Is tipping on the way out?

Jenksismyhero

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)
Oh yea, we would let the tickets pile up for 10-15 minutes to try and get as many going the same way as possible if you knew you were going to the east side of town. Just hope that quantity will get you a little bit for going that way

I remember like it was yesterday the first customer to scream at me for the pizza being wrong, even though it completely matched my ticket. Great introduction into food service.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 01:04 PM)
Sure, in that my employer pays out a bonus on top of my salary/wages. I don't get a bonus from the customers.

I pretty much tip a similar amount, unless someone goes above / sucks. If they suck I give zero tip. On average, probably tip 20%...only for dine in. I do not tip out takeout / carry-out. Delivery I do tip (obviously). I didn't realize that if someone no paid, the driver got stiffed. That seems downright illegal.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 03:07 PM)
I pretty much tip a similar amount, unless someone goes above / sucks. If they suck I give zero tip. On average, probably tip 20%...only for dine in. I do not tip out takeout / carry-out. Delivery I do tip (obviously). I didn't realize that if someone no paid, the driver got stiffed. That seems downright illegal.

There's lots of shady stuff in the food industry.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
I delivered Pizzas in college briefly, this is how it worked for us:

When the order was completed there was a cost associated. The driver then PAID the business for the order and collected from the customer the money back plus gratuity. If you were stiffed, no tip etc, it didnt matter. I was stiffed plenty of times and I ended up paying for that meal. This is pretty common across food delivery. I also made less than min wage there, I want to say 4-5 bucks an hour

A friend of mine delivered pizzas. He always remember who stiffed him. Next time they received a pie, he made a few awkward stops, their pie hit the car floor a couple of times upside down.

I would think the servers would hate this even though they are getting a better wage. I always tip cash. There isn't a server in the world that reports all their tips to the IRS.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 03:07 PM)

As a delivery driver for some restaurants you essentially "buy" the meal from the business and then sell it to the end customer. I am not sure how they get away with it but they do. Credit cards were a little trickier but I know it was similar. Businesses will literally do ANYTHING to avoid taxes and costs, thats why a majority of folks arent even on payroll at bars/restaurants. My wife went 10 years before being on a payroll system.

I honestly thought the delivery charge went to the drivers as well but I never let that change how much I tip regardless. Grubhub very prominently tells you how much each place charges for a delivery fee and its a pretty drastic difference from place to place. There are the places with Sarpinos that deliver until the early am and have 0 delivery charge and then there are some places that will charge $7.99, its pretty crazy. Id imagine a lot of delivery drivers get screwed by people thinking the large delivery costs go directly to them.

As far as tipping bartenders I almost look at it as an investment. Me and my friends had a rotation of about 3-5 bars we went to regularly in our early 20s and it was nice going into a place and having the bartender remember you. Id gladly pay a couple extra bucks for a drink knowing that if even if it is crowded I will always get my drink quickly and my mixed drinks will more than likely be overpoured.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 03:33 PM)
I honestly thought the delivery charge went to the drivers as well but I never let that change how much I tip regardless. Grubhub very prominently tells you how much each place charges for a delivery fee and its a pretty drastic difference from place to place. There are the places with Sarpinos that deliver until the early am and have 0 delivery charge and then there are some places that will charge $7.99, its pretty crazy. Id imagine a lot of delivery drivers get screwed by people thinking the large delivery costs go directly to them.

As far as tipping bartenders I almost look at it as an investment. Me and my friends had a rotation of about 3-5 bars we went to regularly in our early 20s and it was nice going into a place and having the bartender remember you. Id gladly pay a couple extra bucks for a drink knowing that if even if it is crowded I will always get my drink quickly and my mixed drinks will more than likely be overpoured.

That second paragraph is spot on. That's how I viewed my regulars.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 03:14 PM)
A friend of mine delivered pizzas. He always remember who stiffed him. Next time they received a pie, he made a few awkward stops, their pie hit the car floor a couple of times upside down.

I would think the servers would hate this even though they are getting a better wage. I always tip cash. There isn't a server in the world that reports all their tips to the IRS.

One thing I didn't do was f*** with food. You may have gotten your pizza 45 minutes after you ordered it, but it wasn't peeling off the top of the box. Karma is a b****, I didn't want that to happen to me

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 07:03 PM)
One thing I didn't do was f*** with food. You may have gotten your pizza 45 minutes after you ordered it, but it wasn't peeling off the top of the box. Karma is a b****, I didn't want that to happen to me

I'm with you. Never did it. I've mixed drinks poorly but never did them dirty.

At that pizza place however, before I left I found out they had two batches of sauce. Never ate there again after that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 08:17 PM)
I'm with you. Never did it. I've mixed drinks poorly but never did them dirty.

At that pizza place however, before I left I found out they had two batches of sauce. Never ate there again after that.

I saw some other drivers do bogus stuff, cooks too. Just not my thing, if I found out someone did that to me I would freak out.

Customers did some s***ty stuff too though. We had this family order a large and say they found a hair in their pizza and demanded another. Our owner never questioned and always replaced, but we had to retrieve the bad pizza. The driver brought it back and we opened it, there was literally one bite left, and a curly hair in the middle of the box that was obviously from an African American person. There were no African American cooks in our kitchen at that time.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 08:29 PM)
I saw some other drivers do bogus stuff, cooks too. Just not my thing, if I found out someone did that to me I would freak out.

Customers did some s***ty stuff too though. We had this family order a large and say they found a hair in their pizza and demanded another. Our owner never questioned and always replaced, but we had to retrieve the bad pizza. The driver brought it back and we opened it, there was literally one bite left, and a curly hair in the middle of the box that was obviously from an African American person. There were no African American cooks in our kitchen at that time.

