Alex Gordon Thread

Dunt

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
I can't see this team spending $20M per on Alex Gordon (on top of Frazier & Lawrie moves) only to trot Avi's useless ass out in RF on a daily basis. Maybe as a part of a platoon, but not as the everyday starter. Until you get that RF upgrade, you're better off with Melky in RF & an LaRoche/Avi platoon at DH.

And if you add Gordon, he should definitely bat second where his on-base skills can be maximized.

1. Eaton, CF

2. Gordon, LF

3. Abreu, 1B

4. Frazier, 3B

5. Cabrera, 3B

6. Lawrie, 2B

7. LaRoche/Avi, DH

8. Saladino, SS

9. Avila/Navarro, C

I don't think Frazier needs help at third.... :P

No really though, Melky in right is scary. Dude was barely decent in left.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)

So was Avi. If my options are Melky in RF & LaRoche at DH or Avi in RF & Melky at DH, I'm 100% picking the former because there is much offensive upside with the same amount of defensive liability. Avi Garcia is simply not a good baseball and can't be counted on for a regular role on a team serious about contending.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)

I think the game plan is to have Melky DH. I don't see La Roche being apart of this team come opening day. Hopefully Avi can learn a few things from Gordon come spring training. (If the Sox sign him)

If the Sox go the Cespedes route, I can see them moving Avi to LF and have Cespedes play RF.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 08:14 AM)
Hahn already tipped his intentions to rid the roster of La Roche. A willingness to eat 3/4 of his remaining contract is a pretty strong indication that they want him gone.

It also appears that they are not ready to give up on Avi. If they can clear the DH spot for Melky, then it makes sense that they would acquire Gordon.

He would take Melky's place in LF and Avi would stay in RF. It helps the lineup, as Melky is probably the best 2 hole hitter on the roster. But if he hits second, and La Roche is gone, they have no LH bats to break up the 3 through 7 hitters. Gordon provides that, and balances the line up. He also adds the OBP that Cespedes doesn't,

and will require fewer years and less money than Upton, or Cespedes.

I see the lineup vs. RHP like this:

CF Eaton

DH Melky

1B Abreu

LF Gordon

3B Frazier

2B Lawrie

RF Avi

C Avila

SS Saladino

Like it, or not, I think that's what is coming.

I think you're better off with Gordon hitting 2nd, in front of Jose. Balance be damned.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 07:57 AM)
I think the game plan is to have Melky DH. I don't see La Roche being apart of this team come opening day. Hopefully Avi can learn a few things from Gordon come spring training. (If the Sox sign him)

If the Sox go the Cespedes route, I can see them moving Avi to LF and have Cespedes play RF.

I just don't see how they deal LaRoche for anything.

If an offer of LaRoche & $8M in cash for a lower-level prospect didn't get it done, I don't think anything will.

Judging by Hahn's comments, it sure looks like they don't want Avi starting out there. Plus he has another option.

I think they hold on to LaRoche.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:02 AM)

If an offer of LaRoche & $8M in cash for a lower-level prospect didn't get it done, I don't think anything will.

Judging by Hahn's comments, it sure looks like they don't want Avi starting out there. Plus he has another option.

Me too. A LaRoche/Avi platoon wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, either. Especially if LaRoche figures it out. Avi hits LHP very well.

I still prefer to see Melky DH, but it probably isn't in the cards this year unless they sign two OFs.

If they can make the big splash getting one of the 3 big OF names, they may have to run Avi out at DH vs LHP and LaRoache against RHP.

Gives them both the biggest chance to succeed (not a good chance, but still) and rebuild trade value (of which they have little (Avi) to none/negative (LaRoache). Hit them 6th or 7th, it's not going to make or break this team in the 1st 40-81 games if we add Upton, Cespedes or Gordon.

Maybe some of these QO guys like Fowler and D Murphy don't sign during the offseason, stay fresh and ready until after the draft. They can always pick the best situation for them in June after injuries happen and standings start to take shape. I wonder if this will start to happen more? Morales was one of the 1st to do this, no?

Maybe Avi and/or LaRoache has some trade value by then?

Trade them to restock the bottom of our system or clear $$$ (even if it's low level talent or some $$$) and sign someone like Fowler or D Murphy to play OF or DH, move Melky accordingly and go for it hard the rest of the season.

It would be a ballsy move for sure, but crazier things have happened. It's pretty clear by now no one is going to give us anything or real value for those 2 right now, so best to try to rebuild value.

