**2015 World Series - Mets vs Royals**

flavum

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 10:59 PM)
The Royals were down 3-2 before Hosmer's ball to Murphy.

He makes the play and it's runners on second and third, two outs for Moustakas and the Mets clinging to the lead. They probably would have loaded the bases to face Perez, for the Rhb/Rhp matchup.

Bingo. Cubs fans on twitter already comparing it to Buckner. Think that's a bit ridiculous, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the death blow to the Mets chances.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 10:47 PM)
Yes, but it sets an even higher bar or standard. From Point A to B is a massive gulf, at least for the moment.

And I disagree. The Royals set the standard by winning 95 games, them winning a few short playoff series that are each basically a toss-up doesn't change anything. If the Astros had held on to their 4-run lead in Game 4 of the ALDS, the distance from Point A to Point B would be exactly the same. This changes nothing.

The Royals were down 3-2 before Hosmer's ball to Murphy.

He makes the play and it's runners on second and third, two outs for Moustakas and the Mets clinging to the lead. They probably would have loaded the bases to face Perez, for the Rhb/Rhp matchup.

Whatever.... Matz left in, Murphy's play doesn't happen.

That's my point.

Managers are being ridiculous...pulling starters after 1 or 2 ER.... 5th inning!!!!!!!!! LOL. Clownshoes.

Makes me miss Ozzie.

He had faith in his pitchers (and D) to go deep.

Throughout all these playoffs - I've not seen one manager trust their SPs. Not one.

No wonder Ozzie won a WS...he had...what....4 of them throw CGs in '05 along the way?

Edited by Ballz-n-Strikes

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 11:07 PM)
And I disagree. The Royals set the standard by winning 95 games, them winning a few short playoff series that are each basically a toss-up doesn't change anything. If the Astros had held on to their 4-run lead in Game 4 of the ALDS, the distance from Point A to Point B would be exactly the same. This changes nothing.

Oh come on. It changes nothing, really? So we're just going to go about assembling our team with second third tier FA and cast away FA's to compete against a DIVISIONAL opponent, twice in the World Series and likely to win it this season, even after Williams has acknowledged we're in our three year window?

Point A to Point B changes when the Royals have more revenue from a World Series run to retain, sign, extend vital playera for their success.

Oh come on. It changes nothing, really? So we're just going to go about assembling our team with second third tier FA and cast away FA's to compete against a DIVISIONAL opponent, twice in the World Series and likely to win it this season, even after Williams has acknowledged we're in our three year window?

Point A to Point B changes when the Royals have more revenue from a World Series run to retain, sign, extend vital playera for their success.

Flash is right.

Make moves.

Move #1: Cespedes

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 10:08 PM)
Whatever.... Matz left in, Murphy's play doesn't happen.

That's my point.

Managers are being ridiculous...pulling starters after 1 or 2 ER.... 5th inning!!!!!!!!! LOL. Clownshoes.

Makes me miss Ozzie.

He had faith in his pitchers (and D) to go deep.

Throughout all these playoffs - I've not seen one manager trust their SPs. Not one.

No wonder Ozzie won a WS...he had...what....4 of them throw CGs in '05 along the way?

Sure, their top three guys are horses.

The problem is that Matz missed a huge chunk of the season (especially second half), back problems, conditioning issues, etc.

Then he was throwing ever harder than normal because he was all amped up. You could see he was hitting a wall.

Imo the problem was Niese or Colon weren't the greatest options there, either. Niese is just ordinary against lefties, not superhuman. Matz has the better stuff even if you consider all the factors already outlined.

And bullpens are so specialized now difficult to compare with a decade ago.

Sure, their top three guys are horses.

The problem is that Matz missed a huge chunk of the season (especially second half), back problems, conditioning issues, etc.

Then he was throwing ever harder than normal because he was all amped up. You could see he was hitting a wall.

Imo the problem was Niese or Colon weren't the greatest options there, either. Niese is just ordinary against lefties, not superhuman. Matz has the better stuff even if you consider all the factors already outlined.

And bullpens are so specialized now difficult to compare with a decade ago.

What are you talking about?

Matz doesn't have injury problems. I live in NY metro and I have friends who know his family. That kid can take ALL comers.

Pulling him before 70 pitches is...STUPID.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 10:28 PM)

Cespedes OR Frazier (not both) is exactly what we've become conditioned to expect. Doing something to make a big splash, or not doing enough due diligence to determine if the player's even going to be a good fit or whether this particular coaching staff can extract the maximum performance from him...

