Sox Looking at Upton

Jose Abreu

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:20 AM)
It just can't be.

I truly think it will be, it seem as the price tags have gone up. I'm all for moving prospects for a bat as long as they aren't named Montas, Anderson, or Johnson. But like the majority of us do not want to give up big name prospects for a rental. I think we did our due diligence and are in a take it or leave it with teams, so I guess maybe something happens as teams become more desperate to unload.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 05:44 AM)
Honestly, as long as they don't trade Anderson, Trey, or Fulmer I'm OK with whatever else they wanna trade. Sox have had a good deal of success with pitchers so I would be OK with trading Montas, Adams, Danish, and EJ.

Anderson and Trey are the only hitters who I think could make an impact in this system. Micah as well but with the way the Sanchize has been playing I think it makes Micah expendable.

You'd be OK with trading Montas, Adams or EJ for two months of Upton? That'd be awful, especially EJ.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:28 AM)
You'd be OK with trading Montas, Adams or EJ for two months of Upton? That'd be awful, especially EJ.

Montas and Adams would be tough but EJ sure. Plus I think if we get Upton we are getting something else back. Whether it's Kennedy or Middlebrooks. But we will have to part with a prospect or two that we like its just part of the game.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:31 AM)
Montas and Adams would be tough but EJ sure. Plus I think if we get Upton we are getting something else back. Whether it's Kennedy or Middlebrooks. But we will have to part with a prospect or two that we like its just part of the game.

Why would you trade EJ for a rental? We need him for our rotation for the next several years. That makes zero sense. That would be a really terrible move, even if we were 10 games over .500.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
Sherman

Keep hearing #Padres having difficulty moving Shields/Kemp/JUpton and ownership wants cut payroll. That could open even more Kimbrel (cont)

Engel for Upton. Deal. SD is getting desperate lol.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)
Why would you trade EJ for a rental? We need him for our rotation for the next several years. That makes zero sense. That would be a really terrible move, even if we were 10 games over .500.

I disagree I think EJ is disposable. He's a 4-5 pitchers in a rotation that will include Sale, q, Rodon, possibly Fulmer. 4-5 starters can be found anywhere. Trading EJ is like trading Clayton Richard

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)

And what makes zero sense is you guys think we can acquire Upton or and impact bat without giving up talent. You're crazy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:28 AM)
I have ripped KW as much as anybody, but one thing he has totally excelled at is trading prospects. With very few exception, most he trades wind up as guys who wouldn't help.

To be fair, it's not like he has had many prospects that have helped the White Sox either.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:40 AM)
I disagree I think EJ is disposable. He's a 4-5 pitchers in a rotation that will include Sale, q, Rodon, possibly Fulmer. 4-5 starters can be found anywhere. Trading EJ is like trading Clayton Richard

EJ has the potential to be a pretty good #3 pitcher. We traded Richard for several seasons of Jake Peavy. The scenarios are not even close to being the same, and EJ is better than Richard. Upton is a 2-month rental and he's hit like complete s*** the last two months (under .600 OPS). EJ would be a massive overpay.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)
EJ has the potential to be a pretty good #3 pitcher. We traded Richard for several seasons of Jake Peavy. The scenarios are not even close to being the same, and EJ is better than Richard. Upton is a 2-month rental and he's hit like complete s*** the last two months (under .600 OPS). EJ would be a massive overpay.

EJ sucks

Currently, the Sox have five teams ahead of them for the last WC spot and are tied with Detroit who is selling. The Sox have no business trading for a rental.

I have no problem trading quality prospects but the return should be a player(s) that can help the Sox beyond this season.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)

And I was comparing the two pitchers not the players they were traded for, you did. All I said is trading EJ is like trading Richard which didn't hurt us. Neither will trading Eric Johnson who have this board would have given away for a piece of Bubble Yum last season. So let's not get crazy over Eric Johnson and his okay triple a numbers. The guy has and will be a fringe prospects an AAAA pitcher.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:47 AM)
EJ sucks

Shows how much you've followed him over the last year. He was a top 100 prospect a year ago after a very good 2013, but got knocked around a bit last year due to a loss in velocity for unknown reasons. His velocity has returned this year and he's dominated with good strikeout numbers and he's given up 1 earned run in his last 47 innings. Clearly that's worth trading for two months of an overrated Upton.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:53 AM)
Shows how much you've followed him over the last year. He was a top 100 prospect a year ago after a very good 2013, but got knocked around a bit last year due to a loss in velocity for unknown reasons. His velocity has returned this year and he's dominated with good strikeout numbers and he's given up 1 earned run in his last 47 innings. Clearly that's worth trading for two months of an overrated Upton.

Sorry forgot to tune in to his triple a starts to watch him tear up minor leaguers.