The Disappointment Thread

bmags

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 02:30 PM)
That makes sense because, by keeping him, they essentially lowered the offers he'll get from other teams in FA (due to the comp pick). Thus they lowered the price it would take for them to re-sign him.

He's not a Stephen Drew or Kendrys Morales in the 2013 market.

He'll get his offers, just like Robertson and Melky got theirs...

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 02:44 PM)
I agree.

If they traded Shark weeks ago, they could have gotten 3 top notch prospects probably. But let's say Sox traded him yesterday or today for a couple prospects. That basically would have been a white flag trade. Maybe it would have been great for the team's future, but if Erik Johnson sucked, the Sox would basically be white flagging the work they did last offseason in putting together what they think is a playoff team.

Even though I love Danks, if I were the Sox, I'd bring up E. Johnson and insert him into the rotation for Danks right now. I'd also bring up Davidson and take the risk and insert him at third. What if he's the power bat we need? If Johnson is great that'll be the added boost the team needs. I have no idea what you then do with Danks.

Johnson, sure....he's a big part of the future, at least at the moment.

Davidson, they have to ride Saladino for as long as they can. No way they make that move. Have to rely on pitching/defense and clutch hitting to survive.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
The poster said we had no top 100 position player who could contribute next year, but we clearly have one who can.

And Eric Johnson was a top 100 until last year but now he's rebounded to possibly be even better than he was when he was a top 100 guy.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)
And Eric Johnson was a top 100 until last year but now he's rebounded to possibly be even better than he was when he was a top 100 guy.

Oh? Is Eric Johnson a position player now?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 01:23 PM)
I'd be pissed as a Cubs fan they didn't do more

I'd be thrilled as a Cubs fan. Be a realist. They ain't going anywhere yet. They are in a better spot right now then I expected them to be in and doing anything short sighted (with the cash they'll have in the off-season) would have been ridiculous.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 04:54 PM)
Recall that Scott Kazmir, who one would assume has a similar value to Samardzija, garnered the A's ... not a single top 200 prospect.

Is that based on a mid-season list? Because that catcher they got has been having a good year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 02:53 PM)
I'd be thrilled as a Cubs fan. Be a realist. They ain't going anywhere yet. They are in a better spot right now then I expected them to be in and doing anything short sighted (with the cash they'll have in the off-season) would have been ridiculous.

Cueto or Greinke to the Tigers, Price or Greinke to the Cubs...

Nightmare ensues.

After much bemusement and gnashing of teeth about horrible long-term contracts for pitchers in their 30's (add Lester/Verlander to the list), the next couple of seasons won't be much fun for Sox fans unless they can dramatically improve that starting line-up.

My only concern is that the White Sox management may not know what they currently have. If there's any truth to that, then I'm concerned. They have played 100 games and don't have a winning record, but are just a few games behind for a wildcard spot, albeit being a few teams. Does the last 8 games cause the White Sox to re-think what they saw for the first 90? Do they still think the team underachieved for 90 games and are now playing up to what they thought? Could they have gotten more value on Samardzijia had they pulled a trigger on a move?

This may not even be fair to the Sox, but they normally like to 'go for it' and aren't a team that typically rebuilds so not doing something, at least to me, signals they don't want to risk being wrong about thinking this team can win, but also not mortgaging what few prospects they do have.

My only concern is that the White Sox management may not know what they currently have. If there's any truth to that, then I'm concerned. They have played 100 games and don't have a winning record, but are just a few games behind for a wildcard spot, albeit being a few teams. Does the last 8 games cause the White Sox to re-think what they saw for the first 90? Do they still think the team underachieved for 90 games and are now playing up to what they thought? Could they have gotten more value on Samardzijia had they pulled a trigger on a move?

This may not even be fair to the Sox, but they normally like to 'go for it' and aren't a team that typically rebuilds so not doing something, at least to me, signals they don't want to risk being wrong about thinking this team can win, but also not mortgaging what few prospects they do have.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:54 PM)
Recall that Scott Kazmir, who one would assume has a similar value to Samardzija, garnered the A's ... not a single top 200 prospect.

And Mike Leake garnered the top arm in giants farm.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:01 PM)

Therein lies the problem....judging that ability to compete based on beating two last place teams on the road (and the Red Sox were in a horrendous slump, something like 2-12 or whatever) isn't much of a basis for suddenly believing they'd changed or transformed at the drop of a hat.

Saladino's suddenly a core, franchise piece...at 3B?

The odds just aren't in favor of that going by his entire career MILB history.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 04:04 PM)
Therein lies the problem....judging that ability to compete based on beating two last place teams on the road (and the Red Sox were in a horrendous slump, something like 2-12 or whatever) isn't much of a basis for suddenly believing they'd changed or transformed at the drop of a hat.

Saladino's suddenly a core, franchise piece...at 3B?

The odds just aren't in favor of that going by his entire career MILB history.

I don't know, Saladino was jerked around a bit and probably overpromoted, when he settled into AA and AAA he resembled his earlier years. He has shown .800+ OPS at multiple levels.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 04:01 PM)

This was a good post.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 05:01 PM)

@whitesox

Hahn: "If we continue to play the way we have... We'll be right in the thick of this thing until the end."

So...yes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 04:15 PM)
@whitesox

Hahn: "If we continue to play the way we have... We'll be right in the thick of this thing until the end."

So...yes.

This angers me. It just isnt logical.

How does he think we will continue to win 7 out of 8 games the rest of the way through?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 05:06 PM)
Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 3m3 minutes ago

"We were aggressive on multiple fronts. Ultimately costs did not justify the return."

-- Rick Hahn

I also consider the FO effort a failure. Maybe you don't move Shark. I agree not trading their top 5 prospects so that the farm has some pieces. But doing nothing tells me they may have only tried for a big splash and failed. I am disappointed they did not at least add a couple of minor pieces to bolster the bench. The bench is still Beckham and Boni( if his ribs are healed). What happens when the first starter gets hurt. We all held our breath when Abreu got hit on the wrist and Sale took a liner off the leg. Luckily only Boni actually went out w an injury. They certainly could have upgraded Beckham and Boni w/o giving up key pieces. Johnson in the minors gives some protection to the rotation but the offense could have used a lesser bat than the big names to add some flexibilty. For example , if an outfielder goes out for a few weeks, I think Shuck every day is a drop off and I don't think Charlotte has an answer.

Disappointing. Would be very interested to hear the conversations between Kenny (Mr. football attitude - go for it right now!) and Rick (patience to rebuild the organization.)

Agree though that being mediocre is the worst possible place to be in.

Another thing to consider in their heart of hearts the Sox front office may not have been sold on the chances for this team the final two months and didn't want to do anything stupid. If that's the case I agree with them.

Also frankly nobody else may have wanted the players they were offering, other might have felt they simply weren't that good.

Mark

Great you can sit there and play the stand pat card. Your not going to receive sympathy for trying. Toronto and Baltimore are going for it and trying to make a playoffs. They know they can make any more excuses. It's do or die.