2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 09:58 AM)
Also it is already available to those makin 3k or more and no stats have shown that happening. For instance, teen ptrnanvy continues to decline and is at lowest point ever.

The "welfare queen popping out babies" is a gross myth that needs to die. There's no reason, as you say, that we can't both help children in extreme poverty while also continuing to lower unwanted pregnancies.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 10, 2016 -> 06:53 PM)
http://deadsp.in/kHvyJdn

Annnnnd that's a wrap.

(Trump + N-Word)

Black people, and non-black people who don't have their heads up their asses, don't need to see a video of Trump saying the n-word. That's for all the clueless people who are hung up on what they think is just a bunch of PC language violations, for everyone else, they have a whole ass mountain of evidence to conclude what should be obvious. Those people think evidence of racism is one of the following:

-Using the n-word

-Direct, open involvement with the KKK

-Literally nothing else

If this video gets released, expect another round of people pretending to be shocked that they didn't know Trump has been this person his entire life.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
Black people, and non-black people who don't have their heads up their asses, don't need to see a video of Trump saying the n-word. That's for all the clueless people who are hung up on what they think is just a bunch of PC language violations, for everyone else, they have a whole ass mountain of evidence to conclude what should be obvious. Those people think evidence of racism is one of the following:

-Using the n-word

-Literally nothing else

If this video gets released, expect another round of people pretending to be shocked that they didn't know Trump has been this person his entire life.

Actually discriminating black families from opportunities to live in your development because they are black is to me more pernicious anyways. This will just be Donald sterling part two. "Sure, he discriminated against people of color for decades, but how would we have known he was racist unless we heard him say the n-word?!?!"

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)

-Using the n-word

-Literally nothing else

There's still something about the human psyche that makes it more visceral about having video or audio of the person saying it or doing it.

I do think you're on to something there with the "evidence of racism" thing, and that an "n-word tape" could be used as an excuse for "oh yes, this is obviously racist!" while sweeping the last 16 months of Trump's racism (and sexism) that the GOP's apparently been a-okay with under the rug.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
Actually discriminating black families from opportunities to live in your development because they are black is to me more pernicious anyways. This will just be Donald sterling part two. "Sure, he discriminated against people of color for decades, but how would we have known he was racist unless we heard him say the n-word?!?!"

Hours before the p**** grabber tape dropped, he reiterated his stance that the Central Park Five were guilty and should have been executed.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)

His family literally made their money as slum lords exploiting poor minorities. I'm surprised more people dont know this. His parents were very close to the KKK.

I've made pretty clear I despise Trump, but I feel the need to point out two things from the debate. One, the moderators were friendlier to Clinton than Trump, though I was glad they called them both out on a few things. Two, the last question, Trump actually answered, where Clinton gave a complete non-answer.

That all said... holy crap, Trump STILL doesn't have the slightest idea how government works, how foreign policy works, or how leadership works. Wow. Continues to amaze.

Also, side note - I really, really, really hate that people defending Trump are conflating lewd but consensual conduct with condoning sexual assault. These things are miles from each other. I don't honestly care that Trump had affairs, and that would not be a serious factor in my decision on who to vote for. How are people not getting that?

For the record it is a relief and kind of exciting to have arguments over whether social programs increase or decrease likelihood of moving people out of poverty cycle. I'd much rather have that discussion than worrying about an insane man will get elected president.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
I've made pretty clear I despise Trump, but I feel the need to point out two things from the debate. One, the moderators were friendlier to Clinton than Trump, though I was glad they called them both out on a few things.

The only reason they were "friendlier" is he lied and avoided the questions much more frequently than she did. They had to do something to make him actually address his own comments.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
There's still something about the human psyche that makes it more visceral about having video or audio of the person saying it or doing it.

I do think you're on to something there with the "evidence of racism" thing, and that an "n-word tape" could be used as an excuse for "oh yes, this is obviously racist!" while sweeping the last 16 months of Trump's racism (and sexism) that the GOP's apparently been a-okay with under the rug.

Hours before the p**** grabber tape dropped, he reiterated his stance that the Central Park Five were guilty and should have been executed.

Per second paragraph, it really meant a lot to me that mccain included that in his unendorsement.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
For the record it is a relief and kind of exciting to have arguments over whether social programs increase or decrease likelihood of moving people out of poverty cycle. I'd much rather have that discussion than worrying about an insane man will get elected president.

I think we should talk about how Ken Bone is apparently having a lot of fun with this, and good for him! This is his twitter profile pic now.

V1zde8J7.jpg

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 10:07 AM)

Congress is going to be a roadblock or enabler and those elections are very important here. HRC has already won IMO and now it depends if the GOP can right their ship away from trump./

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)
I've made pretty clear I despise Trump, but I feel the need to point out two things from the debate. One, the moderators were friendlier to Clinton than Trump, though I was glad they called them both out on a few things. Two, the last question, Trump actually answered, where Clinton gave a complete non-answer.

