why not go for Brett lawrie?

Knackattack

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 06:39 AM)
Indians and Tigers are rumored to have interest in Lawrie as well.

Trading Lawrie is looking more like a classic Billy move where the A's get more than expected. I'm starting to wonder about this...

Addison Russell and Josh Donaldson.

Beane turned that into Marcus Semien and Danny Valencia.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 06:42 AM)

Are you really going to ignore the moves where Billy got surplus value? Come on.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 06:42 AM)
Aim for Reddick as well and sweeten the deal.

Adding Reddick will cost the Sox alot more. I'd love to have Reddick but over the summer supposedly Billy told Reddick he wasn't going anywhere so now where looking at over paying for Reddick to pry him away from Oakland.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 06:52 AM)
Are you really going to ignore the moves where Billy got surplus value? Come on.

Adding Reddick will cost the Sox alot more. I'd love to have Reddick but over the summer supposedly Billy told Reddick he wasn't going anywhere so now where looking at over paying for Reddick to pry him away from Oakland.

Reddick only has one year of control I believe and Beanies pretty random. Though I'd think they'd probably get a better deal from another team than from us.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 06:52 AM)

You are ignoring the moves where he did not. All I am saying is being afraid to trade with Beane because you think he knows better would have cost teams a couple of studs in recent times.

Lawrie's price won't be high, certainly not as high as the price Beane paid to get him.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 06:55 AM)
Reddick only has one year of control I believe and Beanies pretty random. Though I'd think they'd probably get a better deal from another team than from us.

One year of control left is a good reason not to trade for Reddick. I'm just not a fan of one year rentals.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 06:57 AM)
You are ignoring the moves where he did not. All I am saying is being afraid to trade with Beane because you think he knows better would have cost teams a couple of studs in recent times.

Lawrie's price won't be high, certainly not as high as the price Beane paid to get him.

Lawrie's price might not be high initially but if other teams come in to play and especially division rivals, the price will go up. Beane is not stupid by any means.

Oh, and trading Russell helped get the A's into the playoffs and later gave the A's 3 useful MLB players while they rebuild and a young minor leaguers with high OBP potential. Jury is still out on that move.

As for Donaldson, I'd say the A's lost that trade but Oakland did need the starting pitching so it makes some sense although I think they surely could have done better.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 07:08 AM)
One year of control left is a good reason not to trade for Reddick. I'm just not a fan of one year rentals.

Lawrie's price might not be high initially but if other teams come in to play and especially division rivals, the price will go up. Beane is not stupid by any means.

Oh, and trading Russell helped get the A's into the playoffs and later gave the A's 3 useful MLB players while they rebuild and a young minor leaguers with high OBP potential. Jury is still out on that move.

As for Donaldson, I'd say the A's lost that trade but Oakland did need the starting pitching so it makes some sense although I think they surely could have done better.

The A's played one playoff game and Samardzija didn't pitch. There is no way the White Sox package of players could be traded for Addison Russell. Beane gambled big time and lost. He cut his losses a bit on that trade, but still lost by a lot. If Rick Hahn made that move and it turned out exactly like it did, KW would be getting blasted for it forever.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 07:13 AM)
The A's played one playoff game and Samardzija didn't pitch. There is no way the White Sox package of players could be traded for Addison Russell. Beane gambled big time and lost. He cut his losses a bit on that trade, but still lost by a lot. If Rick Hahn made that move and it turned out exactly like it did, KW would be getting blasted for it forever.

But Samardzija helped get the A's to that one game playoff which was why Oakland made the trade in the first place. They needed pitching for the playoff run and got it.

Anyway, back to Lawrie. Given the shortage of third baseman and the amount of teams looking for third baseman I think it's very possible the cost for Lawrie will go up and especially if it's three division rivals bidding.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 06:42 AM)

Josh Donaldson turned into 4 players including Brett Lawrie. If they trade him for say 3 prospects or so then that's 6 prospects for Donaldson they would never be able afford

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 07:37 AM)
Josh Donaldson turned into 4 players including Brett Lawrie. If they trade him for say 3 prospects or so then that's 6 prospects for Donaldson they would never be able afford

Donaldson.made $4.3 million his MVP year, and won't be a free agent for 3 more seasons. Try again.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 07:41 AM)
Donaldson.made $4.3 million his MVP year, and won't be a free agent for 3 more seasons. Try again.

Yeah and they sold way low. It was such a weird move. Lawrie and a couple back end starters. I believe they got a solid infield prospect as well but Donaldson just won the MVP. I know it's in hindsight but Addison Russell and Josh Donaldson would be a nice left side of the infield for a couple years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 07:41 AM)

Well he's going to get more expensive through arbitration and they were mostly likely going never going sign him to an extension. That 4.3 million is a 3.8 million increase from previous year. A's saved the growing increase in arbitration and get prospects back. How about you try it again

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 04:39 AM)
Indians and Tigers are rumored to have interest in Lawrie as well.

