Micah Johnson sent to Charlotte AAA

Downtown518

QUOTE (Condor13 @ May 14, 2015 -> 04:52 PM)
You do the smart thing and don't say anything, it accomplishes everything you want and does not make your organization look classless. The when you want to make a move you make it.

Did Hahn call a press conference to talk about great Micah Johnson is playing? Or was he asked a question by a reporter and chose not to say to the press "Micah is bad at defense and we're going to send him down in a couple days."

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 14, 2015 -> 06:31 PM)
At this point, is he ever going to be a good second baseman?

Position change, perhaps?

There is no other position on the diamond he's suited for given that he's already had arm issues. Putting him in a place where he has to make longer throws is a very risky move for his career.

He's made a lot of errors at every stop in the minors but they also pushed him aggressively upwards because his bat was playing. He's had very little time to adjust with the bat at every level, so finding time to continue working on defense was probably a challenge for him. Unfortunate side effect of pushing the kid up a level every 1/2 season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2015 -> 06:38 PM)
There is no other position on the diamond he's suited for given that he's already had arm issues. Putting him in a place where he has to make longer throws is a very risky move for his career.

He's made a lot of errors at every stop in the minors but they also pushed him aggressively upwards because his bat was playing. He's had very little time to adjust with the bat at every level, so finding time to continue working on defense was probably a challenge for him. Unfortunate side effect of pushing the kid up a level every 1/2 season.

One positive is that he's been healthy. This needed to happen for him to have a successful season and it can still be a successful season. Just go down and relax for a month or two knowing you've got some MLB experience and use it as motivation to get that big league p**** again.

As I said earlier, if he can't handle a demotion after playing roughly 20% of a MLB season below replacement, well, he's not going to make it anyways. If he's strong mentally, it will come out.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 14, 2015 -> 02:48 PM)
To me, this is a short-sighted move.

If they weren't willing to be more patient with him than this, they shouldn't have made him the stater.

100% agree with this. Young guys often press and it can hurt them in the field. I 100% believe Micah is a much better defensive player than the one we saw through the first six weeks. Now, does he have flaws that limit his upside with the glove? Sure he does, but he also has incredible range that can help offset those issues.

IMO, this looks like a move made out of desperation. Carlos is clearly the superior defender right now, but some people seem to be a bit overzealous about his offensive game. As I posted yesterday, Sanchez was absolutely terrible with the bat in his cup of coffee last year. While I think he's far better than what he showed last season, I have no reason to believe he will be a stronger contributor at the plate and on the bases than Micah would be going forward. Unless you think Micah's epically bad defense wouldn't improve over the course of the season, I think this move is pretty much a push for 2015. However, I think it could have long-term consequences.

Had Micah looked overmatched at the plate this move would be a no-brainer, but that's simply not the case.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 14, 2015 -> 05:45 PM)
100% agree with this. Young guys often press and it can hurt them in the field. I 100% believe Micah is a much better defensive player than the one we saw through the first six weeks. Now, does he have flaws that limit his upside with the glove? Sure he does, but he also has incredible range that can help offset those issues.

IMO, this looks like a move made out of desperation. Carlos is clearly the superior defender right now, but some people seem to be a bit overzealous about his offensive game. As I posted yesterday, Sanchez was absolutely terrible with the bat in his cup of coffee last year. While I think he's far better than what he showed last season, I have no reason to believe he will be a stronger contributor at the plate and on the bases than Micah would be going forward. Unless you think Micah's epically bad defense wouldn't improve over the course of the season, I think this move is pretty much a push for 2015. However, I think it could have long-term consequences.

Had Micah looked overmatched at the plate this move would be a no-brainer, but that's simply not the case.

Yea but we're trying to win this year. The FO feels we can win and I agree with them. While not overmatched at the plate, MJ's D has cost us some serious runs so far. I can think of like 10 off the top of my head and I haven't watched every game. And it's not just those plays...it's the fact that those plays have lead to our SPs having extended innings causing them to get shelled.

