So when we're right around .500 in July, what do we do?

ChiSoxJon

It doesn't feel like they can go through two consecutive seasons where there is no clear direction to add or subtract at the deadline.

They're going to have to try to do everything possible to compete this year and simultaneously set themselves up to have an even better chance to win the following season.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 05:04 PM)
At .500 they should punt. Too far out to kick a FG

The Blue Jays were .500 at the trade deadline last year. As SS2K5 wrote, we would need more context. Are the Sox at .500 because of one hot streak despite spending most of the season below .500 (like last year), or are there encouraging signs (decent run differential, key player coming back from a DL visit soon, soft upcoming schedule, etc.)? It also depends on what the playoff picture looks like. Too many possible scenarios to consider without that extra context.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 03:13 AM)
The Blue Jays were .500 at the trade deadline last year. As SS2K5 wrote, we would need more context. Are the Sox at .500 because of one hot streak despite spending most of the season below .500 (like last year), or are there encouraging signs (decent run differential, key player coming back from a DL visit soon, soft upcoming schedule, etc.)? It also depends on what the playoff picture looks like. Too many possible scenarios to consider without that extra context.

i agree on this wholeheartedly, last yr, the sox FO was close to continuing their hopes that the team was capable of sustaining the good run.

many posters who saw the makeup, wasn't so sure. for me, their were too many negatives at the asg break.

either way, you made the point, can't use last yr or any other example to gage, esp this team with its improvements. it will need to be taken on a step by step basis.

i do have a good feeling, it will be better if the final pieces are obtained.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
but damn it, i know i am going to sound really sappy here, and maybe some poster will have ammo to make fun, but i can see this team on the cusp of doing great things. esp if the sox will invest in an of'er and sp.

then i can see the domino effect happen towards the positive side.

damn it, the owners has to give in. the fans want it to happen, to make this team better.

sorry, mini rant there.

I was a Sox Fan ever since I can remember,it`s in my family`s blood.I can`t help it,it`s in my DNA.Now,I don`t hate the Cubs I just don`t follow them.

We just seemed to be a few players short every year.This coming year seems no different.I hope I am wrong and if I am I will gladly admit it,but I`m not getting my season tics again this year because of it.Since Reinsdorf took over we may have made the playoffs 5 or 6 times.The WS was great but we should have higher goals than winning 1 world series since 1980`s.That`s my opinion FWIW.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)
If they are .500 I think they will add and try to go to the playoffs. And then try again next year. They won't even consider selling off anything until middle of 2017 in my opinion. Why would they? This team should be in contention and can always add in season.

Why should they be?

Teams that win in this era have young talent, play elite defense and have strong bullpens...only one of which is a Sox priority; and they actually weakened that priority this offseason (bullpen) by trading Montas.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 09:47 AM)
Why should they be?

Teams that win in this era have young talent, play elite defense and have strong bullpens...only one of which is a Sox priority; and they actually weakened that priority this offseason (bullpen) by trading Montas.

Teams like the Astros, Cubs, Mets, Dodgers and Blue Jays aren't built around great defenses.

The Royals are something of an anomaly because 1) at the time, building a defense was cheaper than paying for offense, at least until recently and 2) that style of play works with that specific ballpark. They're basically having to compensate for their lack of dominant pitching and lack of 30+ homer types in other areas. You can also say the same thing for the Rays (because of their payroll and turf stadium)...and then you have the Orioles, who have prioritized defense under Showalter but still might finish in 4th place.

There's also nothing special about the defenses of the other AL Central teams. The Tigers are very solid up the middle but have issues on all the corners (both INF/OF). The Twins have the potential to be above-average if Buxton realizes his immense potential and they can avoid putting Sano in that outfield too much.