Bill Maher: God/Organized Religion, yes or no

greg775

Bill Maher:God/ yes or no  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God?

• Yes
    • No

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
10-4, Yikes!

I am asking if u believe in God; the guy who is sitting up on the throne in heaven. The religious version of God who is up there looking down on everybody and created everything. Not just a spirit but God, the big guy in charge of us all.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
While the poll could certainly be worded better or have more options, I highly doubt "a lot" of the No votes are from people who do believe in God. I doubt even one is.

The part both of you I think are missing as key here, is he said "God/Creation", not just "God". Two seperate questions. Most people don't believe in Creationism in the Biblical sense as being literal truth. But most people certainly do believe in God(s) in some form.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 09:40 PM)
The part both of you I think are missing as key here, is he said "God/Creation", not just "God". Two seperate questions. Most people don't believe in Creationism in the Biblical sense as being literal truth. But most people certainly do believe in God(s) in some form.

If it said Creationism, I'd understand your objection, but the number of people who believe in a god who has had no creative influence in the universe is minute. There's no way, for example, a theistic evolutionist would vote "No" in this poll.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 12:51 AM)
Bill Maher is an awful athiest. As an athiest, I hate people who go out there and make fun of other people's religions and make it seem like they're all inferior people. Maher's one of those guys.

You're not going to get religious people to change their minds. If they do, it's not because you yelled at them and told them they're stupid.

Maher mocks religion because the abuses of the institutions are dangerous.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 09:57 PM)
Maher mocks religion because the abuses of the institutions are dangerous.

True, but I've listened to him a lot on youtube lately. He mocks the being also. He thinks he's a myth, a fairy tale.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 03:40 PM)

NSS is right on the money. I didnt vote for this exact reason.

I certainly wouldnt say I believe in the same god I pictured this poll to be about but I also wouldnt say I dont believe in anything. Either way there certainly isnt an option in that poll that Id feel comfortable choosing.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)
While we are at it, you also shouldn't lump together God and organized religion. There are people out there that might believe in a God, but don't agree with the concept of organized religion.

I just wanna know if people believe there's a man upstairs in charge. Not a spirit or a state of limbo but a real God.

As far as the other topics it's hard to believe we are going to die and merely vanish with all memories of this life gone and no future contact with those in our families and others we connected with on earth. It's possible but why have all this to begin with if when we die we're just vaporized and no longer exist in any fashion?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 08:09 PM)
As far as the other topics it's hard to believe we are going to die and merely vanish with all memories of this life gone and no future contact with those in our families and others we connected with on earth. It's possible but why have all this to begin with if when we die we're just vaporized and no longer exist in any fashion?

Why is that hard to believe? It may be unpleasant to believe, but I see no reason to believe otherwise.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
10-4, Yikes!

I am asking if u believe in God; the guy who is sitting up on the throne in heaven. The religious version of God who is up there looking down on everybody and created everything. Not just a spirit but God, the big guy in charge of us all.

So the magic man in the sky version?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 12:58 AM)
I'm pretty sure Obama is not actually religious.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but like you said, in the political world, if you're anything that's not a Christian denomination or Jewish, you're screwed.

To be elected president you need to literally have heard "God" tell you that its the plan for you. I think they covered it pretty well in the republican debate.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 08:28 PM)
So the magic man in the sky version?

Yes. Jimmy Carter believes in that version and nobody can deny he is one helluva smart person. Some of us believe. Some don't.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 05:06 PM)
Yes. Jimmy Carter believes in that version and nobody can deny he is one helluva smart person. Some of us believe. Some don't.

Actually, that makes him pretty stupid. ;)

Religion is the ONLY thing we accept in our lives where there is no burden of proof necessary.

Climate change is real. NO ITS NOT YOU HIPPY LIBERAL!! PROOVE IT!

Dinosaurs existed. NO THEY DIDN'T, THEY WERE NEVER MENTIONED IN THE BIBLE ONCE!! PROOVE IT!

People evolved. NO THEY DIDN'T, APES STILL EXIST SO HOW DID WE EVOLVE FROM THEM?! PROOVE IT!

Medicine cures diseases, not praying! NUH-UH, YOU NINNY! PROOVE IT!

But if you say, "I swear to you, this magical guy floating in the sky exists, but you can't see him, talk to him or touch him...ever."

OMG I COMPLETELY AGREE.

Oh, and for the first four, even when you do show scientific proof, they won't believe you...but if you pass down a story from thousands of years ago, written by people who would be considered stupid by todays standards, we take their every superstitious word at face value without asking for a single shred of evidence.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 02:09 PM)
I just wanna know if people believe there's a man upstairs in charge. Not a spirit or a state of limbo but a real God.