We're going to be tight up the middle now and I think it'll be huge. CS just needs to foul off pitches with the bat and stay above .300 with the OBP.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 14, 2015 -> 07:36 PM)
Yea but we're trying to win this year. The FO feels we can win and I agree with them. While not overmatched at the plate, MJ's D has cost us some serious runs so far. I can think of like 10 off the top of my head and I haven't watched every game. And it's not just those plays...it's the fact that those plays have lead to our SPs having extended innings causing them to get shelled.

We're going to be tight up the middle now and I think it'll be huge. CS just needs to foul off pitches with the bat and stay above .300 with the OBP.

I'm pretty confident he can do 260/290/350 but I'm not sure about anything more than that. We'll see. Defense tho, yea, he's electric at times and has great hands. It's fun to watch him. Arm isn't the strongest but great instinctual middle infielder.

Honestly would not be mad if Gordon became starting 3b. I have zero confidence in Gillaspie doing the following:

- Coming in toward a chopper

- Going to his left

- Going to his right

I'm fine with him going backward and staying put.

Beckham's overexposed offense

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 14, 2015 -> 06:39 PM)
I'm pretty confident he can do 260/290/350 but I'm not sure about anything more than that. We'll see. Defense tho, yea, he's electric at times and has great hands. It's fun to watch him. Arm isn't the strongest but great instinctual middle infielder.

We may ultimately have a good rotation 1-4 with a wildcard #5 who when his is good can keep ball low and get grounders.

We have a bullpen full of guys with downward movement to get grounders.

As I mentioned before the season started, Sanchez's up the middle defense seemed much more of a fit to the team mold than Micah.

Micah is not a bust. He held his own offensively which is difficult for sox prospects. Now he needs to get reps and reps and reps on d. Not a bad start.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 14, 2015 -> 07:36 PM)

Based om his performance in May at Charlotte, hitting .222 and no walks, .300 OBP will be difficult to attain. His OBP last fall w the call-up. was .269. Hopefully he hits .250 but provides outstanding defense.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ May 14, 2015 -> 07:11 PM)
Based om his performance in May at Charlotte, hitting .222 and no walks, .300 OBP will be difficult to attain. His OBP last fall w the call-up. was .269. Hopefully he hits .250 but provides outstanding defense.

What are you talking about? Sanchez is hitting .352 in the month of May.

It's common knowledge that Sanchez has been tearing up AAA since his demotion, though he's cooled off lately, has an unsustainable BABiP, and rarely walks.

Edited by Señor Ding-Dong

Is there ANY example over the last decade where we've handled young players extremely well (and, no, the response had better not be Alexei Ramirez or Jose Abreu) in terms of their promotion schedule and development.....???

This feels like 2006, where Anderson's offense suddenly became a problem in the 2nd half when the rest of the team started struggling. Micah became the scapegoat for the bad D, instead of guys like Eaton, Flowers/Soto, Alexei, Avi, Conor, etc. It also feels like a repeat of last season, when they pulled the plug on Semien.

The problem is that the young player always suffers when we're selling the fanbase that we're competing...whereas the even bigger problems are never addressed.

Oh, well.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 14, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)
yea any talk of "scapegoat" is ridiculous. He's been historically awful. You can't have that.

Let's just put it this way.

They have zero solutions for the defensive struggles of Eaton, Flowers/Soto, Avi and Alexei in Charlotte or BIRM.

They DO have the option of playing Beckham, Bonifacio (not that he's a Gold Glover, either) and Sanchez more often at 2B and 3B.

(And no, bringing up Rondon to play SS isn't a solution, either.)

Edited by caulfield12

In spring I was huge champion of Micah. But I like the move today. Micah's defense is truly bad. Like not worth of Major Leagues bad. And he was not doing enough on the bases to merit staying. It bums me out because we haven't had that kinda speed in ages. Maybe he will be back but my faith in him as a legit big leaguer has waned unless he becomes a pinch runner in a post season push.

