Sox Looking at Upton

Jose Abreu

Getting Ross is going to cost us a significant amount of prospects, especially in combination with Upton.

Maybe if Price had gone to another team than the Blue Jays, but Toronto has a lot of advantages now in fighting for that spot that simply aren't worth making a desperation (see KW) bid to outdo them from a PR perspective.

If they're going to do anything, it's jettison Shields and Upton.

Does anyone want that contract, which would certainly preclude any talk of Shark or another big name pitcher in the offseason?

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 06:51 PM)
I got a feeling we're going to end up with Upton. Just a hunch.

I unfortunately think we will make a big move, but I am not excited about giving up two of our top 15 prospects for a rental. Especially when the Sox are essentially saying this 7-game stretch is more indicative of the real 2015 White Sox than the prior 92-game stretch.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 11:57 PM)
I unfortunately think we will make a big move, but I am not excited about giving up two of our top 15 prospects for a rental. Especially when the Sox are essentially saying this 7-game stretch is more indicative of the real 2015 White Sox than the prior 92-game stretch.

Especially with what Toronto's done in the last 72 hours

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 06:57 PM)

Depends on the two prospects.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 06:57 PM)

I know what you mean man. I could easily see us losing a lot the next 6 series. If we play over .500 during that time, I think we will be legit contenders. Unfortunately, that's too late to sell.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 07:00 PM)
I am assuming for any major acquisition, we will lose at least one of Montas/Anderson/Johnson & Johnson/Adams.

I wouldn't want to give up any of those for Upton though, he has an OPS under .600 since June 1st. I really don't think he will add much.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 07:00 PM)
All of the wild card teams are upgrading. We're in this. Let's make a bold move for a bat.

Bold moves are why our farm system was in shambles and we are in the spot we have been in the last few years. Sustainable teams have a deep farm system that they use to restock major league talent and use for trade chits. If we dont get into the playoffs with this gamble then you burned it for nothing. This bold move nonsense is foolish. I would rather keep our talent and use it when we are truly in a spot to compete.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 07:25 PM)
Bold moves are why our farm system was in shambles and we are in the spot we have been in the last few years. Sustainable teams have a deep farm system that they use to restock major league talent and use for trade chits. If we dont get into the playoffs with this gamble then you burned it for nothing. This bold move nonsense is foolish. I would rather keep our talent and use it when we are truly in a spot to compete.

Our farm system just flat out sucked minus Gio. Look at the guys we've moved and tell me who irks you that we've moved.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 07:31 PM)
Our farm system just flat out sucked minus Gio. Look at the guys we've moved and tell me who irks you that we've moved.

You know that Miguel Cabrera fella. When he was put on the block we didn't have the bullets to get him here. Trust me Kenny tried. He just didnt have the horses to do it. Because he keeps going for it. So keep dumping players every year and you have nothing to go over the top when you need to.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 07:33 PM)
You know that Miguel Cabrera fella. When he was put on the block we didn't have the bullets to get him here. Trust me Kenny tried. He just didnt have the horses to do it. Because he keeps going for it. So keep dumping players every year and you have nothing to go over the top when you need to.

What I remember is the Marlins insisted that Dontrelle Willis and his fat contract was gonna go with Miggy. Sox wouldn't do that, Detroit did, and the rest is history.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 07:33 PM)

Agsin who are these prospects that were sent alomg that were missed?

Rather ironic you say his trading prospects left the farm in shambles, then complain he didn't have prospects to trade for someone right after he won a World Series.

Edited by Dick Allen

There are two legitimate criticisms you can use to explain why we have a non-elite (but non-horrible) farm system.

First is that we have drafted badly, which at least until around the Sale draft is hard to argue with. You can lump in international scouting as well. Wilder looms large even after all this time.

Second is not that we have traded out of our farm, but that we haven't done enough trading into it. You could argue that years we have gone for it we should have instead moved our big league assets to reload our minor leagues.

Somewhere between those two is the publicized fact that until the draft slot system was in place, Reinsdorf more or less despised the idea of investing money in draft picks. I suspect the Joe Borchard signing had a significant and lasting effect as he thought about the nice big leaguers he could have gotten for that money instead.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 07:41 PM)
There are two legitimate criticisms you can use to explain why we have a non-elite (but non-horrible) farm system.

First is that we have drafted badly, which at least until around the Sale draft is hard to argue with. You can lump in international scouting as well. Wilder looms large even after all this time.

Second is not that we have traded out of our farm, but that we haven't done enough trading into it. You could argue that years we have gone for it we should have instead moved our big league assets to reload our minor leagues.

Somewhere between those two is the publicized fact that until the draft slot system was in place, Reinsdorf more or less despised the idea of investing money in draft picks. I suspect the Joe Borchard signing had a significant and lasting effect as he thought about the nice big leaguers he could have gotten for that money instead.

Part of the reason for a farm system is to be used for trade. The White Sox got a lot more value for the players they drafted than the players they drafted actually provided.

They didn't draft well, up until Dunn, they hadn't spend more than $20 million on another team's free agent since Albert Belle, yet they had some good teams. They weren't really in a mode to trade their players for prospects, but recently things have become better with Jaye and Webb, and Montas