Micah Johnson sent to Charlotte AAA

Downtown518

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 14, 2015 -> 04:20 PM)
LOL cmon man. Think big picture and you'll feel better. This is how every job in the world that requires balls goes- all the training in the world can't prepare you for the real fire. Sure many jobs you can go to school and slide right in...but the man jobs...gotta jump in to see where you stand, then work on your shortcomings. Any job with balls is like this. I think the Sox did good in letting him find out he wasn't ready. Kind of like the Hawkins promotion. "Look kid, i know you've had success but it ain't gonna work against the best." I think the FO thought his offense was going to be better to overshadow the D. Didn't happen, no big deal, and thank GOD you aren't in charge. Just kidding 😄

I think you missed my point, the demotion was fine just not how they did it. You don't give a guy a vote of confidence and then before he plays another inning you demote him. That's not how you run any business. It creates a major distrust after the fact and might ha e some far lasting negative impacts around the clubhouse.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Condor13 @ May 14, 2015 -> 03:31 PM)
I think you missed my point, the demotion was fine just not how they did it. You don't give a guy a vote of confidence and then before he plays another inning you demote him. That's not how you run any business. It creates a major distrust after the fact and might ha e some far lasting negative impacts around the clubhouse.

If you read what Hahn said, he pretty clearly implied that what he is telling you and me through the press, isn't necessarily what he is telling the players and coaches in private.

QUOTE (Condor13 @ May 14, 2015 -> 03:31 PM)

You realize if Micah performed, this wouldn't even happen, right?

They gave him a MLB tryout and guess what? He didn't make the cut and rightfully so.

Naming someone the opening day starter is not mutually inclusive with a vote of confidence.

Players know they have to perform because there are plenty of people waiting in the wings to take their place if they fall flat on their face.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 14, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
You realize if Micah performed, this wouldn't even happen, right?

They gave him a MLB tryout and guess what? He didn't make the cut and rightfully so.

Naming someone the opening day starter is not mutually inclusive with a vote of confidence.

Players know they have to perform because there are plenty of people waiting in the wings to take their place if they fall flat on their face.

No idea where you have been but Rick Hahn gave Micah a vote of confidence on Tuesday

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
If you read what Hahn said, he pretty clearly implied that what he is telling you and me through the press, isn't necessarily what he is telling the players and coaches in private.

Pretty sure that's the definition of two-faced

QUOTE (Condor13 @ May 14, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
Pretty sure that's the definition of two-faced

Welcome to the real world. The Sox are more interested in protecting their product then they are with telegraphing every single move they make. Why in the world would they go to the media to tell them where they are looking to make a move? Why would you give that kind of power to the other 29 teams in MLB?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2015 -> 04:47 PM)
Welcome to the real world. The Sox are more interested in protecting their product then they are with telegraphing every single move they make. Why in the world would they go to the media to tell them where they are looking to make a move? Why would you give that kind of power to the other 29 teams in MLB?

You do the smart thing and don't say anything, it accomplishes everything you want and does not make your organization look classless. The when you want to make a move you make it.

This sounds like strictly a defensive change because Sanchez has been in a slump all of May. He also has a terrible BB/SO ratio but he was hitting for average early on. Sounds like Beckham will be playing a bigger role

QUOTE (Condor13 @ May 14, 2015 -> 04:52 PM)
You do the smart thing and don't say anything, it accomplishes everything you want and does not make your organization look classless. The when you want to make a move you make it.

I gotta disagree here and go with 2k5. If you're asked about a struggling player, or even a coach on a struggling team, and you're the GM, if you don't give that player a "vote of confidence" then you're undermining that player/coach even more.

There's a reason why the worst thing for a head coach is to receive a public vote of confidence from his GM, that means the GM is being asked about that coach and whether or not he needs replaced.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
I gotta disagree here and go with 2k5. If you're asked about a struggling player, or even a coach on a struggling team, and you're the GM, if you don't give that player a "vote of confidence" then you're undermining that player/coach even more.

There's a reason why the worst thing for a head coach is to receive a public vote of confidence from his GM, that means the GM is being asked about that coach and whether or not he needs replaced.

Yeah, the last thing you want is for him to either ignore the comment, or tell the truth. That makes for an even bigger story then this does.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ May 14, 2015 -> 03:58 PM)
This sounds like strictly a defensive change because Sanchez has been in a slump all of May. He also has a terrible BB/SO ratio but he was hitting for average early on. Sounds like Beckham will be playing a bigger role

Defensively the team has been awful and part of that is the middle infield is brutal. Need to shore up at least what they can.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2015 -> 09:47 PM)

outstanding!!!!

btw, i really thought of it that way.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2015 -> 08:54 PM)
I know this conversation has been had before and all, but THIS seems like a Kenny Williams move. Give a guy a vote of confidence one day, bench him the next, and send to to Charlotte the day after? Yeah, that doesn't sound like Rick Hahn at all.

i will walk a thin line here. the org move on keeping him up is a move normal for the FO will do, but a move to get the fans involve.

that is all i will try to say.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 14, 2015 -> 01:38 PM)
Ok to call this a complete failure of the white sox policy of aggressively pushing prospects up to the big leagues as fast as possible and an admission of that failure/attempt to correct it?

Why would you choose not to just see it as "we'll try out this guy first and see how he works out. ALL THE WHILE being aware of the fact that the guy who didn't get the job merely was sent to AAA to play baseball. We did not vaporize him. He continued to be alive. So switching between the two players is an extraordinarily easy non-event."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2015 -> 05:48 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 2m2 minutes ago

Thriving in new role for White Sox, Gordon Beckham will stay put: http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7/71/60...hell-stay-right

Glad to see that. Even though I think Gordon should get some additional playing time, I want to see him continue at 3b. He's had his career as a Sox 2b, it didn't work out. We have plenty of middle IF prospects. Give Sanchez a shot and keep Beckham at 3rd

Edited by DashFan

QUOTE (Jake @ May 14, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
I've seen Gordon put up 115 wRC+ numbers for a scattered month or so for years and I know it just isn't real. Use him like you've been using him. He would be better than Micah, but I doubt he'd be better than Sanchez.

Sanchez obviously will be given the starting job first. Do you think he will hit better than Beckham over the course of the year?

Southsider2k is correct and you know I don't like agreeing with him! Public vote of confidence is standard operating procedure. It's not good form to trash any player publicly even if he has been sucking.

This move, along with the whole "ORG tells RV things" story seem related. I wonder how much control RV has over his 25 guys and if he was a vote for Micah over Sanchez. There is a lot more here than just a simple roster move IMO. Something happened behind the scenes, a power struggle perhaps.

or it could just be a roster move, one that seems obvious to this fan.

Either way, glad it happened.