If they both continue to be unplayable for very long, it's off to AAA for Avi and the street for LaRoache. DH isn't exactly the hardest position to fill, neither is corner OF. We have a DH ready, hurting us in the OF (Melky).

I think Rick can fix this, he's just going to have to play it depending on the market, QO Free agents and how things develop with this team in Spring Training and the first 40 games. He can't trade LaRoache and Avi right now apparently, and he can't spend more than he can spend.

All in all, at least things are looking up again on the South Side. What I've proposed isn't likely, but it is likely somewhere between Plan D-Z for our White Sox.

Merry Christmas everyone.

I think JB Shuck ends up being the 4th OF'er, which would mean Avi is either traded or sent down.

If they end up keeping him up, then a platoon wouldn't be a bad idea.

At this point, the Sox just need to get their OF'er (preferably Upton or Cespedes for me) & go from there.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:02 AM)

Avi definitely has more trade value than La Roche. In fact there is a decent possibility of Avi being traded before they send him down to the farm. However, i just don't see the Sox risking another season having La Roche DH. Either they keep him on the bench as a backup to Abreu/ late inning defensive replacement or they release him and eat his entire contract. Another possibility is a team experiencing an injury to their 1B during ST and call for La Roche's services at a mega discount.

One thing is for certain, they do not want La Roche as their DH and pretty much were open about it. Hahn indirectly said we need another RF as well. So either they move Avi to LF, send him to the farm or trade him away. Many questions will likely be answered within the next few weeks.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:07 AM)
If they can make the big splash getting one of the 3 big OF names, they may have to run Avi out at DH vs LHP and LaRoache against RHP.

Gives them both the biggest chance to succeed (not a good chance, but still) and rebuild trade value (of which they have little (Avi) to none/negative (LaRoache). Hit them 6th or 7th, it's not going to make or break this team in the 1st 40-81 games if we add Upton, Cespedes or Gordon.

Maybe some of these QO guys like Fowler and D Murphy don't sign during the offseason, stay fresh and ready until after the draft. They can always pick the best situation for them in June after injuries happen and standings start to take shape. I wonder if this will start to happen more? Morales was one of the 1st to do this, no?

Maybe Avi and/or LaRoache has some trade value by then?

Trade them to restock the bottom of our system or clear $$$ (even if it's low level talent or some $$$) and sign someone like Fowler or D Murphy to play OF or DH, move Melky accordingly and go for it hard the rest of the season.

It would be a ballsy move for sure, but crazier things have happened. It's pretty clear by now no one is going to give us anything or real value for those 2 right now, so best to try to rebuild value.

If they both continue to be unplayable for very long, it's off to AAA for Avi and the street for LaRoache. DH isn't exactly the hardest position to fill, neither is corner OF. We have a DH ready, hurting us in the OF (Melky).

I think Rick can fix this, he's just going to have to play it depending on the market, QO Free agents and how things develop with this team in Spring Training and the first 40 games. He can't trade LaRoache and Avi right now apparently, and he can't spend more than he can spend.

All in all, at least things are looking up again on the South Side. What I've proposed isn't likely, but it is likely somewhere between Plan D-Z for our White Sox.

Merry Christmas everyone.

If we add Gordon there is no sense in wasting time with Avi or LaRoche in the lineup. Send LaRoche off to Colorado with $10M and whichever prospect not named Anderson/Fulmer/Adams it takes to get Blackmon coming back perhaps? We may not think our system can pull off that deal but no one thought we could get Frazier and Lawrie for Montas and not much else...

1.) Eaton, cf

2.) Gordon, lf

3.) Abreu, 1b

4.) Frazier, 3b

5.) Blackmon, rf

6.) Lawrie, 2b

7.) Cabrera, dh

8.) Avila/Navarro, c

9.) Saladino, ss

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:12 AM)
I think JB Shuck ends up being the 4th OF'er, which would mean Avi is either traded or sent down.

If they end up keeping him up, then a platoon wouldn't be a bad idea.

At this point, the Sox just need to get their OF'er (preferably Upton or Cespedes for me) & go from there.

I don't think Shuck is going to be the one to make or break Avi being on the team. I could see them going with a bench of backup C, A. Garcia, Shuck, Sanchez and L. Garcia. That's 3 guys that can play the outfield, two of which can play center if needed, and 2 guys that can play infield. With the versatility of Lawrie, Saladino and L. Garcia, that gives Robin a lot of different options for the lineup.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 08:16 AM)
Avi definitely has more trade value than La Roche. In fact there is a decent possibility of Avi being traded before they send him down to the farm. However, i just don't see the Sox risking another season having La Roche DH. Either they keep him on the bench as a backup to Abreu/ late inning defensive replacement or they release him and eat his entire contract. Another possibility is a team experiencing an injury to their 1B during ST and call for La Roche's services at a mega discount.

