8/2 vs NY Yankees

flavum

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)
Can we just steal the Cubs scouts?

I look at what that club has done with great envy. Houston, too. There needs to be a scouting and development shakeup. I have a feeling a lot of that falls on the remnants of Kenny Williams past and current power.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 02:35 PM)
How hard is it to "Draft Kris Bryant"?

(No one who works for the Astros is allowed to answer this question).

It's not just Kris Bryant. I don't think they drafted Bryant, anyway. It's Kris Bryant, it's turning Shark into Addison Russell. Their minor leagues are just so stacked and their FO just gets it.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 08:37 PM)
It's not just Kris Bryant. I don't think they drafted Bryant, anyway. It's Kris Bryant, it's turning Shark into Addison Russell. Their minor leagues are just so stacked.

Schwarber was a great pick given the industry consensus going into the draft.

Samardzija has nothing today. These games happen. The Sox just can't afford them to happen at this point. There is almost no margin for error at all. Games like this are why you can't waste great pitching performances with no offense throughout the year. They just have to play better than they are capable to catch anyone. This team will hover around .500 all season. Kind of what I thought going in with an outside shot at a 2nd WildCard if some things go right.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)
Schwarber was a great pick given the industry consensus going into the draft.

Right, and while the Sox are fantastic at drafting pitching, they could use some real fielding prospects.

The Cubs understand they will have to overpay for pitching and they're okay with that, but their fielding prospect pool is just so rich. It's the same thing that makes the Cardinals excellent year in and year out.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 03:37 PM)
It's not just Kris Bryant. I don't think they drafted Bryant, anyway. It's Kris Bryant, it's turning Shark into Addison Russell. Their minor leagues are just so stacked.

The move you can call impressive for me is getting a guy like Arrieta and turning him into something valuable.

Turning Samardzija into the #7 prospect in baseball (IIRC that's where BA had him slotted)? easy move.

Stealing Rizzo from San Diego? Easy move.

And yes, they drafted Bryant, after the Astros passed on him. They put themselves in a position where mostly they were making fairly easy decisions. Some of them have even backfired - Castro extension for example.

It's like us getting Rodon. Easy move.

Schwarber...if he keeps hitting like this, much more impressive move.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
The move you can call impressive for me is getting a guy like Arrieta and turning him into something valuable.

Turning Samardzija into the #7 prospect in baseball (IIRC that's where BA had him slotted)? easy move.

Stealing Rizzo from San Diego? Easy move.

And yes, they drafted Bryant, after the Astros passed on him. They put themselves in a position where mostly they were making fairly easy decisions. Some of them have even backfired - Castro extension for example.

It's like us getting Rodon. Easy move.

Schwarber...if he keeps hitting like this, much more impressive move.

And the thing is, now Cub fans understand why they were bad for so many seasons. They look to be competitive for multiple seasons. It's been said the White Sox can't do something like that, but they've been so bad year in and year out, could it really be that much worse than it is right now?

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 01:42 PM)
And the thing is, now Cub fans understand why they were bad for so many seasons. They look to be competitive for multiple seasons. It's been said the White Sox can't do something like that, but they've been so bad year in and year out, could it really be that much worse than it is right now?

They could do it. They don't want to.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 12:43 PM)
This is really disappointing. What a s*** show. This front office has a lot of work to do.

I'll take a .500 season, would love one or two above. That would be progress and a definite improvement on the first half of the season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
Looking at next year's roster, getting a legit RF and 3B should be step 1 and 1a

They're not going to give up on Avi yet and we all know that.

What they're going to do in the IF I have no idea. But since I think them picking up Alexei's option is a terrible idea, that's my best guess.