8.6 games

BigFinn

And here they are:

Games for August 6, 2015

Pitching Matchups:

Buffalo vs. Charlotte: Randy Wolf vs. Brad Penny

B'ham at Tennessee: Myles Jaye vs. Jeffry Antigua

W/Salem at Carolina: Yency Almonte vs. Rob Whalen (Andrew Waszak is in as a reliever for Carolina)

Kannapolis at Greensboro: Spencer Adams vs. Tyler Kolek

Great Falls at Orem: Matt Ball vs. Jaime Barria

In a rain-shortened affair, Kannapolis defeated Greensboro 2-1. Spencer Adams gave up 1 run on 4 hits, struck out 8, and walked only 1. Tyler Kolek, also through 5 innings, gave up both runs on 3 hits, with 9 strikeouts and 2 walks.

From the Raleigh-Durham area, Winston-Salem is leading Carolina 3-0 through 7+ innings. Yency Almonte pitched 6 2/3 of shutout ball, allowing 3 hits and a walk, and striking out 7 Carolina batters. Rob Whalen gave up 2 runs in the first inning, one driven in by a productive ground out off the bat of Trey Michalczewski, the other on a solo shot by Keon Barnum.

Birmingham is leading Tennessee after 5 innings in a game delayed by rain. Over 5 innings, Miles Jaye 2 runs on 5 hits, no walks, and 3 strikeouts. Zach Isler has come in to pitch after the rain delay. Jeffry Antigua gave up 5 runs on 8 hits over 6 innings before the rain came.

After 6 innings, Charlotte is losing to Buffalo 6-0. Brad Penny gave up 6 runs on 10 hits, 1 walk, and 4 strikeouts. Wolf has scattered 7 hits and a walk, striking out 6.

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 08:54 PM)
Spencer Adams last 7 starts: 41 1/3 IP, 10 ER, 42 H, 2.18 ERA, 35 K, 3 BB. 1.09 WHIP, 7.62 K/9, 11.67 K:BB. 1 of those starts was at A+.

Great to see, so happy we didn't trade him for a rental bat (he would have been the most likely to go)

Hard not to love a pitcher at that age who gets in trouble because he doesn't know when not to throw a strike yet. Seems like he is a pitcher that as he learns to pitch will be a gamer.

Trey seems to have hit a rough patch recently.

QUOTE (staxx @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 05:04 AM)
Rodon/Fulmer/Adams/Montas/Danish/Guerrero/Lowry+Jay

I absolutely love it.

i hate to think of it, but i have a real nasty feeling some of those maybe trade bait for what this team needs.

QUOTE (wsiskel @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 05:11 AM)
Barons RHP Peter Tago is a stud. 23 y/o former first-rounder of the Rockies in his last 10 games w/ Barons (and Dash): 17.1 IP, 9 H, 2 ER, 25 SO, 8 BB, 1.04 ERA, and 6 saves.

another arm.... where and how does this team get all the luck for acquiring pitchers. :D

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 11:13 PM)
another arm.... where and how does this team get all the luck for acquiring pitchers. :D

It really is impressive and a huge organizational strength - top to bottom. Has as much to do with scouting and player dev. as it does luck.

More on Tago: http://dashboard.mlblogs.com/2015/08/06/da...-major-success/

"Former Dash right-hander Peter Tago mainly used a curveball as a secondary pitch during his first four years of professional baseball after being drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the supplemental first round, 47th overall, in 2010.

However, upon arriving to White Sox Spring Training in February after being taken in the Triple-A phase of the Rule V Draft, Tago worked with Dash pitching coach J.R. Perdew and Kannapolis pitching coach Jose Bautista to develop a slider. The results have been staggering: During the four years Tago spent in the Colorado system, lefties bashed him to a .276/.406/.408 tune. However, across Kannapolis, Winston-Salem and Birmingham this season, left-handed batters have only hit .211/.302/.276.

“It’s just an easier pitch for me to throw as far as secondary to lefties,” said Tago, who was promoted to Double-A Birmingham on July 25. “It’s hard and it’s not easy to pick up out of my hand as compared to when I was throwing a curveball previously in my career.