That all said... holy crap, Trump STILL doesn't have the slightest idea how government works, how foreign policy works, or how leadership works. Wow. Continues to amaze.

Also, side note - I really, really, really hate that people defending Trump are conflating lewd but consensual conduct with condoning sexual assault. These things are miles from each other. I don't honestly care that Trump had affairs, and that would not be a serious factor in my decision on who to vote for. How are people not getting that?

This is what I was talking about a few posts up. People think this about the fact that Trump said something dirty, and used the word "p****" when he wasn't supposed to. That's not the point at all.

The whole Lewinsky affair for example was 100% inappropriate but it was completely consensual, in fact SHE was aggressively pursuing HIM. "50 Shades of Grey" was an official GOP talking point all of them were using in unison the past few days. The problem with that is the whole relationship with the main characters involves a contract and there was never any non-consensual sex. The most recent defense I heard was "Clinton is hypocritical to criticize Trump because she admires Beyonce and Beyonce had lyrics saying her husband f***ed her good so she takes his ass to Red Lobster." Ummmmm no. Not. The. Same. Thing.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
This is what I was talking about a few posts up. People think this about the fact that Trump said something dirty, and used the word "p****" when he wasn't supposed to. That's not the point at all.

The whole Lewinsky affair for example was 100% inappropriate but it was completely consensual, in fact SHE was aggressively pursuing HIM. "50 Shades of Grey" was an official GOP talking point all of them were using in unison the past few days. The problem with that is the whole relationship with the main characters involves a contract and there was never any non-consensual sex. The most recent defense I heard was "Clinton is hypocritical to criticize Trump because she admires Beyonce and Beyonce had lyrics saying her husband f***ed her good so she takes his ass to Red Lobster." Ummmmm no. Not. The. Same. Thing.

The one thing I think you can say about Clinton/Lewinski is that there's a huge power imbalance there and it best it's very questionable when someone in a position of authority engages in sexual activity with a subordinate. I liken it to the college professor who's sleeping with undergrads--definitely not legal, but still pretty skeezy and can raise some questions regarding power, influence and consent.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)
I think we should talk about how Ken Bone is apparently having a lot of fun with this, and good for him! This is his twitter profile pic now.

V1zde8J7.jpg

Yeah I mentioned that yesterday. I was relieved how it turned out. I'm old enough to remember when being snarky and sarcastic was alternative. Now seeing someone as sincere as him is like seeing a unicorn.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 10:18 AM)
The one thing I think you can say about Clinton/Lewinski is that there's a huge power imbalance there and it best it's very questionable when someone in a position of authority engages in sexual activity with a subordinate. I liken it to the college professor who's sleeping with undergrads--definitely not legal, but still pretty skeezy and can raise some questions regarding power, influence and consent.

Cheating on your spouse alone is pretty terrible, but I am not going to fault the person who is actually running for getting cheated on. Trump, on the other hand, has cheated, multiple times, and he IS running for president.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
Yeah I mentioned that yesterday. I was relieved how it turned out. I'm old enough to remember when being snarky and sarcastic was alternative. Now seeing someone as sincere as him is like seeing a unicorn.

His appearance on Kimmel was great. I don't know if it was scripted or not, but he came off as a natural comedian.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)
Congress is going to be a roadblock or enabler and those elections are very important here. HRC has already won IMO and now it depends if the GOP can right their ship away from trump./

Do not forget why so few people have "unendorsed" this disaster - because this remains what a very large fraction of their base wants. He surged to the lead because he told them it was ok to publicly hate certain groups of people because of how they look and who they are. Trump was actually right that Mitt Romney had to kowtow to him in 2012 - because he was the leader of the birther movement and that party's base is people in that movement.

They cannot stop being who their party is.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
Do not forget why so few people have "unendorsed" this disaster - because this remains what a very large fraction of their base wants. He surged to the lead because he told them it was ok to publicly hate certain groups of people because of how they look and who they are. Trump was actually right that Mitt Romney had to kowtow to him in 2012 - because he was the leader of the birther movement and that party's base is people in that movement.

They cannot stop being who their party is.

I don't think this is totally accurate. Trump benefited from a lot of split votes.

There is a large contingent of Trump supporters than I would not like in the party, that's true. But I don't think it's what the party "is," just like I don't think Clinton is what the democratic party "is."

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)
I don't think this is totally accurate. Trump benefited from a lot of split votes.

There is a large contingent of Trump supporters than I would not like in the party, that's true. But I don't think it's what the party "is," just like I don't think Clinton is what the democratic party "is."

There are a lot of people who are holding their noses to vote for Trump so that they don't cede the White House to Clinton.