Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 10:37 PM)
I completely agree it would be a disappointment, but Hahn and company have never once mentioned an interest in Cespedes or Upton.

But, they really shouldn't have too. It was the next logical step, and everyone seems to agree or else it wouldn't have been talked about so much in the media or even here at Soxtalk. And when a team says "we are still searching all avenues to improve this offense and do all we can do to reach our ultimate goal of winning a championship", one would think getting one of the big 3 (especially when there is such a big need) would have been the thing to do. And not to do it, especially when some of the BIG, BIG spenders were completely out of the market, and as 2nd tier free agents like Span, etc. go elsewhere, it is very disheartening. Long story short, is that they don't want to spend the money. They really never do. And how they can pass up the opportunity to surround our fantastic cost controlled pitching with a STRONG offense...I will never know. Honestly, there is no excuse.

Edited by soxfan85

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 11:37 PM)
I completely agree it would be a disappointment, but Hahn and company have never once mentioned an interest in Cespedes or Upton.

I don't need to hear them say they do. But with below average talent inhabiting both left and right field, and with a farm system currently lacking in depth to acquire via trade the type of talent comparable to either Cespedes or Upton, then we need to be acquiring one of them in this particular market, no excuses. Again, only if Hahn and Kenny are to be taken seriously when they say they want to "maximize" their opportunity to win with the current core in place. At this point, only Cespedes and Upton represent the opportunity to enhance a big weakness in the lineup without drawing from other talent on the roster or farm system. It really is a no-brainer, particularly with relatively no competition in the marketplace.

I happen to think they will get it done, but until it does, I will be cautious in my optimism, given the lingering memory of the Angels coming in out of nowhere at the last minute to snatch Torii Hunter from us.

But none of the big three outfielders are/were perfect fits. They need a RF, and Upton is only one that plays that. Given everyone's concern about his energy on the field and the chance he wants nothing to do with Chicago, he was the least likely of the three. Cespedes has no ties to the Sox outside of Abreu while having way more ties to the Tigers and Mets

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 08:47 PM)
But none of the big three outfielders are/were perfect fits. They need a RF, and Upton is only one that plays that. Given everyone's concern about his energy on the field and the chance he wants nothing to do with Chicago, he was the least likely of the three. Cespedes has no ties to the Sox outside of Abreu while having way more ties to the Tigers and Mets

Last I checked, this was a pretty damn bad team last year. 11th worst, IIRC.

You improve where you can & if you can improve in such a way like you can with a guy like Cespedes, you find a way to get it done. It's that simple for me.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 10:47 PM)

Valid points...however, he is not a perfect fit for any of the other interested teams. However, they will find a way to make it work, and they will spend the money. It looks as if we are not willing to do either. And it is just disappointing. The same old song and dance every offseason, unfortunately.

I mean say you dont add anyone and the lineup has Garcia in it. If Lawrie isnt hitting the bottom of that lineup is one huge black hole. Atleast there's some hope for the catcher platoon. Even if Lawrie is hitting that lineup still doesnt look good at the bottom.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 04:52 AM)
Valid points...however, he is not a perfect fit for any of the other interested teams. However, they will find a way to make it work, and they will spend the money. It looks as if we are not willing to do either. And it is just disappointing. The same old song and dance every offseason, unfortunately.

Cespedes is a perfect fit for Tigers in LF

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 10:47 PM)
Cespedes has no ties to the Sox outside of Abreu while having way more ties to the Tigers and Mets

I agree with the points you've been making aside from this one. Since when are "ties" such a huge factor in FA decisions? Did David Robertson have ties to the White Sox before he signed with us? Did Melky? Avila? Navarro?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 11:56 PM)
No the Sox would then have to put Melky in RF. Tigers already set in CF and RF

For me, Melky goes to DH and Hahn continues to work on an upgrade in RF. If he can't find that upgrade, then Melky can't do any worse defensively in RF than Avi, and meanwhile, we added last year's LF Gold Glove winner in left AND his bat in the heart of our order. Again, Cespedes is a NO-BRAINER. He makes sense on every level.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 11:00 PM)
I think Melky in RF would be so bad defensively (maybe even worse than Garcia) that we'd end up moving him to DH, putting Shuck/somebody else in RF, and benching LaRoche.

I am fine with that. LaRoche is a sunk cost anyway.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 11:45 PM)
This lineup looks ok:

Eaton

Cabrera

Abreu

Frazier

LaRoche

Lawrie

Garcia

Avila/Navarro

Saladino

But this lineup looks incredible:

Eaton

Cabrera

Abreu

Cespedes

Frazier

LaRoche/Garcia

Lawrie

Avila/Navarro

Saladino

The top lineup looks weak.

The bottom lineup looks decent.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 05:58 AM)
I agree with the points you've been making aside from this one. Since when are "ties" such a huge factor in FA decisions? Did David Robertson have ties to the White Sox before he signed with us? Did Melky? Avila? Navarro?

My point was solely in response to those the last few weeks that thought Cespedes would sign here to team up with his friend Abreu.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 05:00 AM)
For me, Melky goes to DH and Hahn continues to work on an upgrade in RF. If he can't find that upgrade, then Melky can't do any worse defensively in RF than Avi, and meanwhile, we added last year's LF Gold Glove winner in left AND his bat in the heart of our order. Again, Cespedes is a NO-BRAINER. He makes sense on every level.

With what resources? They'd already be way over the budget for 2016 with nothing left in the farm outside the big 3.