White Sox claim Jacob Turner from Cubs

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 08:48 AM)
With a pitching coach like Cooper around, it's a good idea to grab a handful of reclamation arms each offseason. This is a good one.

Davidson, sure. Smith I think they may still protect - you have to remember how thin the majors are on catching talent. Not just the Sox. And if Smith goes, barring an offseason upgrade at the position (which may happen), your next best bets currently in the org are Nieto (who did poorly in AA) and org guy Jeremy Dowdy who hasn't been a starter most of his pro career. That's frighteningly little depth at the position.

There are lower level catchers who may turn into something later, but only Smith and Nieto could maybe, possibly, step in and not be a complete disaster at this point.

Nieto was already outrighted. He is off of the 40 man roster.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 09:06 AM)
He is still in the minors.

And doing pretty poorly. In A ball.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 09:07 AM)
Nieto was already outrighted. He is off of the 40 man roster.

Yeah, because no one will claim him. But I think in Smith's case, he could be claimed.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 09:10 AM)
And doing pretty poorly. In A ball.

Yeah, because no one will claim him. But I think in Smith's case, he could be claimed.

Northside, do you have the list of guys that will be exposed to Rule 5 if unprotected? Sox are in a position to make a bunch of claims of guys like this. Cubs in particular have a lot of guys Rule 5 eligible. Astros in the same boat.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)
Northside, do you have the list of guys that will be exposed to Rule 5 if unprotected? Sox are in a position to make a bunch of claims of guys like this. Cubs in particular have a lot of guys Rule 5 eligible. Astros in the same boat.

Future Sox may do an article on the Rule V eligible guys. Need to compile the list.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)

The next few years will be interesting. The teams that loaded up internationally are going to start hitting those 40 man roster crunches. The Dodgers are going to be a big one in addition the couple of teams you listed.

There will be chances at the next Jose Quintana out there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 09:35 AM)
The next few years will be interesting. The teams that loaded up internationally are going to start hitting those 40 man roster crunches. The Dodgers are going to be a big one in addition the couple of teams you listed.

There will be chances at the next Jose Quintana out there.

Very good points.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 01:17 PM)
Can't believe he's still so young. My informed Cubs fan friends are both pretty fond of him. Apparently if he didn't get hurt in ST he would have been their #5.

I've had contacts mention the same. I've always liked him. Big time upside. I think he's a major league bullpen piece at minimum. He'd be nasty with just his fastball and off speed pitch.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 27, 2015 -> 09:08 PM)
Great pick up. Low risk, high reward.

Roster at 39 now?

I believe it's 38. Could be wrong, but I had 37 in my mind before this pick-up. Three on that list are pretty certain to be moved: Shark, Beckham, and Webb.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 03:43 PM)
I believe it's 38. Could be wrong, but I had 37 in my mind before this pick-up. Three on that list are pretty certain to be moved: Shark, Beckham, and Webb.

Webb isn't getting removed. There is literally no reason for that to happen. Between free agents, and players that could actually be removed him before this, there is zero chance of that actually happening.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 03:43 PM)

It's in the thread. 40 man stands at 38. Shark, Soto, Albers, and Beckham will be off soon. They could outright someone like Scott Carroll to get it to 33.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 05:41 PM)
Josh Nelson @SSS_joshnelson

So, @jimcallisMLB - do you think Don Cooper and Herm Schneider can fix Jacob Turner?

Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB 8h8 hours ago

We'll see. I do know this, Turner is in good hands with the @WhiteSox and worth a shot.

Hope it works out. Key question is, is he 100%?

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 06:39 PM)
Good move by the Sox taking a chance on him. But I assume a bunch of teams passed on him dropping him down to Sox.

When you've got the best trainer in the league and one of the best pitching coaches, you can afford to take these risks.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 07:50 PM)
How is this guy any different than Kyle Drabek?

We all know how that worked out...

Drabek is still in the organization, and probably has a slight chance of making the team next year. this is a free spring training look at a young guy who was a top prospect not too long ago.

Acquiring guys like these 2 won't work out all the time, but they cost next to nothing and eventually you will hit on one or more.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 07:59 PM)
Drabek is still in the organization, and probably has a slight chance of making the team next year. this is a free spring training look at a young guy who was a top prospect not too long ago.

Acquiring guys like these 2 won't work out all the time, but they cost next to nothing and eventually you will hit on one or more.

Exactly. Doesn't hurt throwing numbers at that spot.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 07:56 PM)
There are plenty of oft-injured or busted pitchers with a nice a pedigree that have bounced back and contributed good value to a team. Just because your most recent comparable didn't set the world on fire doesn't mean the one next one will suck too.

I'm trying to be as optimistic as I can with him as well, but it's kind of naive to think that Coop will magically "fix" him and he'll live up to the potential that he once had.

It could happen, but it's unlikely.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 10:02 PM)
I don't think anyone is penciling him for 33 starts. They're going work with his health, watch him pitch and evaluate. The cost is use of a roster spot. He has a much better ceiling than Drabek, like SS2K said, and he's a couple years younger than Drabek was. You don't have to buy in but at the very least he's low risk with considerable upside. I know Cubs' fans weren't happy about losing him.

Drabek lost his stuff with all the injuries. Turner didn't. Just never finished developing and needs to develop 3rd pitch and get over injuries. I love this move.