Sox Looking at Upton

Jose Abreu

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)
Sorry forgot to tune in to his triple a starts to watch him tear up minor leaguers.

So his utter dominance down there means nothing? Really? Guys who completely tear up AAA stick at the MLB level more often than not. Even if you don't believe in EJ, his turnaround has increased his value quite a bit. If we wanted to trade him, we could do a lot better than an Upton rental.

The thing is, if they do trade Johnson, they're going to go out and get another pitcher unless they want to push Fulmer and Montas into the rotation in April of 2016.

It would be pretty incredible...so Erik does have a lot more value to us than he does to other teams.

As for pitching in SD, we've had guys like Richard and Eric Stults (let get away for nothing) pitch pretty well there. Pitching hasn't been one of the biggest issues for the Padres, it's offense and it will be bullpen if they trade away Kimbrel.

That's probably why they would target Montas, to make him a closer.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:02 AM)
The thing is, if they do trade Johnson, they're going to go out and get another pitcher unless they want to push Fulmer and Montas into the rotation in April of 2016.

It would be pretty incredible...so Erik does have a lot more value to us than he does to other teams.

As for pitching in SD, we've had guys like Richard and Eric Stults (let get away for nothing) pitch pretty well there. Pitching hasn't been one of the biggest issues for the Padres, it's offense and it will be bullpen if they trade away Kimbrel.

That's probably why they would target Montas, to make him a closer.

If it's safe to assume that the rotation next year will include:

- Sale

- Quintana

- Rodon

- Danks

They are obviously hoping to get Samrdizia back...I can understand why the White Sox think they can move Johnson (although losing Samardzia, a #2 type starter would hurt the quality of the rotation) given they have in-house candidates to replace Danks after next season (or even during) while the rest of the rotation is young.

Sox have a done fabulous job of developing pitching.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:01 AM)
So his utter dominance down there means nothing? Really? Guys who completely tear up AAA stick at the MLB level more often than not. Even if you don't believe in EJ, his turnaround has increased his value quite a bit. If we wanted to trade him, we could do a lot better than an Upton rental.

The problem is that he's yet to prove anything at the big league level this year, and he had an unexplainable breakdown last year that still hasn't been diagnosed to anyone's satisfaction.

The Cubs are in a similar situation looking to deal Baez but teams not valuing him the same way they did in say May, 2014. If this was the 2013-14 offseason or mid-season 2013, then it would be a different situation, but some of the bloom's off the rose. Then again, that kind of streak of excellence is going to raise some eyebrows when half your games are played in Charlotte.

I would be pretty shocked if the Padres would accept him as the centerpiece of a possible trade.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:01 AM)

I'd like to see some statistical proof of that. I feel this is more of a AAAA phenomenon.

I'd be fine with Erik Johnson, Avasail Garcia, Matt Davidson, and Hector Noesi for Upton. None of those guys is going to do much in the majors on the Sox.

I just don't think that it's going to get done without Anderson or Montas involved, which I'm against.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:07 AM)
I'd be fine with Erik Johnson, Avasail Garcia, Matt Davidson, and Hector Noesi for Upton. None of those guys is going to do much in the majors on the Sox.

I just don't think that it's going to get done without Anderson or Montas involved, which I'm against.

I agree I don't want to give up Montas or Anderson. Or Avi but im good witth Davidson and or EJ

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:06 AM)
If it's safe to assume that the rotation next year will include:

- Sale

- Quintana

- Rodon

- Danks

They are obviously hoping to get Samrdizia back...I can understand why the White Sox think they can move Johnson (although losing Samardzia, a #2 type starter would hurt the quality of the rotation) given they have in-house candidates to replace Danks after next season (or even during) while the rest of the rotation is young.

Sox have a done fabulous job of developing pitching.

But that depth disappears in a hurry if you're forced to deal Quintana as a result of not possessing the financial resources (or projected season ticket purchasers) to go out and make enough meaningful additions via trade or FA this off-season.

This seems promising:

Lots of corner outfielders still to be moved, but not a lot of buyers (NYM, CWS, BAL, maybe 1 or 2 others). Like a game of musical chairs.

Onley

Always positive for consumers when the supply outweighs the demand. Especially in cases where teams are trying to rid themselves of payroll and pending free agents. Desperation starts to set in as we grow hours closer to the deadline.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:08 AM)
I agree I don't want to give up Montas or Anderson. Or Avi but im good witth Davidson and or EJ

EJ isn't a player you really want to give up. He's MLB ready and has proven that he can be a SP. Montas still probably has a >50% chance of ending up a reliever.

QUOTE (staxx @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:14 AM)
EJ isn't a player you really want to give up. He's MLB ready and has proven that he can be a SP. Montas still probably has a >50% chance of ending up a reliever.

Johnson feels like fool's gold to me. He looks great in AAA but is a risk to crash and burn and lose his confidence in the majors again.

At least with Montas you have a potential setup/closer.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:16 AM)
Johnson feels like fool's gold to me. He looks great in AAA but is a risk to crash and burn and lose his confidence in the majors again.

At least with Montas you have a potential setup/closer.

I don't believe last year was in his head.

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 45s46 seconds ago

#Padres and #Astros have talked trade, but SD wants a young SS and Houston doesn't have one to deal. (Don't say Carlos Correa).

So basically I assume the Padres are insisting on Anderson and we're countering with Cleuluis Rondon. And so we won't be getting Upton.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:13 AM)
The Twins also need to do something...anything.

A reliever, bat (they're willing to part with Arcia for a rental), another starter. Ryan hasn't made a huge trade in seemingly a decade.

They're pursuing Upton as well.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:34 AM)
So basically I assume the Padres are insisting on Anderson and we're countering with Cleuluis Rondon. And so we won't be getting Upton.

Anderson for two months of Upton would be such a bad trade for us. If that's really what they're asking for, they can go to hell.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:41 AM)
So they aren't trading Anderson, you know they love Micah,so it would take a whole lot to get him, and Montas surely won't move for a rental.

The Sox are going to be hanging on to their top guys. No need to get riled up over nothing.

Exactly. Get riled up if a deal is done and you're pissed at the package.