why not go for Brett lawrie?

Knackattack

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
Wow. That's actually true.

Green sox hero worships prospects. His ideal team would be 25 guys making minimum, moved ou the next year because they would be due a raise.

He still says trading for Freddy Garcia was stupid, even though it worked out in the form of a championship, and he ignores the Sox traded him for Gio and Floyd.

I think Brett Lawrie should be considered a target if he can be had at a price that reflects his risk.

If he didn't have warts, he wouldn't be available in the first place. For those that feel the Sox are in a payroll bind while also pot-committed, the only way to make up the talent gap cheaply is to gamble on some upside.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 06:02 PM)
Green sox hero worships prospects. His ideal team would be 25 guys making minimum, moved ou the next year because they would be due a raise.

He still says trading for Freddy Garcia was stupid, even though it worked out in the form of a championship, and he ignores the Sox traded him for Gio and Floyd.

lol none of the guys we dealt away in that trade really amounted to much (Morse broke out in his upper-20s with a different team so he likely would have been dfa'd or released or whatever with us at some point as well).

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 06:07 PM)
lol none of the guys we dealt away in that trade really amounted to much (Morse broke out in his upper-20s with a different team so he likely would have been dfa'd or released or whatever with us at some point as well).

Even the Swisher trade, Gio turned out well,but the others were nothing, and Gio had plenty of detractors on this board. Swisher wasn't that awful for the White Sox. He still hit some homers and got on base. He certainly wasn't what he was right before or right after, but it was a decent gamble. That was back in the day when the Sox had an offense.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 06:09 PM)
Even the Swisher trade, Gio turned out well,but the others were nothing, and Gio had plenty of detractors on this board.

Honestly, most of the trades the Sox have made where they dealt away prospects, they haven't really turned into anything (besides Gio). Other ones that have made an impact in the MLB that come to mind are Chris Young (the OF one) and Chris Carter. Even in the Peavy deal when we traded like 4 prospects away, the best guy is a fringe long reliever at this point.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 07:11 PM)
Honestly, most of the trades the Sox have made where they dealt away prospects, they haven't really turned into anything (besides Gio). Other ones that have made an impact in the MLB that come to mind are Chris Young (the OF one) and Chris Carter. Even in the Peavy deal when we traded like 4 prospects away, the best guy is a fringe long reliever at this point.

I think that should be a pretty telling sign that the real problem with this organization and developing talent in the past starts with actually picking the talent and not developing it. Not that the developing part has gone swimmingly either, but it gets a lot harder to develop talent when the talent is flawed from the beginning.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 07:06 PM)
I think that should be a pretty telling sign that the real problem with this organization and developing talent in the past starts with actually picking the talent and not developing it. Not that the developing part has gone swimmingly either, but it gets a lot harder to develop talent when the talent is flawed from the beginning.

Yeah...the hitting side hasn't been too pretty but they've been good with arms lately. So they probably keep going that route.

As of right now, I believe we have pick 10, 33 and 54 as our first 3 picks.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 07:06 PM)

Well said and absolutely agree. I give the Sox credit for making changes within the organization to help out with scouting/drafting/development and it would seem there is some hitting talent beginning to filter up through the minors, slowly but it seems on the rise. Time will tell.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 01:06 AM)

but you are missing an important ingredient, as long as it fits in a miserly budget that is called the sox payroll.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 07:25 PM)
but you are missing an important ingredient, as long as it fits in a miserly budget that is called the sox payroll.

Sorry my man but I have to stick up for the Sox on this one and point a few things out. 1- they spent last winter and things didn't go well but they did show an effort to improve some areas so that gives me some faith they will continue to improve. 2- we don't know what the budget has been set at. 3- the crosstown rivals are looking at a budget in the 130-140M range which is just a tick more than where the Sox could end up. When comparing their respective attendances, that's kind of surprising to see the two budgets that close. It wasn't long ago the Sox were up to 128M so don't lose hope yet. ;)

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 02:37 AM)
Sorry my man but I have to stick up for the Sox on this one and point a few things out. 1- they spent last winter and things didn't go well but they did show an effort to improve some areas so that gives me some faith they will continue to improve. 2- we don't know what the budget has been set at. 3- the crosstown rivals are looking at a budget in the 130-140M range which is just a tick more than where the Sox could end up. When comparing their respective attendances, that's kind of surprising to see the two budgets that close. It wasn't long ago the Sox were up to 128M so don't lose hope yet. ;)

you are looking at the lite at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.

last yr, money was spent and i was happy, but i really wanted another pitcher. but either way, they didn't spend and it was a lousy season. the 2 were not related.

the crosstown team is at 110 and looking to increase their payroll as you said to 130-140. i think they will hit the 150 range. now for me, i do not follow them so i wouldn't know if they are solvent at 130-150.

and i am not comparing them against each other on this whole thing. i am talking and i will be more precise, the payroll before last yr was set and etc.... i will not go into that whole thing. suffice it to say, all during the time the sox had a strict budget.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 03:02 AM)

last yr, money was spent and i was happy, but i really wanted another pitcher. but either way, they didn't spend and it was a lousy season. the 2 were not related.

the crosstown team is at 110 and looking to increase their payroll as you said to 130-140. i think they will hit the 150 range. now for me, i do not follow them so i wouldn't know if they are solvent at 130-150.

and i am not comparing them against each other on this whole thing. i am talking and i will be more precise, the payroll before last yr was set and etc.... i will not go into that whole thing. suffice it to say, all during the time the sox had a strict budget.

you know.... you really got my goat.... i wounded up writing gibberish... i really do not know what in hell was the point i was going for. dang.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 08:02 PM)

But they did spend. Robertson, Melky,LaRoche, Duke and added Samardzija's 9.8M to the payroll so they did spend plenty. They probably didn't add another pitcher because they had been anticipating Rodon joining the team at some point, which he did.

