2015-16 NHL thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 03:38 PM)
Wait, we are now using the NFL as the gold standard of punishment? LOL

No, we're using it as a precedence. The worst league of all of them when it comes to punishing abusers gave a guy 4 games (1/4 season) for being cleared of a crime. I would expect, the NHL is better, the NHL would outdo that, for sure.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 03:46 PM)
No, we're using it as a precedence. The worst league of all of them when it comes to punishing abusers gave a guy 4 games (1/4 season) for being cleared of a crime. I would expect, the NHL is better, the NHL would outdo that, for sure.

Ah yes a blanket precedence, its not like another player had been accused of rape in the NHL before or anything....

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 01:27 AM)
Stop. Rock, you are better than that.

NONE of us can compare our lives to a guy like Patrick Kane. He is in an entire different class, just like any other star athlete is.

For the sake of this post, lets play the assumption game, and lets say he met a girl at a bar, lets say she was of legal age, and they slept together on a one night stand. That right there is a gigantic error in judgment, ESPECIALLY given his previous issues with extracurricular activities. Yes, it happens all the time, and yes in some ways it's not fair that he can't live a single man's lifestyle like a lot of do or have in the past. However, with a 10 million per contract and being one of the faces of your sport, that's part of the ballgame. It just is. You HAVE to be smarter than that. It's incredibly poor judgment to put yourself in that spot, as well as the organization that has stood by you after he has already had issues.

Just an incredibly disappointing situation for all involved.

i see your point but i totally disagree. he is young, rich and famous. now he has to really think of the little things when he is getting it on with a lady.....

i guess that is now coming with the game of being single, rich, young and famous.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 02:41 AM)
Disagree with what? He is young rich and famous so he can throw it in whatever he wants with no repercussions?

that the point, any young man wouldn't have to think of that, except for using protection.

now with these young men in sports has to really think of those, as you said repercussions.

again i see your point, but it sucks.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 02:57 AM)
Again, He Isn't any young man. He is a multi-millionaire that is the face of a billion dollar franchise. If you are willing to sign an 80 million dollar contract, that comes with responsibilities.

You know when sports scribes talk about having "veteran leadership" in a clubhouse? A huge part of that is about how to act off the field. How to deal with the line of women that are in every hotel lobby you stay in. How to protect yourself from stories coming out. It's all part of it. Believe me. You CANT compare Kane to s normal 27 year old.

I'm not saying he has to be a good school boy. Far from it. But when you are a public figure, you are also a target. It's the same when you are an actor, musician, or public executive. You have to have a vetting process with ANYONE that comes into your life.

And if you think I'm wrong on any of this, find out how the Blackhawk front office feels about this right. They are livid.

again, i really do see your point and with your pov, i agree.

but then again, i still feel sorry for him and still think is sucks to have to keep that whole thing in the back of everyone mind.

now, i bet all will keep that in their mind from now on.

thanks

FWIW, Kane does (did?) have a girlfriend. He admitted so on the ice after they won and he admitted it again on Sportstalk Live when he got interviewed after the opening ceremonies of the convention, saying he was going to go on a vacation with his girlfriend to get away for a bit.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 02:20 AM)
I have a hard time feeling any sympathy for him or any professional athlete. You yourself said "Any young man wouldn't normally have to be in that situation or think about it".

You're right. But any young man doesn't have a penthouse in Trump Tower. Any young man isn't royalty in this town. Any young man doesn't have the benefit of making over 100 million dollars in his career before the age of 35. He is living an INCREDIBLY fortunate life, and he deserves all of that based on his talents. No one should take that away from him, and based on the money he has brought to the organization, the league and the city of Chicago, he deserves every penny and probably more.

But with all that luxury comes a change in lifestyle. Stop feeling sorry for him that he has to be more careful with the people he surrounds himself with. Stop making him the victim in any of this. Even if it comes back innocent of charges, he still put himself, and more importantly the organization who gave him all these opportunities, in a tremendously bad situation.

(I'm not coming after you directly LDF, it's just incredibly frustrating to see these types of posts.It's wrong.)

well thanks for that little bit of info, ref the bold. i am ok with this b/c it is a good debate.

now let me further say, i would feel the same about any sports figure. but that is a fine line those people are walking. however if he is innocent that is what i am saying. but if he is not, then he would have to face its consequences.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 05:21 AM)
But the point I'm trying to make, is that even if he is innocent, but it's proven they did have consensual sex, he still made a gigantic error in judgement, for the fact he got involved with a girl that was capable of creating a story like that. Was the drunken hook up worth it? THOSE are the "sacrifices" you have to make when you are a high profile star. You can't let yourself get into vulnerable situations when you have that much riding on it. You have to be smarter than that. He's a 26 year old adult, he's not a kid.

