Sox sign Dayan Viciedo

flavum

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 03:48 PM)
Dayan wasn't a miserable MLB player, he just wasn't good enough to make plans to start him. The fact that he can't play good defense was both his downfall as a starter and the reason he's in the minor leagues. If he wasn't a bottom-tier OF and more of just a DH, he'd get a chance because even his offensive disappointments weren't horrible in terms of overall production. But you can't give too many chances to a guy who has to hit way above average just to cover his poor defense.

I'd call him up if I needed him, but I wouldn't ever enter a season trying to a find a place for him.

and esp if he is does several things the sox like or need. a dh / 1 b who can help in the shorts.

the other is the salary.......

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 09:53 AM)
Based on his whole career, Laroche has been far better than Viciedo.

Laroche is also 36 years old. He could also be done. It's not ideal but there is a real possibility Viciedo could put up better numbers than Laroche next season. I hope we aren't in a position to even find that out, but I can see it being a possibility unfortunately.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)
Laroche is also 36 years old. He could also be done. It's not ideal but there is a real possibility Viciedo could put up better numbers than Laroche next season. I hope we aren't in a position to even find that out, but I can see it being a possibility unfortunately.

it is pretty much like giving Paulie the same contract and expect him to continue to put up prime age stats.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 09:17 AM)
If Dayan Viciedo doesn't convince you that AAA numbers for veteran players are worthless, I don't know what will. Do people really think that he learned something during his 152 AAA PA's at Charlotte, that he didn't during his 1798 major league plate appearances?

It could be that after getting released by the Sox and then falling on his face with the A's after being out of baseball for a bit was a wake up call to him that he needed to approach things differently. There are always stories of guys breaking out later in life after struggling for a while, its not a common situation but it does happen. If he doesn't show much you can throw him away again, its not like it is going to take a huge investment to keep him around.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)
It could be that after getting released by the Sox and then falling on his face with the A's after being out of baseball for a bit was a wake up call to him that he needed to approach things differently. There are always stories of guys breaking out later in life after struggling for a while, its not a common situation but it does happen. If he doesn't show much you can throw him away again, its not like it is going to take a huge investment to keep him around.

Keep him at AAA? Sure no problem. Unless he is blocking someone, who cares. At the major league level, no way in hell. I'd rather keep someone like Leury Garcia on the roster who can play defense at multiple positions and steal a base.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 04:38 PM)
This is like arguing which kind of s*** that you want in your toilet.

They're both s***; neither is turning into gold any time soon.

and while i am not disputing what you are saying, we have owners who will want to spare the amount of toilet paper being use. giving out single sheets and reusing others to save money.

this is what we the fans are being driven to. this kind of shiiteing logic. :headbang

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)
and while i am not disputing what you are saying, we have owners who will want to spare the amount of toilet paper being use. giving out single sheets and reusing others to save money.

this is what we the fans are being driven to. this kind of shiiteing logic. :headbang

Yea this is false. You can accuse the Sox of making bad personnel decisions, but they have spent plenty of money.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
Which is exactly why he shouldn't be taking up a major league roster space for us.

Could not agree more. Melky, Eaton, Thompson, Shuck, Avi and LaRoche add up to six players to fill three outfield positions and the DH spot. The Sox need to subtract from that group, not add to it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 04:12 PM)
Yea this is false. You can accuse the Sox of making bad personnel decisions, but they have spent plenty of money.

and this can be false as well. it will depend on the POV one will look at it.

last yr, it was 120 and no more for salary. what will anyone expect the salary to be this off season.

no one will know until they, the FO tells the press.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 11:24 AM)
[/b]

and this can be false as well. it will depend on the POV one will look at it.

last yr, it was 120 and no more for salary. what will anyone expect the salary to be this off season.

no one will know until they, the FO tells the press.

There is no point of view LDF. Look at their payroll, they cant hide that

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 04:34 PM)
There is no point of view LDF. Look at their payroll, they cant hide that

with all due respect and i mean no to insult you. but....

this part of this discussion will bring up a ugly rant from spring training..... i do not wish to bring that up.

but i will still hilite the main points.

it is all subjective on what fans and others see as profit and lost

what should be the budget of a team, esp in looking at how this team was, is and where it wants to go or reach.

and this is not subjective,

what the owners want to spend

every thing else is conjecture.

again, i do want to upset anyone .... at least until spring training. :D

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
Do you really think, if given the same number of 2016 PA's, LaRoche would outperform Viciedo?

Realistically, LaRoche has a history of being a good hitter, and Viciedo has a history of being a mediocre to bad one. The odds of getting a decent season out of Viciedo are WAY lower, than the they are for LaRoche.

Let me put it this way, Dayan has one season which had only 106 PAs in it, which had a higher OPS than LaRoche's career average OPS.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)
Realistically, LaRoche has a history of being a good hitter, and Viciedo has a history of being a mediocre to bad one. The odds of getting a decent season out of Viciedo are WAY lower, than the they are for LaRoche.

Let me put it this way, Dayan has one season which had only 106 PAs in it, which had a higher OPS than LaRoche's career average OPS.

I know Viciedo isn't good. This isn't directed at you, but don't label me as some huge Viciedo fan, like Greg and Danks. He's bad, but I'm arguing that he could have a better DH season than LaRoche.

I know LaRoche has a good history, but he is in a serious decline. I don't expect anything from him next year.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
Maybe not, but they'd both play like s*** and we'd lose, so it doesn't matter.

Where it matters is re-assigning the money owed to LaRoche to help in other areas like amateur signings and the ability to take on some money next summer if the team is in the race. If the Sox can move LaRoche over the winter I see no problem replacing his roster spot with DV's minor league deal. It allows the team to get Melky out of the OF more often, allows them to spell Abreu at 1B, and gives them some legit power on the bench.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 03:43 PM)
Where it matters is re-assigning the money owed to LaRoche to help in other areas like amateur signings and the ability to take on some money next summer if the team is in the race. If the Sox can move LaRoche over the winter I see no problem replacing his roster spot with DV's minor league deal. It allows the team to get Melky out of the OF more often, allows them to spell Abreu at 1B, and gives them some legit power on the bench.

Why on Earth would anyone take LaRoche?

As bad as Viciedo was, in his 5 years with the Sox, at ages 21 to 25, he never had a year as bad as the one La Roche has had this year.

Considering that La Roche will be 36 next year, and Dayan will be just 27, I'd prefer to take my chances with the player who has just

entered his prime.

Edited by Lillian