Jeff Samardjiza signs with SF Giants, 5/90.

southsider2k5

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 08:33 PM)
Phil Rogers ‏@philgrogers 32m32 minutes ago

Theo Epstein and Jeff Samardzija hanging together tonight in Chicago. Cubs have an interest in him. #HotStove #Cubs

Man imagine the fury on this board if Jeff goes back to the Cubs and has a great season.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (kevo880 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
Jayson Stark Verified account

‏@jaysonst

Forget the theory that Jeff Samardzija will be the bargain of the offseason. Teams talking with him say he's claiming to have $100M on table

$100M for him??? JFC, that's gonna come back to haunt them.

"The representatives of free agent righty Jeff Samardzija are telling teams that the hurler already has at least one $100MM offer on the table, Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports on Twitter. Needless to say, that’s a huge number for a pitcher coming off a down year, but speaks to his popularity among scouts and executives."

Per MLBTR

:lol:

I'll take a guess and say SF made the offer. Anyone else care to guess?

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 07:15 PM)
Jayson Stark Verified account

‏@jaysonst

Forget the theory that Jeff Samardzija will be the bargain of the offseason. Teams talking with him say he's claiming to have $100M on table

for how many yrs.... i would like to know that.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 07:18 PM)
"The representatives of free agent righty Jeff Samardzija are telling teams that the hurler already has at least one $100MM offer on the table, Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports on Twitter. Needless to say, that’s a huge number for a pitcher coming off a down year, but speaks to his popularity among scouts and executives."

Per MLBTR

:lol:

I'll take a guess and say SF made the offer. Anyone else care to guess?

not in any particular order,

Arz, sCrubs, Stl, Sfo

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 01:16 PM)
Guaranteed he's taking his @SS back to the NL

That is the only place that he might succeed in IMO. If an AL team decides to give him over 100M the second he signs with them is the second that team made a huge mistake.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 08:22 PM)
I really hope he does. That can only be good for the Sox if they decide to put Quintana on the market.

that is looking at the big picture.

you have cueto, then the other tier sp's like shark etc....

so when cueto and shark sign, if the team will unload Q for the best price, that will be the time.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
I really hope he does. That can only be good for the Sox if they decide to put Quintana on the market.

I get really nervous about trading Q for offense or MLB ready prospects. I love the idea of it, but if it doesn't work out then it is going to set us back for years.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)
I get really nervous about trading Q for offense or MLB ready prospects. I love the idea of it, but if it doesn't work out then it is going to set us back for years.

Where is it going to set us back to? The problem is that we are already in that spot. Yes it is scary to trade your proven commodities for unknowns which is why you need to get more value in return then you are giving up, but unless this org makes some bold moves the team is going to be stuck in 3-4 place in the division for the rest of the time we have Abreu, Q, and Sale under contract.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 08:31 PM)
Where is it going to set us back to? The problem is that we are already in that spot. Yes it is scary to trade your proven commodities for unknowns which is why you need to get more value in return then you are giving up, but unless this org makes some bold moves the team is going to be stuck in 3-4 place in the division for the rest of the time we have Abreu, Q, and Sale under contract.

if they don't the team may even take longer to improve themselves.

imho, they have no choice, they have to take that gamble... ok, maybe not the far fetch ideas that i have spouted on, but more conservatives and go to real mlb players who are young and cost control. they need that influx of several mlb players to help this team that is just drifting... floating with any paddle or leadership.

that is why i am more acceptance of hahn doing this fix instead of kw.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)

I hear you, and I'm not saying I don't want them to. He is just so valuable that I don't see how we could get a return that is worth it. Everyone knows the league is getting younger and younger so teams are more reluctant to give up a lot of their top prospects for proven veterans. I hope I am proven wrong.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 01:41 PM)
I hear you, and I'm not saying I don't want them to. He is just so valuable that I don't see how we could get a return that is worth it. Everyone knows the league is getting younger and younger so teams are more reluctant to give up a lot of their top prospects for proven veterans. I hope I am proven wrong.

I hope so too, I see what the Red Sox just gave up for a closer and that makes me feel like the market is in place to capitalize on Q's value.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)
As badly as we need a third baseman I would hate to see a deal of Quinatana for Frasier, even if there were more pieces involved.

Agree, I don't care for Frazier much. He had a hot streak, but is sub standard defensively and outside of getting hot, is not much more than an average bat.