The Disappointment Thread

bmags

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is exactly where we said we didn't want to be.

Around .500, but not 100% in the race. Not in a position for a franchise-changing draft pick in 2016. Fans more and more apathetic after just starting to buy in again in the last 2-3 weeks.

Still missing a RF, 3B, C and LaRoche has been hot garbage.

Not to mention that we're counting on Erik Johnson and John Danks going into 2016. Yay, second year of the competitive window, and we'll lose how many season ticket holders again?

Between Sale, Billy Pierce passing away, teams like the Tigers, Blue Jays, Dodgers, Royals and Astros just getting richer and richer...the excitement that we had over the last month, it's all going to disappear in the blink of an eye.

Yay! A compensation pick that might have the impact of a Keenyn Walker/Jared Mitchell in about 2019 or 2020.

We do have one of the most expensive closers in the league, though, so there's that.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:14 PM)
Hung on to Shark, mixed emotions. If the last week was for real, or at least semi-real, this team is going to win games.

But look at how much other playoff-hunting teams loaded up compared to the Sox who may or may not be good based on playing well for a little over a week in July.

It's hard to sit here and say the Sox are fine with standing pat because it's an ignorant move in my opinion to not buy or sell. If you think you can make a run, IMPROVE THE TEAM. If you don't think you can make it, get value for your team! There is no excuse for this.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)
Not too disappointed. I am glad need didn't trade Anderson/Danish/Adams for Cespedes.

What are the chances of us trading Shark by 8/31 deadline if we're out of it?

Zero.

He will be blocked and a trade won't be worked out to anyone's satisfaction.

The only way he could get through is with an onerous contract.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:13 PM)
You either buy or sell. Either you think you can make the postseason and strengthen that thought by adding a bat or you sell because you don't think you have enough. Don't just sit there and think we have enough, because honestly we don't.

The one time the Sox won the WS, they added Geoff Blum who wasn't a big add at the time. Became one in one AB, but other than that one AB was pretty insignificant. I am not comparing this team to that one, but the deals have to make sense. We can all be disappointed, but if we don't know the cost to add or the offer to sell, it's all complaining perhaps about something you would be complaining about not happening.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 04:15 PM)
Exactly. We will both not be top 10 protected, and almost assuredly have to sign a big ticket FA.

We are in no way obligated to sign a big ticket FA. There won't be many anyway, especially if you don't plan on looking at starting pitchers. Heyward will cost a pick, Upton apparently will, and Cespedes won't. There aren't as far as I know any major players slated to be available at non-OF positions

I am disappointed we did not find something of value in buying or selling. Seeing what some contending teams bought, I question our ability to win but I think I would have been more angry to see prospects go. I could only imagine giving up a prospect to a team who plays us every year and our rental doesn't get us over the top. I would be so pissed every time I saw that guy and was reminded of the failure to keep him.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 04:17 PM)
We are in no way obligated to sign a big ticket FA. There won't be many anyway, especially if you don't plan on looking at starting pitchers. Heyward will cost a pick, Upton apparently will, and Cespedes won't. There aren't as far as I know any major players slated to be available at non-OF positions

of course we're not obligated to...we could instead go into next year with a similar roster to the one we currently have, except probably without Samardzija and with a rookie in his place in the rotation.

KW and Hahn will tell the fans how close you were BS! If anyone thinks keeping Shark and doing nothing else, make this a playoff team I strongly disagree.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:18 PM)
of course we're not obligated to...we could instead go into next year with a similar roster to the one we currently have, except probably without Samardzija and with a rookie in his place in the rotation.

Maybe their "3 year window" is actually a window for a .500 team

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
Zero.

He will be blocked and a trade won't be worked out to anyone's satisfaction.

The only way he could get through is with an onerous contract.

Why would a non playoff team block him? And a team in contention might be willing to trade something for him. If not, there's a draft pick which everyone seems to hate, although they also hate signing established MLB players and giving up lower picks than the one the Sox will receive.

You don't know the offers, so why don't you just stop this act trying to get the complainers going for just one day?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:17 PM)

We have no top 100 position player prospect ready to go for 2016. If they want to improve that team then, they'll do what they did last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 04:18 PM)

You can also make trades, have young players emerge and improve, sign good players who don't cost >$100M and a draft pick, etc.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:21 PM)
If Samardzija had a contract like Cespedes, I'd be pissed. Since he doesn't, the compensation draft pick is quite valuable. No complaints here, let's see how the next few weeks go.

Agreed, we will find a good pitcher next year in the draft

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 04:21 PM)
We have no top 100 position player prospect ready to go for 2016. If they want to improve that team then, they'll do what they did last year.

Micah Johnson?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 03:17 PM)
The one time the Sox won the WS, they added Geoff Blum who wasn't a big add at the time. Became one in one AB, but other than that one AB was pretty insignificant. I am not comparing this team to that one, but the deals have to make sense. We can all be disappointed, but if we don't know the cost to add or the offer to sell, it's all complaining perhaps about something you would be complaining about not happening.

Surprisingly that team was not 2 games below .500 in august.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)
Why would a non playoff team block him? And a team in contention might be willing to trade something for him. If not, there's a draft pick which everyone seems to hate, although they also hate signing established MLB players and giving up lower picks than the one the Sox will receive.

You don't know the offers, so why don't you just stop this act trying to get the complainers going for just one day?

Think of it this way...the White Sox have one of the worst records out of any "competitive" team right now. They have to worry about anyone going anywhere. If there's anyone put on the waiver wire where an AL team might be interested in them, the White Sox basically need to block that from happening unless the contract is something they wouldn't take on.

Whoever the worst "competitive" team is in each league basically needs to sit there and block. The only team you're going to be able to trade him to is that team. Maybe Diamondbacks or Padres in the NL? (waiver wire crosses leagues first right?)