Sox Looking at Upton

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 03:04 PM)
I can't tell you how many threads have been started, cleaned up, combined, and deleted in the last few days because of no catch alls. I am guessing you aren't seeing half of them then.

That is what we are supposed to do though. Just like titles of threads get updated to reflect changes in news status (e.g., trade from rumor to fact).

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:05 PM)
That is what we are supposed to do though. Just like titles of threads get updated to reflect changes in news status (e.g., trade from rumor to fact).

And that is what is being done. The problem is that it keeps generating more and more new ones to try to keep up instead of it all being together.

I have basically always avoided catch-alls. In a time like this, you're irrevocably behind if you're gone for a couple of hours. I hate trying to poke around a mass of pages trying to figure out what post everyone is reacting to while also trying to figure out what subject each poster is talking about.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:54 PM)
If it's just a trade for Upton, yes. Depending on what he costs maybe not. But if it's for Upton and Ross then atleast you have Ross after this year and Upton for the run.

I really hope the Sox are not after Upton. He's a FA to be and K's too fricken much.

Ross makes alot of sense though. GB pitcher that can strike batters out. Walks alot of batters but I can live with that. Ross would give the Sox an immediate replacement for Samardzija's rotation spot in 2016.

From a Sox perspective, Will Myers would make more sense than Upton.

If the Sox trade with SD I hope it's for Myers/Ross.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 03:11 PM)
I really hope the Sox are not after Upton. He's a FA to be and K's too fricken much.

Ross makes alot of sense though. GB pitcher that can strike batters out. Walks alot of batters but I can live with that. Ross would give the Sox an immediate replacement for Samardzija's rotation spot in 2016.

From a Sox perspective, Will Myers would make more sense than Upton.

If the Sox trade with SD I hope it's for Myers/Ross.

He's in general a better player then Cespedes (and a better defensive outfielder), however, Cespedes is having the better year. I just don't see us trading within the division.

You could just have the best of both worlds:

A catch all thread, but with it in the original post of that thread just keep updating it with all the news rumors. If anyone wanted to be caught up on the latest relevant news, they could just go to the 1st page. And then catch up on reading the discussion in the pages.

Easy fix

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:13 PM)
He's in general a better player then Cespedes (and a better defensive outfielder), however, Cespedes is having the better year. I just don't see us trading within the division.

I don't see Cespedes happening either.

I was just thinking and trying to understand the Upton interest. Obviously the Sox are in need of another bat but what I'm thinking is that the main target is not Upton, but Ross. I'm sure the Sox would prefer a bat that is not a rental but if taking on a rental to get one of the best GB pitchers in the league is what it takes, it might not be so bad depending on the cost.

I will say that Upton plays much better defense than Avi and hits for more power so there are two big benefits.

I'm curious about what a package would look like. Avi, Erik Johnson, Micah Johnson + ?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:26 PM)

I was just thinking and trying to understand the Upton interest. Obviously the Sox are in need of another bat but what I'm thinking is that the main target is not Upton, but Ross. I'm sure the Sox would prefer a bat that is not a rental but if taking on a rental to get one of the best GB pitchers in the league is what it takes, it might not be so bad depending on the cost.

I will say that Upton plays much better defense than Avi and hits for more power so there are two big benefits.

I'm curious about what a package would look like. Avi, Erik Johnson, Micah Johnson + ?

Ya could be adding both because Morosi said this morning we were looking at SPs.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 03:26 PM)

That is just too steep of a package to give up for a rental. I'm giving up that sort of package for Gomez or Reddick or someone else. I don't know that the other teams do it, but that is what I'm trying to get.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:27 PM)
Ya could be adding both because Morosi said this morning we were looking at SPs.

Oh man, with all the rumors swirling around my head I forgot what Morosi had said this morning, lol. That would make sense.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:26 PM)

For 2 months of a .763 OPS that's a fair exchange?

He's not a superstar....not even close. He's a good hitter...that's all.

Maybe 1 of those guys, if that.

Adam Eaton has a .751 OPS....he's under control until 2021. What could we get for him? 10 x that price?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:28 PM)
That is just too steep of a package to give up for a rental. I'm giving up that sort of package for Gomez or Reddick or someone else. I don't know that the other teams do it, but that is what I'm trying to get.

That package would be for both Ross and Upton. Could still be too much but I'm just a fan with an opinion. ;)

Reddick is my #1 target for a hitter but I like the idea of getting Tyson Ross as well. Problem ks, getting those two would clean the farm pretty good.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:29 PM)
Oh man, with all the rumors swirling around my head I forgot what Morosi had said this morning, lol. That would make sense.

When did he say that? I went to his Twitter and found nothing.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 04:44 PM)
I really don't like the idea of going for a rental. We are still on the outside looking in and are working towards a longer term plan. This winning is nice, but I'd rather give up an extra prospect for Carlos Gomez or someone else who will be around vs. giving up prospects who won't even be around next year to help us (especially positional prospects).

What longer term plan? Trading four players for one year of Jeff Samardzija in the offseason doesn't exactly scream long term plan.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:33 PM)
That package would be for both Ross and Upton. Could still be too much but I'm just a fan with an opinion. ;)

Reddick is my #1 target for a hitter but I like the idea of getting Tyson Ross as well. Problem ks, getting those two would clean the farm pretty good.

Reddick is purely a platoon hitter. Hits lefties worse than Laroche. For the price of a platoon, fine.

Tyson Ross would be a good pitcher here.....but that seems more of a December trade, unless you are going to move Shark as part of the deal.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:35 PM)
Someone mentioned earlier I think in the buyers thread.

He was on MLbN this am talking about the sox and said he thought they were looking for SP specifically mentioned Ian Kenedy from SD and Mike Leake from Cincy. I posted about it as I heard it this am.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:28 PM)

This is where I'm at, I would give up a lottery ticket prospect or two like Hawkins for a rental but anything that I see helping the team in the next year or two is staying unless traded for a multi-year impact bat.

I'm not even that high on Anderson, would love to trade him for a cost controlled young hitter.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:40 PM)
So it looks like we got a couple rumors today but that may be all. I was hoping for a trade. Might have to wait until tomorrow, or possibly August (waivers).

It's way early to call it a day. Like AA said about price it wasn't till 6pm last night till he received a call from DET that said Price was available. They didn't talk again till 1130 and didn't strike a deal till 3am last night. Hell we could have already made a deal and no one knows, or we could do one during the game or late tonight.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:36 PM)
Reddick is purely a platoon hitter. Hits lefties worse than Laroche. For the price of a platoon, fine.

Tyson Ross would be a good pitcher here.....but that seems more of a December trade, unless you are going to move Shark as part of the deal.

Actually, Reddick is a tick better against lefties but I get your point. Nevertheless, I'd still take Reddick's bat and glove.

Tyson Ross would push Danks out of the rotation for the rest of the year. Sale, Q, Samardzija, Rodon and Ross gives the Sox a hell of a starting rotation for a playoff push. Ross also makes it easier for the Sox to walk away from Samardzija when Samardzija hits FA. It would be a very smart move by the Sox to do it now.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 11:45 PM)
Actually, Reddick is a tick better against lefties but I get your point. Nevertheless, I'd still take Reddick's bat and glove.

Tyson Ross would push Danks out of the rotation for the rest of the year. Sale, Q, Samardzija, Rodon and Ross gives the Sox a hell of a starting rotation for a playoff push. Ross also makes it easier for the Sox to walk away from Samardzija when Samardzija hits FA. It would be a very smart move by the Sox to do it now.

i agree and think it is very doable. i wonder what the pkg will look like to get them.