Cole Hamels to Rangers

southsider2k5

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 for 2

Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports that the Phillies will acquire Matt Harrison, Alec Asher, Jerad Eickhoff, Jake Thompson, Jorge Alfaro and Nick Williams in exchange for Cole Hamels and Jake Diekman.

Alfaro, Williams and Thompson are the three best prospects in the deal, and represent a nice return package for the Phillies. The Rangers get another ace to pair with Yu Darvish for the next few seasons as they strive to return to glory in the American League West.

Source: Evan Grant on Twitter

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:39 AM)
Doesn't look like that good of a deal for the Phillies, who also apparently sent $9.5 million in cash with Hamels. Guessing the Astros put together a better package but were stymied by the no trade clause.

3 of the guys are top 100 prospects:

Jake Thompson - 60

Nick Williams - 64

Jorge Alfaro - 69

The other two are in the 20's in the Rangers system.

And Matt Harrison used to be a top of the rotation pitcher, and may return to that, and can be slotted into the rotation right away. I think it's a pretty damn good return.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)

Jake Thompson - 60

Nick Williams - 64

Jorge Alfaro - 69

And Matt Harrison used to be a top of the rotation pitcher, and may return to that, and can be slotted into the rotation right away. I think it's a pretty damn good return.

i agree, and they can flip anyone of those for additional assets.

it just keeping getting better.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:58 AM)

Jake Thompson - 60

Nick Williams - 64

Jorge Alfaro - 69

Yeah, guess you're right. Just thought the deal was missing that stellar prospect. None in top 50.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:40 AM)
This trade market has really made it seem like people dont value their prospects anymore. I thought the last few years GM's were holding onto them like gold. Now they are emptying out their systems for rentals and vets

It seems like any prospect who is good enough to play in MLB gets called up immediately. It's the other guys who still need seasoning that are getting traded.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 07:40 AM)
This trade market has really made it seem like people dont value their prospects anymore. I thought the last few years GM's were holding onto them like gold. Now they are emptying out their systems for rentals and vets

That's why I'd like to see us go for Puig. Nice young impact bat. He's struggled this year no doubt but it would be a monster trade and good add.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:07 AM)
That's why I'd like to see us go for Puig. Nice young impact bat. He's struggled this year no doubt but it would be a monster trade and good add.

If Quintana isn't involved, sure.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 03:07 PM)

the way i see it, the major component for trading prospect for players now is the prize of winning now. who knows what the future will hold. second is the money money now, the money generated from a winning team provides and lastly the personal factor of winning.

what ever happens in the future, it can be dealt with.

the only weak point is, the team needs to have the main core already in place and is only missing a couple of pieces.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)
the upside is much better, if that is all it is cost.

If that is all it costs? C'mon now. You're not giving enough credit to one of the best 15 SP in the game, and way too much credit to a meathead clown with presently terrible numbers, who will be a FA two years before Quintana who would likely be one of the best 5 SP in the NL at a cheap cost.

All that said, I don't think LA needs more SP at this point, so the Q for Puig trade makes less sense than ever.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 03:40 PM)
If that is all it costs? C'mon now. You're not giving enough credit to one of the best 15 SP in the game, and way too much credit to a meathead clown with presently terrible numbers, who will be a FA two years before Quintana who would likely be one of the best 5 SP in the NL at a cheap cost.

All that said, I don't think LA needs more SP at this point, so the Q for Puig trade makes less sense than ever.

you made your point. i agree.

now in one of my other posts is, i wanted the dodgers to add another prospects.

so in essence, i am in agreement with you...

however, the sox fo may think differently, which we as fans do not privy to.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 08:58 AM)

Jake Thompson - 60

Nick Williams - 64

Jorge Alfaro - 69

I agree.

And the other 2 are pretty interesting prospects in their own right.

Some of these teams (esp Astros) have really deep farm systems.

I like our top 11, but those guys are 25-30 deep.

Edited by GreenSox