Sanchez is what he is. Lower ceiling, higher floor. I hope he hits anywhere near what he is in AAA. And make no mistake. Carlos is not THAT good on D. he's above average with an average arm. But by comparison, that's a big upgrade.

the D in yesterday's game was dramatically better and refreshing.

2b isn't the only issue. this team needs overall upgrades at 3B and C. Both D liabilities. Abreu is too but he's not going anywhere. Even though LaRoche scooped at least two I don't think Abreu would have yesterday.

As for those saying Gordon or Emilio at 2nd. No and here's why. Has gordon not had his chances? He's doing well now BECAUSE of the role he was in? Should he get another chance? Maybe next year. This year it's way too early to go back to him. Plus we need him late game sub for Conor honestly. And Emilio. Emilio is NOT a good defensive 2b. Better than Micah? Yep. Better than Sanchez or Gordon? Not even close. His best defense is OF. those guys are super subs and good ones. Carlos is the right call. Patch the hole and go out and get a 3b at the deadline. One who can field AND hit.

Will it get appreciably better at this point in his career?

The mistake was not having him in Charlotte at the beginning of the year.

Sanchez needs to play every day. None of this sit behind Bonifacio stuff, whom they put in the 2 hole the other night .

Edited by GreenSox

I didn't read the whole thread but to think of last year when Hawk was singing Micah's praises like he was the next great thing ... to the reality, now. It's just sad. Hopefully he's not a complete bust.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 15, 2015 -> 12:10 AM)
Altuve lite?

Though unlikely, I could actually see that in a best-case scenario. Most see Sanchez as a future utility guy, but I think there's a decent enough chance that he can be a starter in this league ranging anywhere from below average to slighty-above average.

If I had to put odds on it, I'd say:

Utility- 60%

Starter- 35%

Altuve-lite: 5%

Whatever becomes of him, he should be able to stick in the majors for awhile because he's a good defender and can put the bat on the ball.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 14, 2015 -> 08:48 PM)
To me, this is a short-sighted move.

If they weren't willing to be more patient with him than this, they shouldn't have made him the stater.

Amen brother. Good post. The more I think about this move the more it makes me mad. They weren't very patient with ol Micah, but Robin??? Hmmm. I mean Micah is hitting .270 isn't he? That's not .195.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 14, 2015 -> 09:06 PM)
Please don't cite number of errors in defensive arguments. I'm a Micah defender in some ways, but even I can see plainly he is struggling defensively.

I often got ripped on here in the past for my "eye test" commentary on players.

here is what i am seeing but mostly what i am thinking.

how many posters were happy to see Micah go north with the team? now of those, how many are saying it was a bad move b/c of his defense?

i know i was making this a rhetorical question, but why change sides. bottom line he is in the minors and hopefully will not be damage from this.

now re: Sanchez. this one i am serious about. how many 2b have it all, defense, offense and avg? not many, Sanchez can be a good serviceable 2b, the kind that is worth sacrificing for his defense. i would embrace that, he will be helping in a huge way, solidifying the infield, maybe even to a point, games will be won.

again, little steps to righting this team.

here is what i am seeing but mostly what i am thinking.

how many posters were happy to see Micah go north with the team? now of those, how many are saying it was a bad move b/c of his defense?

i know i was making this a rhetorical question, but why change sides. bottom line he is in the minors and hopefully will not be damage from this.

now re: Sanchez. this one i am serious about. how many 2b have it all, defense, offense and avg? not many, Sanchez can be a good serviceable 2b, the kind that is worth sacrificing for his defense. i would embrace that, he will be helping in a huge way, solidifying the infield, maybe even to a point, games will be won.

again, little steps to righting this team.

I thought Micah needed to start the year at AAA. I thought Sanchez/Bonifacio should have been the 2B combo.