Lol. Classic food service s***.

One of the bars I worked at one of the main moves was chipping the glass (we had thin martini glasses) and ask for a free drink. Of course they already drank 99 percent of the martini. I threw away maybe 10 glasses a night on this scam at one place I worked. Also big with wine.

I tip bartenders, waiters, and pizza delivery people. Sometimes I make exceptions in other areas.

I went to Subway a few months ago and got stuck behind 4 landscaper guys. It was raining so they were in there. Subway had one lady working at the time and each guy ordered 2 sandwiches. She was a tad slow but did the best she could. They didn't tip her anything and they had a jar out.

I said that was garbage they didn't tip her. She just shrugged it off. I would've been pissed and remembered those guys.

Ive went and gotten 3 sandwiches for family and I would tip a couple bucks.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 09:18 PM)
I tip bartenders, waiters, and pizza delivery people. Sometimes I make exceptions in other areas.

I went to Subway a few months ago and got stuck behind 4 landscaper guys. It was raining so they were in there. Subway had one lady working at the time and each guy ordered 2 sandwiches. She was a tad slow but did the best she could. They didn't tip her anything and they had a jar out.

I said that was garbage they didn't tip her. She just shrugged it off. I would've been pissed and remembered those guys.

Ive went and gotten 3 sandwiches for family and I would tip a couple bucks.

Worked at Subway one summer on the days I wasnt bartending, never once got a tip with the exception of a guy giving me weed for both the sandwich and tip. (it was probably 30 bucks worth). I hooked that guy up at the bars I worked at for a few years after that including in chicago.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 03:18 AM)
I went to Subway a few months ago and got stuck behind 4 landscaper guys.

I'm kind of weird in this way, but I'm not a "line guy." I usually drive by and peer in and see if there's more than one person in a Subway or Goodcents line. If there's 2 people I don't go in. It's just fast food, albeit damn delicious, and I'll think of another option.

As far more on tipping, when I was in charge of my golf course concession stand as a high school junior and senior (stand was between green No. 9 and tee No. 10) i put out a tip jar.

I'll say this, I made a lot of tips especially on Saturday and Sundays when the course was packed from 7 a.m. til dark, and that money went toward college expenses. Yes as I said before I was privileged in that my dad paid for my college room, board and books. I tried to at least make my own dough for beer, car maintenance, fuel, etc.

Normally whatever somebody ordered, most people would put a quarter or two in my tip bowl, hardly ever a real paper bill, but some change. I would leave about a buck in the jar at all times so as to encourage people to put some coins in it. I'd dump my cash behind the counter where nobody could see it.

Anyhow, a few assholes would comment on me having a tip jar and insult me. I thought that was special, jeezus. Somebody would say, "Begging for money?" I always responded if some f*** criticized me. I would tell them, "Actually it's money going toward my college expenses and you'd be surprised how it adds up." NORMALLY they would say politely, "I was just kidding and they'd put in a coin or two."

To keep my sanity, under my counter I had a notepad and I would count the percentage of people who b****ed about cost of a hotdog, coffee, pop, candy. And the people who b****ed that our cheap owner didn't have any ice available for us to put in the soft drinks. I will say the pop machine blasted out COLD pop, but I can see why somebody would want ice. I faced the brunt of it, the people b****ing. It helped me keep my sanity by having my notepad and checklist about the percentage of people who b****ed.

I agree with the poster who said everybody should have a job as a kid dealing with people. It really teaches you to be polite. All the assholes who said, "GIMME a hot dog" or "GIMME a beer" acting as if I was a peon ... it taught me to be nice to those who wait on me.

Invaluable lesson. AND WE GOT TO GOLF FOR FREE at any time believe it or not. That was AWESOME. That made it tolerable.

One of my favorite things about traveling through Europe this summer was not having to leave tips. I never noticed a lack of service (in relative terms, Europe is different) because of it. In fact, not having one devoted server and instead being helped by whoever was available was convenient. We'd still leave a couple Euros when we felt the service was good, but it was definitely nice not having that 20% obligation at the end of the meal.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 09:25 AM)
All the more reason to get rid of tipping playing any role in their compensation. I remember American Life did a podcast on whether attitude/attentiveness changed the amount of the tip. They deliberately had the waiter be super flirty, nice, attentive, etc. and then they had them act the opposite. Not rude, but basically take the order, bring the food. That's it. And while it was only a few servers in one day at one restaurant, they found that how nice/attentive they were didn't mean anything. People are going to tip you how they're going to tip you. If you're a person that tips 15%, you could have the nicest experience ever and the server is still getting 15%.

I hate all of it. Giving a pizza delivery guy a few bucks? Why? I paid a delivery fee. Why am I paying a waiter/waitress $40 bucks at a nice place for the same work that I pay someone $10 at a regular place? That sort of crap drives me nuts.

You pay a delivery fee because you're being provide a service. Delivery is an incredible luxury. It's a shame people don't appreciate it.

I don't think people understand how small of margins restaurants run under. Even very successful restaurants aren't raking in cash like people assume. That's why servers aren't paid much.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Nov 13, 2015 -> 03:40 PM)
You pay a delivery fee because you're being provide a service. Delivery is an incredible luxury. It's a shame people don't appreciate it.

I don't think people understand how small of margins restaurants run under. Even very successful restaurants aren't raking in cash like people assume. That's why servers aren't paid much.

The delivery fee was started by the national chains.

Is it? I think it's a nice option. I wouldn't call it a luxury.

Counterpoint:

johnschnatter4.bmp