The odds are ten times better if you allocated Cespedes' $100 million across 4-6 players like KW did entering 2005...but Hahn has shown no ability to identify the right second and third tier players.

Abreu is the only outlier. Signing Tanaka or Shark would have been disasters.

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 10:35 PM)
What are you talking about?

Matz doesn't have injury problems. I live in NY metro and I have friends who know his family. That kid can take ALL comers.

Pulling him before 70 pitches is...STUPID.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/03/sports/b...in-lingers.html

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/33106/steven-matz

Look at July 5th on. The max he has ever gone is six.

36 2/3 ip over 7 starts. Then you're not taking into consideration the back issue. And how many starts he missed. And how he was overthrowing because of too much adrenaline and hit a wall.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 10:02 PM)
Bingo. Cubs fans on twitter already comparing it to Buckner.

Didn't catch a replay, but the runner crossing in front of Murphy right before the ball got to him had to have played a role in how that play unfolded. I hate when managers throw their closer for anything other than getting 3 outs in the 9th. While the runners put on by Clippard contributed to a precarious situation that probably had the defense on edge more than they usually would be, I wish he would have either kept him in, or gone to someone other than the closer. Ideally, keeping Matz and the relievers that followed him prior to Clippard would have stayed in a littler longer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/03/sports/b...in-lingers.html

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/33106/steven-matz

Look at July 5th on. The max he has ever gone is six.

36 2/3 ip over 7 starts. Then you're not taking into consideration the back issue.

No. Bulls***.

Mets are stacked with pitchers. There is NOTHING in your posts that show an ounce of support for him being "injured".

And his numbers are disgustingly good...thanks for posting them and proving my point.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 10:46 PM)
Didn't catch a replay, but the runner crossing in front of Murphy right before the ball got to him had to have played a role in how that play unfolded. I hate when managers throw their closer for anything other than getting 3 outs in the 9th. While the runners put on by Clippard contributed to a precarious situation that probably had the defense on edge more than they usually would be, I wish he would have either kept him in, or gone to someone other than the closer. Ideally, keeping Matz and the relievers that followed him prior to Clippard would have stayed in a littler longer.

You've just identified the Achillies' heel of both the Astros and the Mets.

Middle relief. Even with Colon and Niese. Robles could have been extended, arguably. He has really good stuff.

You've just identified the Achillies' heel of both the Astros and the Mets.

Middle relief. Even with Colon and Niese. Robles could have been extended, arguably. He has really good stuff.

Or...you know...Let your AWESOME STARTER keep kicking ass....

Matz getting pulled cost the Mets this game. I will scream it to the mountaintops. There was NO REASON to pull him out.

This IS the WORLD SERIES THREAD...right, Caulfield?

Are the Astros in the World Series?

Fwiw, Yost let Cueto pitch a CG in Game Two and that was also questioned universally and it was his second postseason game giving up two or less runs (with the Oreo white cream filling of disaster in between.)

Yeah..that worked out badly.... (sarcasm)

Cueto...a hired gun who couldn't pitch his way out of a paper bag until....surprise....he was allowed to....pitch.

The Royals are going to win this.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 31, 2015 -> 11:38 PM)
Cespedes OR Frazier (not both) is exactly what we've become conditioned to expect. Doing something to make a big splash, or not doing enough due diligence to determine if the player's even going to be a good fit or whether this particular coaching staff can extract the maximum performance from him...

The odds are ten times better if you allocated Cespedes' $100 million across 4-6 players like KW did entering 2005...but Hahn has shown no ability to identify the right second and third tier players.

Abreu is the only outlier. Signing Tanaka or Shark would have been disasters.

I'm not advocating that we should throw out maximum dollars to entice top tier FA's. It was more a sarcastic comment about the unlikelihood of us being in a World Series, dethrowning KC, with our special blend of "low tisk high reward" signings or 1-2yr stop gap options. What's sad though is they're actually trying to succeed.....which makes seasons such as 2015 all the more pathetic. And KC winning a World Series makes our likely path of second/third tier options all the more pathetic when it'll only marginally improve our team. Maybe with the new WC format we can hope to improve 10 games and atleast be in the hunt, but as you mentioned Minnesota and Twins are better positioned to compete moving forward.

Hahn has a LOT of work to do. It'll definitely be exciting around these parts. Hopefully Hahn turns in a magical offseason where we get a franchise changing trade, key FA signings and a bit if luck. We sure as hell need it