Who do you want to see replace Robin as manager of the Sox?

Boopa1219

What Kind Of Manager Do You Want  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Experience

• First Time Manager
    • Veteran Re-Tread
  2. 2. Background

• Old School
    • Sabremetrics

I have been a pretty big Robin supporter over the course of his tenure but after the past 10 games I have had enough, I think that White Sox should part ways with Robin Ventura. Getting rid of Robin won't solve all the problems that plague the team but it would be a step in the right direction. I really want Rick Hahn to hire his own manager and with that manager establish a culture of winning, where they teach and approach the game the same way throughout the entire organization (DSL to MLB).

Let me start off by mentioning two names: Bo Porter and Brandon Hyde.

Porter was the manager of the Astros from 2013 to 2014, I think that despite the fact that the Astros were clearly tanking (to steal an NBA term) and= had a terrible roster, they still played pretty hard and played from the games that I have seen. And he taught the young players on the team how to play the right way, he deserves credit for the way the Astros are playing now in my opinion. When he was looking for a manager GM Jeff Luhnow wanted a guy that was akin to Joe Maddon, and those guidelines lead him to Porter, who also is not afraid to bring sabremetrics into the dugout. Lunhow said, “Bo understands and appreciates the effect technology and the analytical side has had on the game... He wants to not only accept it, but take it and let it impact the organization. I think he will help us continue to apply some of the things we’ve been working on.” Reports about Porter being too intense and his displeasure with his overall involvement in the org's decisions came out around the time of his firing. I think that Porter would bring some forward thinking to the dugout and an intense mentality to the team, while bringing his track record in player development with him.

Brandon Hyde is a former White Sox farmhand. He managed in the Marlins farm system from 2005 to 2009. He became the Marlin's bench coach in 2010 and served as their interim manager in 2011. In 2012 Theo brought him over to the Cubs, where he was the farm director and the Director of Player Development, he served as Rick Renteria's bench coach and he is currently the Cub's first base coach under Joe Maddon. Rant Sports had this to say about Hyde, "Hyde is known as a great strategist and a true student of the game. In fact, one exec even went so far as to tell me, 'He can flat manage a game. If it had to go down to it, I would want him managing my Game 7.' Hyde is also known for maintaining great relationships with his players, and he has a successful background in developing young players, which could make him attractive to a team in rebuilding mode." Mentor Jack Mckeon had this to say about Hyde, "When I took the (manager's) job to finish (2011), I thought he'd have a chance to replace me... He was very-well prepared, very aggressive. He wasn't afraid to jump on somebody if they needed to be jumped on, which a lot of coaches don't want to do. But he was on top of the game. He was always keeping me sharp on what you want to do, in situations he was always ready for advice. He was ahead of the game." That's some pretty high praise. THis is someone who has worked their way up the ladder and despite being 41 years old, he has extensive experience in the dugout alongside of the modern greats and he comes from a player development background.

These are just the first two guys that popped into my head.

Who do you want the team to hire as their next manager? What kind of qualities do you want to next manager to have?

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 03:01 PM)
I have been a pretty big Robin supporter over the course of his tenure but after the past 10 games I have had enough, I think that White Sox should part ways with Robin Ventura. Getting rid of Robin won't solve all the problems that plague the team but it would be a step in the right direction. I really want Rick Hahn to hire his own manager and with that manager establish a culture of winning, where they teach and approach the game the same way throughout the entire organization (DSL to MLB).

Let me start off by mentioning two names: Bo Porter and Brandon Hyde.

Porter was the manager of the Astros from 2013 to 2014, I think that despite the fact that the Astros were clearly tanking (to steal an NBA term) and= had a terrible roster, they still played pretty hard and played from the games that I have seen. And he taught the young players on the team how to play the right way, he deserves credit for the way the Astros are playing now in my opinion. When he was looking for a manager GM Jeff Luhnow wanted a guy that was akin to Joe Maddon, and those guidelines lead him to Porter, who also is not afraid to bring sabremetrics into the dugout. Lunhow said, “Bo understands and appreciates the effect technology and the analytical side has had on the game... He wants to not only accept it, but take it and let it impact the organization. I think he will help us continue to apply some of the things we’ve been working on.” Reports about Porter being too intense and his displeasure with his overall involvement in the org's decisions came out around the time of his firing. I think that Porter would bring some forward thinking to the dugout and an intense mentality to the team, while bringing his track record in player development with him.

