Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 08:56 PM)
Something so many disregard is Hahn saying they would have to get creative for upgrades, yet they expect 100 million dollar commitment to be an easy thing to sign off. Honestly even Desmond and Jackson is probably too expensive.

A $100M commitment would be over 5 or 6 years, we're talking about $20M outflow this year. That may or may not be a problem for 2016, but it wouldn't be a problem afterwards when Danks & LaRoche are off the payroll.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 09:20 PM)
I hate the Shark possible contract as proof they have money. The amount might be true, but there is no proof they wouldn't have had to move some salaries in order to make it fit. The Shark deal was also when they expected 2015 to be a success and likely strong 2016 ticket sales.

So then we're back to Hahn's original statements about Tanaka...young/ace in prime of his career but definitely not cost-controlled.

What's the difference between him and Upton, for example?

Because Upton is 29 and Tanaka was 25-26? Because Upton, like Cespedes, like Gordon, like Chris Davis...is a very good player, maybe even great, but certainly not a superstar?

I just find it interesting that there has been zero smoke there. Maybe it's simply the fact that Upton prefers to stay in the NL or just doesn't see the White Sox as a good fit, who knows.

Just leaves a lot less margin for error when you're 15-30% behind the Royals and Tigers in terms of payroll. It used to just be the Tigers.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 09:07 PM)
At this point, I would gladly "settle" for someone like Fowler & a guy like Lincecum to compete & spring training.

I'm just going to keep my expectations low at this point, so that way if they do something small or nothing at all, I'm not over-the-moon pissed off.

I've been doing the same myself. Expect less but still have a bit of hope for more. This is why I've been looking at alternatives like Brett Gardner and Nick Markakis, sad isn't it? :lol:

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 07:25 PM)
I'm almost to the point where it's "to hell with it, roll the dice with Avi/LaRoche/Saladino" and see what happens, hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

On one hand, it looks like the Royals are taking a step or two back...and Cleveland still has issues with RF/3B/Brantley's health and payroll limits. There's also a chance the young players with the Twins all make impacts (Buxton's healthy and Berrios makes the Opening Day rotation, although it's more likely he is in the minors for 2-3 more months at least) more quickly than anticipated.

How much of a difference will having Fowler really make? Is it worth the draft pick? What will the trade market look in June/July, compared to now? Do you really want to commit to $45 million and 3 years? How will he respond to a guaranteed contract?

If the White Sox are just kind of floating along at around .500 and 3-5 games back (or more), there's definitely not going to be an attendance bump of any kind...even looking back at 2012, when we added Liriano/Myers/Youk it seems the impact/momentum lasted about 3 weeks and then fell off dramatically with Youk's health and Liriano's fall out of the rotation.

I think it would be the Sox thing to stand pat & if history has shown us anything, it's that it will get them to mediocrity if they are lucky.

Fowler at his career average is probably worth about 2 wins to a team like the Sox right now but changes the entire dynamic of the lineup & gives the team much more speed. Personally, I think people are overrating the pick, but that's just my opinion.

Lastly, attendance is such a small cog in the grand scheme of things. Maybe it doesn't bring many more people to the park but the TV deals are where they make their money & you best believe more fans would be watching.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 07:33 PM)
I've been doing the same myself. Expect less but still have a bit of hope for more. This is why I've been looking at alternatives like Brett Gardner and Nick Markakis, sad isn't it? :lol:

I've seen Markakis' name a few times & it sends me into a pissed off rage just thinking that they would think that is the fix.

Realistically, I'm just expecting their roster not to change before ST starts & I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does.

It's time like this when I remember how much I can hate this team sometimes.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 09:39 PM)
The Sox have three prospects worth anything and no depth at the MLB level. Good luck acquiring an impact player with those resources.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

In many ways, the future of this franchise and the ability to compete is resting almost completely on the shoulders of Anderson, Fulmer, and, to a much lesser extent, Adams.

If we have any type of setback (performance or injury-wise) with those two, it would be hard to envision exactly where they're going for impact players other than Cuba or the Asian markets (more Korea than Japan for position players recently).

Even then, winning bidding wars for Japanese starters has turned out to be a fool's game, with the exception of Darvish, and he still has to prove he's the same pitcher he was before TJ.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 05:00 AM)
Hahn is too busy kicking rocks right now to worry about our division rival getting a really good OFer.

Concern for me if the Tigers get Cespedes (or Upton) is that gives the AL Central two teams that have completely sold out for the next two seasons. Makes Hahn's job even tougher.

And the Tigers are going to get him too. It is coming. Must be nice...but of course, it is all our fault because we don't attend the games. My only hope is that the White Sox silence lately actually may mean something positive. I really, really don't understand the direction of this team. I look around the league, and other teams, even the Marlins for goodness sake, are willing to sign big name free agents. Why not us? Why not ever us? Especially when we are soooo darn close in such a wide open winnable division? Seriously, what is the with our FO? I really can't wait until Reinsdorf and our ownership group are out the door. I really can't wait.

Edited by soxfan85

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 10:39 PM)
The Sox have three prospects worth anything and no depth at the MLB level. Good luck acquiring an impact player with those resources.

Which is why Cespedes is the guy to get right now, even if there has to be an overpay. If Hahn and Kenny are serious when they say they want to "maximize" the window of opportunity to compete with Sale & Abreu in tact, and with the team currently featuring below-average talent in both left and right, and no answer coming up through the system, then who else? Who else best helps this team "maximize" it's ability to return to the postseason that's as easily as attainable at this point as Cespedes? The team doesn't have to give up any prospects like they would have to in a trade, or a compensation pick in next year's draft. Just years and money at this point. Just over pay now to enhance our chances to win over the next few years, and worry about '19/'20 when we get there.

At this point, anything less than Cespedes or Upton, after all of the noise about the Sox being "in" on both, given our needs and no competition from the big spenders, would be a tremendous failure and disappointment.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 11:37 PM)
I completely agree it would be a disappointment, but Hahn and company have never once mentioned an interest in Cespedes or Upton.

Unless it's one of your own FA's though, no gm is go to specifically mention names. Hahn did seem to infer at every opportunity they were going to get another outfielder. Of course that doesn't mean it's upton or Cespedes either.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 10:37 PM)
You guys sure like to freak out about Twitter rumors.

I'm not freaking out. But it would piss me off to see Cespedes back on the Tigers and for the foreseeable future. All while we have some fool in the OF who cant hit and is part of the collective(the entire OF last year) that surrendered 3-4 games worth of runs