Sox Looking at Upton

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
my prediction, SD ends up with the worst hauls because people know what stupid shape they are in.

Or they end up with a majority of the pieces they have been rumored to be moving because they are asking too much. Should be a pretty interesting deadline. To see what we do of course, but also what LA, the Cubs, and SD do.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:35 AM)
Or they end up with a majority of the pieces they have been rumored to be moving because they are asking too much. Should be a pretty interesting deadline. To see what we do of course, but also what LA, the Cubs, and SD do.

Well, depends with this hilarious "shed payroll" report

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
There is some speculation within the industry about a possible BOS/Cubs/Padres three-way blockbuster taking shape. Lots of pieces that fit

Onley

Probably Kimbrel to Boston, Ross to Cubs, prospects to San Diego?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)
I do, very much. I acknowledge that there is a chance Avisail Garcia turns into a good player. But I also acknowledge that there is a chance every player in the MLB turns into a good player.

It might happen, but it very much probably will not happen.

If he could play defense, I'd be more patient with Avi cause I do see potential for offensive upside. I just never see him being a capable defender and thus he'd have to really really hit and the odds of that are pretty minimal.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
If he could play defense, I'd be more patient with Avi cause I do see potential for offensive upside. I just never see him being a capable defender and thus he'd have to really really hit and the odds of that are pretty minimal.

He has the physical tools to be an acceptable outfield defender, so I want to say he can improve. But he really seems to lack the instincts out there and if he's this bad now, I don't know why he didn't get better in his long minor league career spent solely in the outfield.

I don't think the odds of him hitting well are minimal, but we might be having a vocabulary difference as to what "really hitting" is. If his defense can't improve, might be reasonable to say that he has the upside of 2.0 WAR player, which is nice to have but obviously not something you'll mortgage the franchise to develop

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)
He has the physical tools to be an acceptable outfield defender, so I want to say he can improve. But he really seems to lack the instincts out there and if he's this bad now, I don't know why he didn't get better in his long minor league career spent solely in the outfield.

I don't think the odds of him hitting well are minimal, but we might be having a vocabulary difference as to what "really hitting" is. If his defense can't improve, might be reasonable to say that he has the upside of 2.0 WAR player, which is nice to have but obviously not something you'll mortgage the franchise to develop

If his defense can't improve, he'd have to be a hell of a hitter to be a 2.0 WAR player. His defense is that bad and I don't really see him improving. He gets horrible reads and is just a lousy fielder. And it is magnified more when you have a team built around pitching.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 11:28 AM)

He's been getting professional instruction for so many years now. I just can't believe he can improve much.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 12:30 PM)
If his defense can't improve, he'd have to be a hell of a hitter to be a 2.0 WAR player. His defense is that bad and I don't really see him improving. He gets horrible reads and is just a lousy fielder. And it is magnified more when you have a team built around pitching.

Just for a statistical comparison since I can't calculate hypothetical WAR values in my head, Brandon Moss of last year had a net defensive rating of -11.1 runs below average from his time in the OF, DH, and 1B, which is similar to where Avi projects to be (and he'd have a better defensive rating if he moved to LF in all likelihood). Moss had a 121 wRC+, which I don't think is out of reach for a version of Avisail that is panning out--though he would get to a 121 wRC+ in a different way than Moss, who always carries a low average and high walk rate. Moss had a 2.1 WAR and that's with positional adjustments for 1B and DH included. I don't think it's out of reach, especially when we're talking about a player's upside.

Shockingly, Padres one of just five teams that haven't made a trade with deadline in 3 1/2 hours. Others: Cubs, White Sox, Twins, D'backs. Passan

Seems to me these teAms may be waiting on the Padres to see wtf they are going to do. It's like they have the deadline held hostage.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
#WhiteSox listening to "everything," source says. Have not completely ruled out Jeff Samardzija trade -- and open to adding, too.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/627164066063085568

Tommy Cueto ‏@TJFsports 11m11 minutes ago

But currently super into this one indie band you probably haven’t heard of RT @jonmorosi: #WhiteSox listening to “everything,” source says.

:lolhitting