Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

The White Sox are concerned about payroll this year, so why not structure a deal like this:

Year 1: $10 million

Year 2: $20 million

Year 3: $20 million

Year 4: $20 million

Year 5: $20 million mutual option with team buyout of $10 million

Year 6: $20 million mutual option with team buyout of $10 million

That way, the worst case for him is he opts out after year 4 having made $70 million and thinking he can get more than $40 million for the next 2-3 seasons. If the team decides to walk, it's a minimum 4/$80 deal, with maximum potential of 6/$110.

That seems to be a better deal than anything he's being offered at the moment.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)
The White Sox are concerned about payroll this year, so why not structure a deal like this:

Year 1: $10 million

Year 2: $20 million

Year 3: $20 million

Year 4: $20 million

Year 5: $20 million mutual option with team buyout of $10 million

Year 6: $20 million mutual option with team buyout of $10 million

That way, the worst case for him is he opts out after year 4 having made $70 million and thinking he can get more than $40 million for the next 2-3 seasons. If the team decides to walk, it's a minimum 4/$80 deal, with maximum potential of 6/$110.

That seems to be a better deal than anything he's being offered at the moment.

I would be shocked if he ends up signing for less than 6 years or 20M AAV. Unless the deal is *significantly* back loaded and gives him an early opt out, I don't think it's realistic to pay him 10M in year 1 of his deal.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
So 2 days ago he was deciding between a 5 year $90 million offer from the Orioles and a 1 year offer from the Mets. Now there are 10 teams interested and he doesn't have to bother with a short term offer.

You have to love the Twitter.

Yeah, sounds like the agent's PR machene working over time.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
I would be shocked if he ends up signing for less than 6 years or 20M AAV. Unless the deal is *significantly* back loaded and gives him an early opt out, I don't think it's realistic to pay him 10M in year 1 of his deal.

Remember, a "significantly backloaded deal" makes an opt-out cost the guy money. The more you backload a deal, the less value an opt-out has.

Really starting to wonder about Toronto. Bautista will be 36 in October and a FA after the '16 season. I'm thinking Toronto could sign Cespedes this year to eventually replace Bautista after '16 when Bautista becomes a FA. A move like that would allow Toronto to bring Pompei along at a slower pace and allow him another season of adjusting to the majors. Another option for Toronto would be to sign Cespedes and trade Dickey. Not sure if there is any truth to the rumor but supposedly there were a few NL teams interested in Dickey in December. Toronto is not afraid of long term contracts, has some payroll space and is competing with Boston, Baltimore and the Yanks in the ALE. I think Toronto is a team that could offer Cespedes what he's looking for.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 01:06 PM)

I think the odds of him signing for 6 years or more is slim to none. He's looking at a 4 or 5 contract IMO.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 08:09 PM)
I really just can't see the Sox being able to come away with Cespedes at this point. 7-10 teams & somewhat long-term suitors don't bode well for them.

I hope I'm wrong but this is just not playing out the way most were hoping, IMO.

So far, no proof anyone would go past 3 years. No doubt in my mind teams just don't trust him to stay focused on a long-term deal.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
I really just can't see the Sox being able to come away with Cespedes at this point. 7-10 teams & somewhat long-term suitors don't bode well for them.

I hope I'm wrong but this is just not playing out the way most were hoping, IMO.

Who exactly are these long-term suitors? If there are 7 to 10 teams interested, the vast majority are probably only interested in a 1 year deal. All these recent tweets are Cespedes' people trying to rebuild his market.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 12:10 PM)
So far, no proof anyone would go past 3 years. No doubt in my mind teams just don't trust him to stay focused on a long-term deal.

There's been a ton of smoke on him being a personality issue.

I just can't believe Upton isn't getting more play from other teams. Been a very weird FA.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)
Really starting to wonder about Toronto. Bautista will be 36 in October and a FA after the '16 season. I'm thinking Toronto could sign Cespedes this year to eventually replace Bautista after '16 when Bautista becomes a FA. A move like that would allow Toronto to bring Pompei along at a slower pace and allow him another season of adjusting to the majors. Another option for Toronto would be to sign Cespedes and trade Dickey. Not sure if there is any truth to the rumor but supposedly there were a few NL teams interested in Dickey in December. Toronto is not afraid of long term contracts, has some payroll space and is competing with Boston, Baltimore and the Yanks in the ALE. I think Toronto is a team that could offer Cespedes what he's looking for.

There's been numerous reports Toronto is trying to lock up Bautista and encarnacion.

Who is another viable option for the Sox to be their Cleanup hitter? It would be reassuring to know that there is another candidate, if Cespedes signs elsewhere. Please don't tell me that Cabrera, or Frazier is going to bat behind Abreu, or God forbid Adam La Roche.

There must be a player out there somewhere, whom the Sox could acquire, without giving up too much.

Is there someone, to whom a team would like to rid themselves of paying a high salary, for the next 2 to 3 years? Someone besides CarGo or Ethier?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)
Who is another viable option for the Sox to be their Cleanup hitter? It would be reassuring to know that there is another candidate, if Cespedes signs elsewhere. Please don't tell me that Cabrera, or Frazier is going to bat behind Abreu, or God forbid Adam La Roche.

There must be a player out there somewhere, whom the Sox could acquire, without giving up too much.

Is there someone, to whom a team would like to rid themselves of paying a high salary, for the next 2 to 3 years? Someone besides CarGo or Ethier?

Ask it stands right now, Frazier is most definitely slated to bat behind Abreu. Still better than what the Sox had last year. I just don't see the Sox making any more trades to improve the lineup. It's going to cost too much. Maybe they say screw it and forfeit the pick to get a guy like Fowler to strengthen the top of the order as opposed to the middle. Eaton, Fowler, Abreu, Fraizer is not a bad 1-4. I'd still rather have that big bat though...

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
There's been numerous reports Toronto is trying to lock up Bautista and encarnacion.

I can believe Encarnacion but I don't buy them trying to lock up a 35 year old Bautista. It would be smarter to sign a 30 year old Cespedes instead of extend a 35 year old Bautista. I realize it's not what Sox fans want to hear but I really do see Toronto as a threat to sign Cespedes to a long term contract.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)

If you want to trade for a cleanup hitter without "giving up much," you're going to be disappointed in who we would get.