Trading Lawrie is looking more like a classic Billy move where the A's get more than expected. I'm starting to wonder about this...

Eh, we knew other teams would be interested in him since the 3B market sucks . Doesn't make a big difference who else wants him . How bad is Lonnie Chisenhall at 3rd base ? He must be pretty bad since he plays a lot of RF . I've always liked his bat . Indians need OF's so maybe Chisenhall becomes available but his glove may not be suitable.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 03:03 PM)
Eh, we knew other teams would be interested in him since the 3B market sucks . Doesm't make a big difference who else wants him . How bad is Lonnie Chisenhall at 3rd base. He must be pretty bad since he plays a lot of RF . I've always liked his bat . Indians need OF's so maybe Chisenhall becomes available but his glove may not be suitable.

I remember reading somewhere that Lonnie was incredible defensively in the OF

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 07:59 AM)
Well he's going to get more expensive through arbitration and they were mostly likely going never going sign him to an extension. That 4.3 million is a 3.8 million increase from previous year. A's saved the growing increase in arbitration and get prospects back. How about you try it again

LMAO. An MVP 3rd baseman making $4.3 million. Getting paid less than Zach Duke, and you think what they received for him was a decent haul? 2 mediocre pitchers, an 19 year old who hasn't hit the U.S. yet and a guy they are trying to sell low. Also remember you have to pay the players you receive in a trade.

It was ultimately an awful return. A horrible trade. If the White Sox did that you would be calling for heads to roll.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 08:06 AM)
LMAO. An MVP 3rd baseman making $4.3 million. Getting paid less than Zach Duke, and you think what they received for him was a decent haul? 2 mediocre pitchers, an 19 year old who hasn't hit the U.S. yet and a guy they are trying to sell low. Also remember you have to pay the players you receive in a trade.

It was ultimately an awful return. A horrible trade. If the White Sox did that you would be calling for heads to roll.

Yes and Donaldson is going to be getting over 10 million next year. A's can't afford that. Do you have a crystal ball to know how the prospect are going to turn out. Again they are probably going to trade Lawrie which now turns into more prospects for Donaldson. Sox made at stupid trade for shark. Traded 4 players for one year rental which was a bad overall deal plus if they magical sign a player with QO then they get nothing for shark.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)
Yes and Donaldson is going to be getting over 10 million next year. A's can't afford that. Do you have a crystal ball to know how the prospect are going to turn out. Again they are probably going to trade Lawrie which now turns into more prospects for Donaldson. Sox made at stupid trade for shark. Traded 4 players for one year rental which was a bad overall deal plus if they magical sign a player with QO then they get nothing for shark.

If Beane would have kept Donaldson, he could get a lot better prospects today, if prospects are your thing. Beane also traded a top 5 in baseball prospect for Shark. So if the Sox were stupid, what was he?

He ultimately got a bunch of meddling guys for a top 5 in baseball prospect SS and an MVP 3B making Zach Duke money. Yeah, he is a genius alright. Be afraid to trade with Billy Beane. Be very afraid.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 08:08 AM)
To me Avi for Lawrie makes a lot of sense. Maybe we have throw in a pitching prospect too, but shouldn't have to be anyone in our top 10. Beck would probably be ideal, but maybe a guy like wheeler, jaye, or Lowry.

Jaye was left off the 40-man correct? He'd probably be a guy to include since it's likely he could go in the rule 5 draft Thursday.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)

Just stop, the A's just gave a 35 year old reliever over $7M/year, they easily could have found a way to afford Donaldson.

It was horrible trade at the time (short of a Lawrie breakout) and it remains a horrible trade in hindsight.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 08:17 AM)
If Beane would have kept Donaldson, he could get a lot better prospects today, if prospects are your thing. Beane also traded a top 5 in baseball prospect for Shark. So if the Sox were stupid, what was he?

He ultimately got a bunch of meddling guys for a top 5 in baseball prospect SS and an MVP 3B making Zach Duke money. Yeah, he is a genius alright. Be afraid to trade with Billy Beane. Be very afraid.

And yet he's had the A's in the playoffs 3 times in the last 5 years. Sox were "rebuilding" but that's because they didn't hame much of a minor leagues to fix issues. Billy Beane trades off parts to aquire as much talent as possible. Some might not be anything but he does get some to work which is more then the sox have at the point.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)
And yet he's had the A's in the playoffs 3 times in the last 5 years. Sox were "rebuilding" but that's because they didn't hame much of a minor leagues to fix issues. Billy Beane trades off parts to aquire as much talent as possible. Some might not be anything but he does get some to work which is more then the sox have at the point.

He traded his 2 best trading chips and got zero impact back. The A's are going to be bad for a while.