“It’s based off the fastball – I can throw it with the same arm speed and same arm action as my fastball, and that is what gets the hitter to commit.”

QUOTE (wsiskel @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 05:22 AM)
It really is impressive and a huge organizational strength - top to bottom. Has as much to do with scouting and player dev. as it does luck.

but with that success, i am getting very greedy and want to keep them all.

it is going to be interesting off season.

QUOTE (wsiskel @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 05:29 AM)
More on Tago: http://dashboard.mlblogs.com/2015/08/06/da...-major-success/

"Former Dash right-hander Peter Tago mainly used a curveball as a secondary pitch during his first four years of professional baseball after being drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the supplemental first round, 47th overall, in 2010.

However, upon arriving to White Sox Spring Training in February after being taken in the Triple-A phase of the Rule V Draft, Tago worked with Dash pitching coach J.R. Perdew and Kannapolis pitching coach Jose Bautista to develop a slider. The results have been staggering: During the four years Tago spent in the Colorado system, lefties bashed him to a .276/.406/.408 tune. However, across Kannapolis, Winston-Salem and Birmingham this season, left-handed batters have only hit .211/.302/.276.

“It’s just an easier pitch for me to throw as far as secondary to lefties,” said Tago, who was promoted to Double-A Birmingham on July 25. “It’s hard and it’s not easy to pick up out of my hand as compared to when I was throwing a curveball previously in my career.

“It’s based off the fastball – I can throw it with the same arm speed and same arm action as my fastball, and that is what gets the hitter to commit.”

nice write up. great info

you know, it would be great to get a great feelings on the coaches in the minors.

QUOTE (wsiskel @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 04:11 AM)
Barons RHP Peter Tago is a stud. 23 y/o former first-rounder of the Rockies in his last 10 games w/ Barons (and Dash): 17.1 IP, 9 H, 2 ER, 25 SO, 8 BB, 1.04 ERA, and 6 saves.

The guy struggled for years with Rockies org trying to even get an even BB/K ratio. With the Sox he has 66 Ks and 22 Walks. Someone fixed him. He could be a big, big find.

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 07:21 AM)
The guy struggled for years with Rockies org trying to even get an even BB/K ratio. With the Sox he has 66 Ks and 22 Walks. Someone fixed him. He could be a big, big find.

Sox are so good at this.

I still like to point at Tanner Mendonca in a similar fashion, as I've never seen a more dramatic turnaround. Check this out...

2013 Rk League (age 21) with MIN: 23.1 IP, 24 H, 22 ER, 37 BB, 23 K

2014 Rk League (age 22) with CHW: 21.1 IP, 16 H, 9 ER, 6 BB, 41 K

I mean, look at the K/BB numbers. That's insane. He went back to GTF this June and was doing the same great stuff, but for some reason hasn't pitched since 6/30. Still on active roster. I'll have to send a note over there and see what's up. But regardless, that is a ridiculous turnaround.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)
Sox are so good at this.

I still like to point at Tanner Mendonca in a similar fashion, as I've never seen a more dramatic turnaround. Check this out...

2013 Rk League (age 21) with MIN: 23.1 IP, 24 H, 22 ER, 37 BB, 23 K

2014 Rk League (age 22) with CHW: 21.1 IP, 16 H, 9 ER, 6 BB, 41 K

I mean, look at the K/BB numbers. That's insane. He went back to GTF this June and was doing the same great stuff, but for some reason hasn't pitched since 6/30. Still on active roster. I'll have to send a note over there and see what's up. But regardless, that is a ridiculous turnaround.

I really wonder what they see in these guys that they like or think they can fix, Tago wasn't the first and won't be the last...CWS might not be able to develop any sort of productive hitter but they always pop out quality arms

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 08:09 AM)
I really wonder what they see in these guys that they like or think they can fix, Tago wasn't the first and won't be the last...CWS might not be able to develop any sort of productive hitter but they always pop out quality arms

Thing is, while it's tempting to let all the arms develop and have them pitch on the big league club, there's only so many spots. They need to start trading some pitching depth to get hitters.