One thing is for certain, they do not want La Roche as their DH and pretty much were open about it. Hahn indirectly said we need another RF as well. So either they move Avi to LF, send him to the farm or trade him away. Many questions will likely be answered within the next few weeks.

I feel like Hahn has made it pretty clear he's not very comfortable with either at this point...

Question is, can they afford to upgrade at both positions?

Would love to see Upton/Cespedes signed, LaRoche traded for some relief & Parra signed to fill the other corner & Melky to DH, I'm just not sure they do that.

Question is, are they better off with Avi in RF & Melky at DH or Melky in LF & LaRoche at DH if they sign one of the big three?

I feel like to fully be "contenders", they need to add that big bat, so assuming they find a way to do that, do they deal Avi for pen help or deal LaRoche for salary relief?

Like you said, we should know relatively soon. I just hope they are smart about it.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 08:19 AM)
I don't think Shuck is going to be the one to make or break Avi being on the team. I could see them going with a bench of backup C, A. Garcia, Shuck, Sanchez and L. Garcia. That's 3 guys that can play the outfield, two of which can play center if needed, and 2 guys that can play infield. With the versatility of Lawrie, Saladino and L. Garcia, that gives Robin a lot of different options for the lineup.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they went with 4 bench players & 7 pen arms for the majority of last year, right?

QUOTE (fredmanrique @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:17 AM)
If we add Gordon there is no sense in wasting time with Avi or LaRoche in the lineup. Send LaRoche off to Colorado with $10M and whichever prospect not named Anderson/Fulmer/Adams it takes to get Blackmon coming back perhaps?

At least be realistic.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
I feel like Hahn has made it pretty clear he's not very comfortable with either at this point...

Question is, can they afford to upgrade at both positions?

Would love to see Upton/Cespedes signed, LaRoche traded for some relief & Parra signed to fill the other corner & Melky to DH, I'm just not sure they do that.

Question is, are they better off with Avi in RF & Melky at DH or Melky in LF & LaRoche at DH if they sign one of the big three?

I feel like to fully be "contenders", they need to add that big bat, so assuming they find a way to do that, do they deal Avi for pen help or deal LaRoche for salary relief?

Like you said, we should know relatively soon. I just hope they are smart about it.

Cmon dude. You know that is not a possibility in any of the available dimensions that we live in, right?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 07:57 AM)

Giving Avi a starting job is dumber than giving Laroche a starting (platoon) job.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 08:31 AM)
Cmon dude. You know that is not a possibility in any of the available dimensions that we live in, right?

Which is why I said I don't know or more of the point don't think they do that.

That's what I would like to see but know it's not going to happen.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)
Yes. It'll be a 4 man bench. 12 pitchers, 9 regulars/starters, 4 bench.

That's what they've done in recent years but with the rotation that they have and possibly Turner in the bullpen it would be unnecessary to have 7 pen arms. Turner, if healthy, would be the long man/6th starter that could cover quite a few innings.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)
Giving Avi a starting job is dumber than giving Laroche a starting (platoon) job.

This. Regardless of which outfielder we sign, we need another bat. Avi or LaRoche in this lineup doesn't signify going for a run. We'll still have two holes in the lineup at C and SS, can't have that third black hole.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 08:29 AM)
Yes. It'll be a 4 man bench. 12 pitchers, 9 regulars/starters, 4 bench.

Which is why I don't think they'll keep 2 OF'ers, especially someone like Avi who can't play all 3 positions.

Seems more likely to go Shuck, Sanchez, C, & L. Garcia/Utility type player.

I think it's safe to say that if they add an OF'er, one of Avi/LaRoche won't be on the roster opening day. Avi still has an option, which makes me think he's the one who won't be there.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
This. Regardless of which outfielder we sign, we need another bat. Avi or LaRoche in this lineup doesn't signify going for a run. We'll still have two holes in the lineup at C and SS, can't have that third black hole.

I disagree. That tandem should be league average if not better. If Flowers/Soto can be league average, this combo should be better.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:35 AM)

Catcher definitely isn't a hole in the lineup at all.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
Which is why I said I don't know or more of the point don't think they do that.

That's what I would like to see but know it's not going to happen.

The Sox signing 3 of the most expensive FA outfielders in the market is not even worth the thought. It isnt just unlikely to happen it is for sure not going to happen and pretty ridiculous to ponder as a possibility. IMHO.