Why do you assume there's a reason why humans exist and have established civilizations on earth? There doesn't need to be a reason. Maybe we're just here because billions of years of evolution and progression have led here, as well as an uncountable number of other places.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 05:06 PM)

Some people need an answer to the "Why" in life, they need that mental or spiritual safety net. Religion for the most part provides that comfort. Some dont need that.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 07:08 PM)
I'm an atheist. Don't believe in a higher being. I believe that it's a "fairy tale" as well but I don't begrudge people who believe differently.

Unless you try to push it on to me go ahead and do what you want.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 10:49 PM)
Why do you assume there's a reason why humans exist and have established civilizations on earth? There doesn't need to be a reason. Maybe we're just here because billions of years of evolution and progression have led here, as well as an uncountable number of other places.

16-4 vote so far! Wow, society is changing. Keep voting please.

There has to be a reason we are living, breathing, thinking beings. If there is no God and afterlife then why aren't we all selfish bastards every minute of our lives? The minute we die we're toast, never to be cognizant of anything again? Why don't we just run amok on earth if this is all arbitrary?

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 11:16 PM)
I'm not sure how anybody can believe in a kind god who made man as an image of himself when you see how absolutely horrible the human race has been throughout history. He would be one smiteful SOB.

God never promised us an easy life. He promised to be with us during the trials if we believe. I actually have proof there is a God but I will not share the story. Too personal.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 11:40 PM)
Some people need an answer to the "Why" in life, they need that mental or spiritual safety net. Religion for the most part provides that comfort. Some dont need that.

I disagree. The people who I know who worship mainly do it as a form of thanks to God. Most of us aren't doing it for safety, but most of our praying is praise.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 12:08 AM)
I'm an atheist. Don't believe in a higher being. I believe that it's a "fairy tale" as well but I don't begrudge people who believe differently.

That's cool. But why is it a fairy tale? Why has America become so skeptical about matters such as these? I have a mother, two brothers and a sister. Right now the sister has nothing but problems with her kids, with her emotional health, pretty much every moment of her life is hell. WHy doesn't she give it to God and quit being selfish and obey the Golden Rule? My mom the same way ... totally self absorbed, needs meds, is basically miserable. I want to tell them to start going to church and trust God but it's on deaf ears. They think only of themselves and won't give anything to God.

My one brother has given up on the church cause he's a lawyer and very upset at the pedophile stuff. I can't blame him. He will no longer give a penny to his Catholic high school and he used to be a big booster. My other brother seems happy as well and he is atheist which is cool.

But why doesn't everybody believe?? I feel it'd make for a happy world.

One other thing: I'm surprised we haven't completely gone off the deep end. SHouldn't it be considered child "abuse" making kids go to church when they are above the age of 8? Aren't parents abusing their kids, forcing this fairy tale on them and shouldn't this be stopped? A parent wouldn't be allowed to hold rituals where they force their kids to drink and smoke. WHy haven't liberals insisted that parents have no right to make kids go to church? And I say "abuse" cause I couldn't think of a proper synonym.

Edited by greg775

I grew up raised in a Christian family. I was committed and took my faith seriously my entire life. When I got to college, I wanted to back my beliefs by learning more about what I proclaimed as truth, so I majored in bible and theology and minored in 1st century [biblical] Greek. Unlike my peers, the more I learned, the more I started to realize how much less reason there was to believe in Christianity and God. By the time I graduated, I still believed, but only because I was holding onto "faith" that I had built up throughout my whole life.

As I met more people after college, I started to meet others who had "faith" and started to really question what the point of faith without any backing is. When I met someone with unwaivering faith in Sai Baba (youtube him), I think I started to get perspective of how pointless faith alone is.

It's been a bit difficult, because most of my family and friends that I grew up with were all Christians and I've lost a lot of those friendships (not because difference in beliefs) because I'm not involved in a lot of church/faith based activities I used to.

I wish God exists, I wish Christianity was true. But I also am not going to live a lie because I want it to.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 03:13 AM)
I grew up raised in a Christian family. I was committed and took my faith seriously my entire life. When I got to college, I wanted to back my beliefs by learning more about what I proclaimed as truth, so I majored in bible and theology and minored in 1st century [biblical] Greek. Unlike my peers, the more I learned, the more I started to realize how much less reason there was to believe in Christianity and God. By the time I graduated, I still believed, but only because I was holding onto "faith" that I had built up throughout my whole life.

As I met more people after college, I started to meet others who had "faith" and started to really question what the point of faith without any backing is. When I met someone with unwaivering faith in Sai Baba (youtube him), I think I started to get perspective of how pointless faith alone is.

It's been a bit difficult, because most of my family and friends that I grew up with were all Christians and I've lost a lot of those friendships (not because difference in beliefs) because I'm not involved in a lot of church/faith based activities I used to.

I wish God exists, I wish Christianity was true. But I also am not going to live a lie because I want it to.

Good post. I'm wondering why all that knowledge you gained did not support a God. I mean you could say the Bible is false and a lousy book but you could still believe in the ultimate creator if you wanted. Any chance you just got burned out on the whole thing? I'm stunned we are at 16-4 unbelief.