckham and Bonifacio play a lot now....the team finishes 5 games under .500 and the organization still has no clue about who should be playing 2B next year and ends up picking up Emilio's 2016 option, lol.

Hopefully it's very clear at the end of the year who should be the starter...not one of those situations where we're hoping and praying, like with Tyler Flowers and Conor.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ May 14, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
Shuck is garbage, were better off with no 4OF than Shuck.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2015 -> 01:56 PM)
Yes, a team is better going without a bench player, then to go with Shuck... Come on.

Uh, yeah.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 14, 2015 -> 01:57 PM)
I honestly wouldnt mind Trayce getting a crack at 4th OF

And he may get that shot. In fact I'd be surprised if he doesn't see Chicago sometime this year.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ May 14, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)
Having JB Shuck on the roster is like having 24 players on the roster. A guy who cant hit and cant defend has no place, were better off carrying a 3rd catcher because at least the temptation to let Shuck continue to hurt the team is gone.

Dude, relax. Shuck is not hurting this team right now. No, he's not a starting outfielder, but he's fine as a 4th outfielder. I don't know why you are singling him out when he barely plays.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ May 14, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
Having JB Shuck on the roster is like having 24 players on the roster. A guy who cant hit and cant defend has no place, were better off carrying a 3rd catcher because at least the temptation to let Shuck continue to hurt the team is gone.

He's hitting about .240, OBP .296, in 28 PA. No power. That's not starting grade, but you'll find it's pretty much in line with your typical 4th OF in the current modern game. Defensively he's more or less average or just below across his career across all three slots.

He's not great by any means, but he's barely playing and he's about what you'll usually get from a 4th OF. He's not even among the top 10 problems with this team.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 14, 2015 -> 03:14 PM)
He's hitting about .240, OBP .296, in 28 PA. No power. That's not starting grade, but you'll find it's pretty much in line with your typical 4th OF in the current modern game. Defensively he's more or less average or just below across his career across all three slots.

He's not great by any means, but he's barely playing and he's about what you'll usually get from a 4th OF. He's not even among the top 10 problems with this team.

I suggest you check his stats. He's Micah level bad in (granted SSS) in CF. -47 drs prorated for a season in his career. In fact, according to DRS (and you can quibble with it if you want) he's awful at every OF spot. Every. Single. Spot.

The eye test says the same thing. He failed to get to a couple balls going back that Eaton usually handles with no problem.

There's no role for him on this team, Boni is better in CF. If they are waiting to see how Trayce does that's fine but right now Thompson would at least give them a very good backup defensive CF.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

He's bad defensively. That one ball that bounced off the wall 5 feet to the right of him, what the hell was that? He sticks out as a guy on this team (which is horrible defensively) as a particularly bad defender. You can find a guy who can replicate his uselessness offensively but at least has an arm and an average glove with ease.

Dude, relax. Shuck is not hurting this team right now. No, he's not a starting outfielder, but he's fine as a 4th outfielder. I don't know why you are singling him out when he barely plays.

Because when he does play its a train wreck! It's so bad! That pathetic bunt attempt, the misplays in the OF, the guy is basically clueless. I dont have a problem with anyone on this team except for him. WAR isn't the end-all but he's accumulated a -.3 WAR in 28 PA... that's remarkably efficient at being horrible.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ May 14, 2015 -> 03:26 PM)
Because when he does play its a train wreck! It's so bad! That pathetic bunt attempt, the misplays in the OF, the guy is basically clueless. I dont have a problem with anyone on this team except for him. WAR isn't the end-all but he's accumulated a -.3 WAR in 28 PA... that's remarkably efficient at being horrible.

Yup. You're coming strong with this one. There is zero margin for error right now. Just because he's a the 4th OF doesn't mean you accept replacement level (or worse).

They let a strong spring talk them into it with Shuck. His stats for his career suck ass. There's a reason they got him for free.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 14, 2015 -> 12:30 PM)
Lillian?

Yes, I'm here. I've been reading the comments on this thread. You can guess that I'm pleased, as this is what I have been advocating.

I don't think that there is much question that Carlos will be starting. They aren't calling him up to sit on the bench. The question is where he bats.

I have consistently felt that Carlos could fill an important role, if he can hit. Having another switch hitter, who could take Melky's place, in the #2 hole,

gives the Sox the flexibility to move Melky further down in the order, where he can be more of a run producer.

That would be especially constructive against LH pitching. If Sanchez could bat 2ND, it would provide an opportunity to bat Melky somewhere in the heart of the order, instead of La Roche, who is simply inept vs. lefties, and should not start on those days. Adam could be a great option as a late inning pinch hitter.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 14, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
I suggest you check his stats. He's Micah level bad in (granted SSS) in CF. -47 drs prorated for a season in his career. In fact, according to DRS (and you can quibble with it if you want) he's awful at every OF spot. Every. Single. Spot.

The eye test says the same thing. He failed to get to a couple balls going back that Eaton usually handles with no problem.

There's no role for him on this team, Boni is better in CF. If they are waiting to see how Trayce does that's fine but right now Thompson would at least give them a very good backup defensive CF.

Since you like DRS: r-DRS/yr, career, across slots: 0 (so exactly average)

Dude has played a total of 90 innings in CF in his major league career - that's 10 full games. Taking any stat from that alone is absurd. Thus, I looked across the slots, where the numbers are big enough to maybe mean something.

So yeah, like I said, around average, statistically.

I don't pretend to have watch every inning he's played in CF this year, and he's only played 4 games there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 14, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)
Since you like DRS: r-DRS/yr, career, across slots: 0 (so exactly average)

Dude has played a total of 90 innings in CF in his major league career - that's 10 full games. Taking any stat from that alone is absurd. Thus, I looked across the slots, where the numbers are big enough to maybe mean something.

So yeah, like I said, around average, statistically.

I don't pretend to have watch every inning he's played in CF this year, and he's only played 4 games there.

The abuse of advanced stats like that is exactly why they get a bad name. Sample size, people, sample size.