Brandon Hyde is a former White Sox farmhand. He managed in the Marlins farm system from 2005 to 2009. He became the Marlin's bench coach in 2010 and served as their interim manager in 2011. In 2012 Theo brought him over to the Cubs, where he was the farm director and the Director of Player Development, he served as Rick Renteria's bench coach and he is currently the Cub's first base coach under Joe Maddon. Rant Sports had this to say about Hyde, "Hyde is known as a great strategist and a true student of the game. In fact, one exec even went so far as to tell me, 'He can flat manage a game. If it had to go down to it, I would want him managing my Game 7.' Hyde is also known for maintaining great relationships with his players, and he has a successful background in developing young players, which could make him attractive to a team in rebuilding mode." Mentor Jack Mckeon had this to say about Hyde, "When I took the (manager's) job to finish (2011), I thought he'd have a chance to replace me... He was very-well prepared, very aggressive. He wasn't afraid to jump on somebody if they needed to be jumped on, which a lot of coaches don't want to do. But he was on top of the game. He was always keeping me sharp on what you want to do, in situations he was always ready for advice. He was ahead of the game." That's some pretty high praise. THis is someone who has worked their way up the ladder and despite being 41 years old, he has extensive experience in the dugout alongside of the modern greats and he comes from a player development background.

These are just the first two guys that popped into my head.

Who do you want the team to hire as their next manager? What kind of qualities do you want to next manager to have?

So today is the day to finally start talking about this?

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 03:07 PM)
Ken Macha, Ron Washington, Bud Black, Ron Roenicke, Dave Martinez or the bench coach of a team that's been successful lately like the Pirates, or the A's.

I thought Macha was against Advanced Stats. Maybe not.

Ron Washington wouldn't be bad, but his life was in spirals when he left Texas. Not a fan of Bud Black or Ron Roenicke. I wanted Dave Martinez last time around, so I'd give him an interview.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 08:00 PM)
I thought Macha was against Advanced Stats. Maybe not.

Ron Washington wouldn't be bad, but his life was in spirals when he left Texas. Not a fan of Bud Black or Ron Roenicke. I wanted Dave Martinez last time around, so I'd give him an interview.

If he dosen't get a managing job, it would be a huge boost to the org to have Bud Black join the org, in a player development capacity. Him and Coop in the same org, but I would be shocked if he isn't managing.

No need to change now. Make a reasoned decision at the end of the season.

The media likes Black, but I don't know...he seems to have managed a similarly underachieving team, although the front office may be at fault.

It also seems to me that if Ventura goes, Cooper has to go.

Edited by GreenSox

I'd be looking over at Bob Melvin as a possible candidate, depending on how the A's finish the season in the standings.

I think Bud Black deserves another opportunity somewhere, not sure that will be with us though.

I think everyone is on the same page though that ideally it should be someone with experience and good with Sabermetrics.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 07:21 AM)
Doesn't matter what we want. It's probably going to be Thome or Konerko. Team needs a new owner.

KW wanted Konerko to be a player manager before he hired Ventura. What is this the early 1900's? Seriously... KW better not be involved with the next manager hire.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 07:21 AM)
Doesn't matter what we want. It's probably going to be Thome or Konerko. Team needs a new owner.

Very much so! Can't say it enough!

The Reinsdorf way of doing things has proven to be more disastrous than not during his 35 year reign of terror. The sooner this franchise receives a new and fresh vision and strategy from the top, the better the team's chances of improving it's overall results, which have not been very good under Reinsdorf. Just five trips to the postseason during these past 35 years? Absolutely and undeniably pathetic!

i remember talking about Bo Porter, and i like him a lot. i am intrigue with Hyde, but in some of his profile, reminds me of a little of RV.

i also like Mike Maddux, he skilled, was successful pitcher, a in your face manager. plus he is still in the major league level coaching.

on the outside, for me Dave Martinez and Joey Cora.

my list

1) Maddux

2) Porter

3) Martinez

4) Hyde.

now this list is based on my opinion and by default subjective.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
My list:

Sandy Alomar Jr

Dave Martinez

Don Wakamatsu

Tony Pena

Ryne Sandberg

an interesting name there. i never thought of him. yeah i would add him to the list.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 3, 2015 -> 08:44 AM)
i remember talking about Bo Porter, and i like him a lot. i am intrigue with Hyde, but in some of his profile, reminds me of a little of RV.

i also like Mike Maddux, he skilled, was successful pitcher, a in your face manager. plus he is still in the major league level coaching.

on the outside, for me Dave Martinez and Joey Cora.

my list

1) Maddux

2) Porter

3) Martinez

4) Hyde.

now this list is based on my opinion and by default subjective.

What about Hyde reminds you of Robin? I don't see the comparison