2015-16 NHL thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
Taking a step back, this is an absolutely dreadful offseason for the Blackhawks. Even if he is "cleared", it is a huge problem that Patrick Kane keeps putting himself in these situations

If he's cleared though, what "situation" has he put himself in? Going out with friends? Sleeping with someone?

I don't know if he's got a girlfriend or not (if he did, then obviously there's the cheating component), but if he's single and he's cleared of wrongdoing, he has not put himself in any "situation."

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 07:16 PM)
If he's cleared though, what "situation" has he put himself in? Going out with friends? Sleeping with someone?

I don't know if he's got a girlfriend or not (if he did, then obviously there's the cheating component), but if he's single and he's cleared of wrongdoing, he has not put himself in any "situation."

again if he is cleared.

this is the common problem of what the young superstars are getting into. no one can predict anything like that.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)

Still need more details, but we know there was a kit. We also know he didn't contact the Blackhawks about his situation, so they're more in the dark than even we are. And don't think a clearance won't get him suspended. That seems inevitable now, as the NHL does NOT have to obey the "innocent until proven guilty" clause.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 02:28 PM)
Still need more details, but we know there was a kit. We also know he didn't contact the Blackhawks about his situation, so they're more in the dark than even we are. And don't think a clearance won't get him suspended. That seems inevitable now, as the NHL does NOT have to obey the "innocent until proven guilty" clause.

It seems really weird for the NHL to suspend him if he were cleared of the charges.

If he survives this situation as not being guilty, it would behoove him to have a security system put in place in his house that records everything, all the time, to prevent future incidents. If he is guilty, then he has to deal with the courts.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 08:28 PM)

ref the bold, how do you know on these 2 bold, esp what the hawks knows or do not know????

second, we do not need to know more.... it is personal and it will be taken care of thru proper channels.

you are really making a lot of assumptions in this whole post you made.

QUOTE (RegionSox @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)
It seems really weird for the NHL to suspend him if he were cleared of the charges.

It would happen in any other league. If it were the NFL, you're looking at a quarter of a season suspension (Greg Hardy). I expect the NHL to hold Kane to the same standard.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)
If he survives this situation as not being guilty, it would behoove him to have a security system put in place in his house that records everything, all the time, to prevent future incidents. If he is guilty, then he has to deal with the courts.

If the rumor that the woman was very young is true, the camera doesn't help. The issue could be a matter of consent or her age, which is grey and a camera doesn't necessarily help.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (RegionSox @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)

The response should be that they are going to follow the law and unless/until there is a guilty verdict, he is a hockey player and member of the Blackhawks, and presumed to be innocent. End of story. You are not 'aiding rape culture' by letting him play or be in the team while this is adjudicated, and you are not pandering to those calling for his head without evidence yet. The NHL is about hockey, not justice, social or otherwise.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)

Yeah, I mean if he is cleared and it wasnt actually rape, going out and meeting and sleeping with a girl is a situation we've all been in.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)
The response should be that they are going to follow the law and unless/until there is a guilty verdict, he is a hockey player and member of the Blackhawks, and presumed to be innocent. End of story. You are not 'aiding rape culture' by letting him play or be in the team while this is adjudicated, and you are not pandering to those calling for his head without evidence yet. The NHL is about hockey, not justice, social or otherwise.

This posts oozes naivete. This line of thinking he is dead. The NHL cannot have a player under investigation for rape on the ice. Period.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)
If the rumor that the woman was very young is true, the camera doesn't help. The issue could be a matter of consent or her age, which is grey and a camera doesn't necessarily help.

I think that was a false rumor, but a girl can look 40, show you an ID that says she is 40, and if you have sex with her and she really is underage, you still are looking at a lot of trouble.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 08:37 PM)
This posts oozes naivete. This line of thinking he is dead. The NHL cannot have a player under investigation for rape on the ice. Period.

get real. you are calling AD naive and yet you are talking about something like you are a voice of authority????

do you work for the NHL front office, and if not, how do you know how they will react.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
get real. you are calling AD naive and yet you are talking about something like you are a voice of authority????

do you work for the NHL front office, and if not, how do you know how they will react.

I am real, dude. The NFL punishes people who settle or are cleared. I expect the NHL to do the same.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)

So a few false police reports during playoffs can tip the scales? He is accused, not (yet) guilty.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 08:47 PM)
I am real, dude. The NFL punishes people who settle or are cleared. I expect the NHL to do the same.

nhl, nfl, nba ml are all different and have different ways of running their league. again you are making an assumption.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 02:48 PM)
nhl, nfl, nba ml are all different and have different ways of running their league. again you are making an assumption.

I assumed the NHL takes violence against women as seriously as the NFL now does. I would count on not having Patrick Kane of at least 20 games if I'm the Blackhawks.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 07:52 PM)
I assumed the NHL takes violence against women as seriously as the NFL now does. I would count on not having Patrick Kane of at least 20 games if I'm the Blackhawks.

i really do mean this with respect.

but i find you hopeless and i am not going to reply to any of your stuff.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 02:52 PM)

Hitting a woman is not the same as rape. If he's convicted of rape or somehow there's damning evidence he'd never play in the NHL. Otherwise it's he said vs she said. Not the case with domestic violence where there is often easily physical evidence or witnesses available.

Rape is obviously the more severe crime but it's also one that comes with MUCH more benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)
It would happen in any other league. If it were the NFL, you're looking at a quarter of a season suspension (Greg Hardy). I expect the NHL to hold Kane to the same standard.

Hardy is a pretty unique situation. He was first found guilty, then found innocent in his second trial(when the accuser mysteriously went on an around the world trip with mysterious funds). Hard to hold that standard with anyone

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)

If Kane gets charged, I agree, he isn't playing while awaiting trial. But he either will be charged or cleared before the season starts.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)

Why are you lead to believe that all other professional entities will act as the NFL does? They arent quite the model of conduct that everyone wants to follow.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)
Why are you lead to believe that all other professional entities will act as the NFL does? They arent quite the model of conduct that everyone wants to follow.

Sorry, but the recent NFL struggles with violence against women is precedence enough.

Either way, the EA sports cover is gone.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)
Sorry, but the recent NFL struggles with violence against women is precedence enough.

Either way, the EA sports cover is gone.

They suspended Brady more games than they did Hardy. I dont know what type of stand they are taking on behalf of women.