White Sox mentioned as potential landing spot for Upton

southsider2k5

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 10:12 AM)
I just think this would be a disaster. An awful signing and bad strategy. I'd prefer we do nothing for 1 more year than this.

The only better FA OF option in my eyes would be Heyward. Upton is still in his prime (28), while Gordon (32) and Cespedes (30) contracts will get ugly later because they all will end up getting 5-7 year deals.

The only thing that Gordon really provides over Upton is plus defense. Can Gordon play RF? Do you move Melky to RF? Upton and Heyward have at least played RF in their careers.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 11:15 AM)
The only better FA OF option in my eyes would be Heyward. Upton is still in his prime (28), while Gordon (32) and Cespedes (30) contracts will get ugly later because they all will end up getting 5-7 year deals.

The only thing that Gordon really provides over Upton is plus defense. Can Gordon play RF? Do you move Melky to RF? Upton and Heyward have at least played RF in their careers.

But Plus defense is a big big deal to this team. Upton is a good bat, but I'm not really interested in a marginal upgrade in hitting and no upgrade in defense. Gordon I could talk myself into as we are getting the best defensive left fielder in the game. Gordon-Trayce-Eaton would save how many runs from our excellent pitching staff?

Upton seems like such a white sox player. A bat not good enough to be scared of, will get worse and worse defensively and signed to a price that diminishes any return when we inevitably try to cut our losses.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 12:02 PM)
But Plus defense is a big big deal to this team. Upton is a good bat, but I'm not really interested in a marginal upgrade in hitting and no upgrade in defense. Gordon I could talk myself into as we are getting the best defensive left fielder in the game. Gordon-Trayce-Eaton would save how many runs from our excellent pitching staff?

Upton seems like such a white sox player. A bat not good enough to be scared of, will get worse and worse defensively and signed to a price that diminishes any return when we inevitably try to cut our losses.

Where would Avi and Melky go?

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 12:03 PM)
Where would Avi and Melky go?

I know you weren't asking me, but I'd say you cut bait on LaRoche. Melky can DH on days Trayce is in the lineup and play left when he isn't. Avi can go to the bench, or the minors, or a gulag.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
I know you weren't asking me, but I'd say you cut bait on LaRoche. Melky can DH on days Trayce is in the lineup and play left when he isn't. Avi can go to the bench, or the minors, or a gulag.

That's what I figured, but I doubt that the Sox would eat $12 million to run LaRoche out of town and I don't know if Avi would accept a minor league assignment or a bench spot at this point.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 12:14 PM)
That's what I figured, but I doubt that the Sox would eat $12 million to run LaRoche out of town and I don't know if Avi would accept a minor league assignment or a bench spot at this point.

Avi doesn't have to accept a minor league assignment, they can option him. They won't, but they can.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 12:37 PM)
Why would the Cardinals make that trade?

They might not, but Peralta's glove is hurting them at SS, Carpenter hit better when he played 2B, Adams is injured and was never their ideal 1b, and for some reason, everybody who goes there seems to somehow improve dramatically, so Avi would probably turn into an all-star.