The Disappointment Thread

bmags

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 06:46 PM)
I missed when Daniel Norris was on the table for Shark. There's a slight difference between Shark and David Price.

You never know. Maybe he could have been straight up as opposed to Norris and the other 2 that Price netted. I'm fully confident the offer the Sox had from the Giants was the guy the Reds got for Leake.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I was disappointed that there weren't any deals made it is completely understandable given the way things shook out.

JR is very sensitive about selling off the White Flag deals get brought up to this day and are almost mythic in nature and the organization has been gun shy about selling ever since getting raked over the coals for that.

The return on Shark wasn't going to be enough. Looking at the market, Cueto brought about what you would have wanted to get for Shark and that wasn't going to happen. The draft pick will be worth more to the Sox than the pieces they could have picked up at the deadline for Shark, especially considering next years draft is said to be pretty deep.

The cost of rental impact bats was too high, while the pitching market didn't develop as expected, a deal for Cespedes would have been too costly, likely something like Spencer Adams, to justify making the move for this season. If the Sox fail to make the playoffs after making that move you damage your future and help a division rival. The Sox didn't have the ammo to shoot for Tulo and other than that there wasn't an impact bat out there (that was actually dealt) that made enough sense for the Sox to weaken the future to try and win now. Also given what else transpired at the deadline with the Jays and Astros, things got much more difficult for the Sox to contend for the WC.

I think not making a deal was absolutely the right move and was a tough choice that Hahn had to make to set up a prolonged period of success in the future. KW would not have been as disciplined and would have thrown the orgs top 5 prospects in a desperate effort to win now.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 4, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
While I was disappointed that there weren't any deals made it is completely understandable given the way things shook out.

JR is very sensitive about selling off the White Flag deals get brought up to this day and are almost mythic in nature and the organization has been gun shy about selling ever since getting raked over the coals for that.

The return on Shark wasn't going to be enough. Looking at the market, Cueto brought about what you would have wanted to get for Shark and that wasn't going to happen. The draft pick will be worth more to the Sox than the pieces they could have picked up at the deadline for Shark, especially considering next years draft is said to be pretty deep.

The cost of rental impact bats was too high, while the pitching market didn't develop as expected, a deal for Cespedes would have been too costly, likely something like Spencer Adams, to justify making the move for this season. If the Sox fail to make the playoffs after making that move you damage your future and help a division rival. The Sox didn't have the ammo to shoot for Tulo and other than that there wasn't an impact bat out there (that was actually dealt) that made enough sense for the Sox to weaken the future to try and win now. Also given what else transpired at the deadline with the Jays and Astros, things got much more difficult for the Sox to contend for the WC.

I think not making a deal was absolutely the right move and was a tough choice that Hahn had to make to set up a prolonged period of success in the future. KW would not have been as disciplined and would have thrown the orgs top 5 prospects in a desperate effort to win now.

The organization has no choice but to be disciplined it terms of trying to 'add' pieces. They are in no position to trade prospects away. In fact, they desperately need to add prospects to a still well below average farm system. Thats what happens when your organization cannot draft for more than a decade. It forces Hahn to continue to look into trading away the only asset this team has which is starting pitching. In 2013 it all started with trading Peavy away for Avi and Montas. During the winter of 2013, they traded Hector Santiago for Eaton and Reed for Davidson.

Since this team won't even consider the idea of trading Chris Sale, they MUST look into trading Quintana this winter for positional players who have tremendous potential or younger talent whom have already made it in the big leagues.

This repatching and retooling non-sense must stop. This team needs a two to three year rebuild. If they continue to try and patch up holes via free agency and not address the actual problem, which is a lack of prospect depth in this system, they will continue to be a perennial average to below average team with a below average manager. Since you cannot draft, you better damn well consider acquirering prospects via trades. Melky can likely bring something of value back this winter as well.

Since KW and Robin aren't going anywhere due to the 'loyalty' game JR prides on, we can only hope Hahn convinces them both that this is the best and only way to go in an effort to make this team a true contender again. I don't give a damn how old JR is, they need to do whats right! Hire some real scouts, draft some real damn positional prospects and lets right this ship. You cannot fool Sox fans any longer. I hate to say it, but you don't have to look far just to see how obtaining prospects through trades and drafting well over a 4 to 5 year window can transform your organization. (Damn Cubs)

I don't want to hear "We can't afford to lose like they did" Well I'd much rather lose for three years than be average and miss the playoffs for the next 10 years. I stand here today, angry, disappointed and frustrated because I know they will NOT do the right thing under this current regime. I sure as hell hope they prove me wrong this winter. For the love of God, please scrap this made up '3 year window' KW mentioned and start a rebuild.

Edited by GreatScott82

Until we draft real, positional talent and rebuild instead of retooling, I have a feeling these disappointments will continue. But I agree, in principle that not buying was the right choice. The Sox are void in so many places in their lineup and can't really afford to lose any more prospects.

We've hit a rough patch post-deadline, but virtually all our losses came due to the pitching, not the offense, so adding a bat would not have a made a difference in those games. I can only imagine the angst here if we had traded Adams or Montas for Cespedes/Upton and were in the same position we are now. I'm really happy we didn't buy.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 09:32 AM)
We've hit a rough patch post-deadline, but virtually all our losses came due to the pitching, not the offense, so adding a bat would not have a made a difference in those games. I can only imagine the angst here if we had traded Adams or Montas for Cespedes/Upton and were in the same position we are now. I'm really happy we didn't buy.

I'm unhappy we didn't sell.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 12:40 PM)

Me too, up until the deadline I was hoping we'd sell Smarj. Also, if we had gotten a longer term piece I wouldn't have minded.

Once I saw the Leake trade I really wanted to have sold him.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 12:40 PM)

We really only had one piece of value to sell and the way the market unfolded, the return would not have been that much better than holding onto him and taking the compensation pick (and the associated draft pool money).

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)
We really only had one piece of value to sell and the way the market unfolded, the return would not have been that much better than holding onto him and taking the compensation pick (and the associated draft pool money).

Every time I read this comment I want to go back to the Samardzija trade thread where people kept insisting we'd be able to get equal or even better value for him at the trade deadline. I then want to slam my head against a wall.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
Every time I read this comment I want to go back to the Samardzija trade thread where people kept insisting we'd be able to get equal or even better value for him at the trade deadline. I then want to slam my head against a wall.

Yes and people were wrong, but no one knew Price was going to be traded at that point and that really disrupted the trade market quite a bit. The bottom line was that the market didn't unravel the way that a lot of people thought that it would and because of that, I do not have any regrets not selling.

• 11 months later...

Can't really be disappointed when many had the underlying feeling that nothing would happen. That being said it's a humongous slap in the face to fans having your GM come out and tell you a couple of weeks ago that this team is mired in mediocrity, then do absolutely nothing. They just told us as fans they're ok with being mediocre and not competing. That said I'm happy we didn't trade Sale and Quintana for peanuts, but other pieces should've been trade IMO as others.