The point in all this is that the Sox have showed they are willing to spend and make an effort. It could be much worse, we could be Marlin fans!

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 08:06 PM)
you know.... you really got my goat.... i wounded up writing gibberish... i really do not know what in hell was the point i was going for. dang.

Relax, have a drink on me. We have plenty of time left in the off season to get the team pointed in the right direction. I still have faith in Hahn.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 02:14 AM)
Relax, have a drink on me. We have plenty of time left in the off season to get the team pointed in the right direction. I still have faith in Hahn.

i wasn't angry, i just got confuse.... my mind, what little there was, was spinning with all sorts of counters.

i just left to get some rest and now i am back.

i still don't know what my point was.

but i am with you, i too have faith in Hahn and that is if the powers to be would not handicap him. so may ways to go right now. but i really do not want to so to sign upton. i understand if they do, but a waste of money. be creative and make some trades.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 09:10 PM)
i wasn't angry, i just got confuse.... my mind, what little there was, was spinning with all sorts of counters.

i just left to get some rest and now i am back.

i still don't know what my point was.

but i am with you, i too have faith in Hahn and that is if the powers to be would not handicap him. so may ways to go right now. but i really do not want to so to sign upton. i understand if they do, but a waste of money. be creative and make some trades.

I really don't think the Sox will sign Upton. Too costly in salary for what the Sox have to spend. Maybe I've just got my hopes up but a trade for Lawrie just sounds like a move the Sox would make. I mean that in a good way.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 02:12 AM)
But they did spend. Robertson, Melky,LaRoche, Duke and added Samardzija's 9.8M to the payroll so they did spend plenty. They probably didn't add another pitcher because they had been anticipating Rodon joining the team at some point, which he did.

The point in all this is that the Sox have showed they are willing to spend and make an effort. It could be much worse, we could be Marlin fans!

but they also failed in hector sucking big time. that did not help.

last yr was just a nightmare.

but spending 120 mil and i am talking about spending 150 mil. that would be them on the cusp of their profit, according to what i have been able to pencil together. but that is for another time.

but for this discussion, this will put them in the red.... for 1 yr .... 28 mil comes off and now its 122. and the team would have done wonders in piecing the team they can live or want.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 09:18 PM)
but they also failed in hector sucking big time. that did not help.

last yr was just a nightmare.

but spending 120 mil and i am talking about spending 150 mil. that would be them on the cusp of their profit, according to what i have been able to pencil together. but that is for another time.

but for this discussion, this will put them in the red.... for 1 yr .... 28 mil comes off and now its 122. and the team would have done wonders in piecing the team they can live or want.

Every team takes gambles that don't work out. One way to look at it is by Noesi being so bad, he opened the door for Rodon. If the Sox had signed a FA pitcher last winter, Rodon might not have gotten the opportunity when he did not have accumulated the innings or MLB experience. Sometimes s*** just works itself out.

I'm going to leave this part alone now just because the conversation is teetering on the brink of how much we may or may not think the Sox had or have to spend. I don't know so its better if I stay away from the speculation on White Sox finances and stick with what is known. I prefer to stay focused on what they will do to help the team going forward, not where they have gone wrong. :)

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 04:26 AM)
Every team takes gambles that don't work out. One way to look at it is by Noesi being so bad, he opened the door for Rodon. If the Sox had signed a FA pitcher last winter, Rodon might not have gotten the opportunity when he did not have accumulated the innings or MLB experience. Sometimes s*** just works itself out.

I'm going to leave this part alone now just because the conversation is teetering on the brink of how much we may or may not think the Sox had or have to spend. I don't know so its better if I stay away from the speculation on White Sox finances and stick with what is known. I prefer to stay focused on what they will do to help the team going forward, not where they have gone wrong. :)

kool with me,

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
I think Brett Lawrie should be considered a target if he can be had at a price that reflects his risk.

If he didn't have warts, he wouldn't be available in the first place. For those that feel the Sox are in a payroll bind while also pot-committed, the only way to make up the talent gap cheaply is to gamble on some upside.

Which is what I've been saying all along. That includes upside in their own players regardless that many fans have all of them pegged as utility players.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 07:09 AM)
If you want to get technical, they've only had 5 playoff appearances in the last 56 seasons.

Wow...and when I started getting into baseball hardcore the year was like 2000/2001 (I was born in 91). So I've seen them in the playoffs three times in 15 years which I thought was/is bad. 5 in 56 is just embarassing.

It helps that we snuck in that World Series win in 05 though.

Edited by soxfan2014

The real shame is that our asleep at the wheel front office failed to anticipate the release of Valencia from the Blue Jays last summer. He would have been a serviceable stop gap for 2 years until Michalczewski was ready (assuming he realizes his potential - eye roll, I know). Instead we will likely overpay for Lawrie or spend our limited budget on Freese. Either way, this team continues to tread water and get lapped by others in its own division, while wasting it's few upper tier talents.