That's the point I'm making, and why I'm extremely disappointed in Kane.

i totally agree with this.... but there are past stories like this, the mike tyson situation comes to mind.

well, all this is on their shoulder.

many thanks.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 08:27 PM)
Stop. Rock, you are better than that.

NONE of us can compare our lives to a guy like Patrick Kane. He is in an entire different class, just like any other star athlete is.

For the sake of this post, lets play the assumption game, and lets say he met a girl at a bar, lets say she was of legal age, and they slept together on a one night stand. That right there is a gigantic error in judgment, ESPECIALLY given his previous issues with extracurricular activities. Yes, it happens all the time, and yes in some ways it's not fair that he can't live a single man's lifestyle like a lot of do or have in the past. However, with a 10 million per contract and being one of the faces of your sport, that's part of the ballgame. It just is. You HAVE to be smarter than that. It's incredibly poor judgment to put yourself in that spot, as well as the organization that has stood by you after he has already had issues.

Just an incredibly disappointing situation for all involved.

I'm failing to see why this is a problem. What decade is it again? Do you really not think that nearly every professional athlete, musician or actor is not doing the exact same thing, even many of the married ones? If going to a bar and hooking up with a girl is a crime then lock us all up and throw away the key.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 11:14 AM)
I'm failing to see why this is a problem. What decade is it again? Do you really not think that nearly every professional athlete, musician or actor is not doing the exact same thing, even many of the married ones? If going to a bar and hooking up with a girl is a crime then lock us all up and throw away the key.

while i totally agree with you, esp when a young man is hooking up or thinking of the big deed. there is still some uncertainty in this situation that none of us, knows.

however with ref to tony's post, it is pov of having a higher ethical standard.

but i will emphasize the fact that i keep using the young man phrase. the main reason, young men, regardless whether they have the world in their hands, the raging hormones causes men to go crazy and do stupid, illogical actions. :D

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 06:54 AM)
while i totally agree with you, esp when a young man is hooking up or thinking of the big deed. there is still some uncertainty in this situation that none of us, knows.

however with ref to tony's post, it is pov of having a higher ethical standard.

but i will emphasize the fact that i keep using the young man phrase. the main reason, young men, regardless whether they have the world in their hands, the raging hormones causes men to go crazy and do stupid, illogical actions. :D

I get that he is trying to say it's unethical or immoral, but why is two consenting adults (if that indeed is the case) having sex an issue whatsoever?

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 07:30 AM)
I get that he is trying to say it's unethical or immoral, but why is two consenting adults (if that indeed is the case) having sex an issue whatsoever?

The point is that as a rich, high profile individual you become a target for someone to try and take advantage of when you agree to sex with a stranger. They know who you are, but you dont know them. As someone earlier said, as a person like Kane, you need to vet anyone who wants to become close with you be they friend or potential sex partner.

We dont yet know what happened, but either way hes going to come out of this looking stupid. If he raped and its proven, felony. If he didnt, he looks dumb for getting mixed up with a scam artist.

If he comes out of this he better quit drinking. I think the blackhawks would be within their right to request he attend AA and quit drinking. Its obvious that he, like all of us, become incredibly stupid when drunk.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 09:41 AM)
The point is that as a rich, high profile individual you become a target for someone to try and take advantage of when you agree to sex with a stranger. They know who you are, but you dont know them. As someone earlier said, as a person like Kane, you need to vet anyone who wants to become close with you be they friend or potential sex partner.

We dont yet know what happened, but either way hes going to come out of this looking stupid. If he raped and its proven, felony. If he didnt, he looks dumb for getting mixed up with a scam artist.

If he comes out of this he better quit drinking. I think the blackhawks would be within their right to request he attend AA and quit drinking. Its obvious that he, like all of us, become incredibly stupid when drunk.

I completely agree with this. If he is innocent, this is a must.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)

this to to dangerous for me to make any assumption. i will stick with the facts and let any so-called rumors go by with answering. this ability of social network can build its following.

now for another part, social gatherings, this is how many people find their partners for life at these times and gatherings.

again i just hope for the best. it is not going to be pretty.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)
this to to dangerous for me to make any assumption. i will stick with the facts and let any so-called rumors go by with answering. this ability of social network can build its following.

now for another part, social gatherings, this is how many people find their partners for life at these times and gatherings.

again i just hope for the best. it is not going to be pretty.

It isnt dangerous to assume that Kane becomes stupid when he drinks, he has pretty much proven it. Hopefully this case of stupidity was one of misplaced trust, and not rape