USA Today 2016 season predicitions

LittleHurt05

I told my partner that I would propose to her if the Sox win 90 games.

In all seriousness, I had the Sox winning about 84 games after the Latos signing.

For the Sox to win 90 games, everyone on the roster has to perform to the back of their baseball card and the team has to stay healthy, which is going to be interesting to watch considereing that the team signed some guys with reputations of being injury prone (Latos, Avila, Turner, etc).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 04:28 AM)
Just throwing it out there for the sox to say put up 90 wins then just averaging it out over 6 months would be 15 wins a month. If they have a losing month then they would have to a better winning total in another month. Basically first month should be a tell if they are going to do something since they kinda fall flat in April for the past couple years. If they are .500 or better then might be a good chance.

I think the 1st 16 games is generally a good indicator of whether the Sox will have a winning season or not.

Lets look at what has happened since 2005 - Record in the 1st 16 games

2005 - 12-4 - Winning Season

2006 - 11-5 - Winning Season

2007 - 9-7 - Losing Season

2008 - 10-6 - Winning Season

2009 - 8-8 - Losing Season

2010 - 5-11 - Winning Season

2011 - 7-9 - Losing Season

2012 - 10-6 - Winning Season

2013 - 7-9 - Losing Season

2014 - 8-8 - Losing Season

2015 - 7-9 - Losing Season

If you look at the above, apart from the anomaly of the 2010 season, if we have not went at least 10-6 in the opening 16 games, then we've went on to have a losing season.

This season our opening 16 games are:-

Oakland (road) 4 games.

Cleveland (Home) 3 games.

Minnesota (road) 3 games.

Rays (road) 3 games.

Angels (home) 3 games.

So for these 16 games to start the season, where do you see us getting 10 wins or more?

QUOTE (glangon @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)
I think the 1st 16 games is generally a good indicator of whether the Sox will have a winning season or not.

If you look at the above, apart from the anomaly of the 2010 season, if we have not went at least 10-6 in the opening 16 games, then we've went on to have a losing season.

Oakland (road) 4 games.

Rays (road) 3 games.

Angels (home) 3 games.

So for these 16 games to start the season, where do you see us getting 10 wins or more?

thanks for your hard work in assembling this info.

for me, based on last yr fiasco of my predictions, i will refrain from any predictions ..... and cheer like a mad man.

QUOTE (glangon @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 06:06 AM)

Oakland (road) 4 games.

Rays (road) 3 games.

Angels (home) 3 games.

That's actually a pretty weak opening 5 series even with 3 of them being on the road. Out of those, there's 1 team I expect to have a winning record and 4 teams that I wouldn't be very surprised to see below .500. Since it's baseball probably at least 1, maybe 2 of them will surprise and be better than expected, but the A's are very young, the Twins are pretty young and they're on paper the weakest team in the Central (they need their pitching staff to return to form and several guys to develop just to make a run at things), the Rays have some talent but look generally like a weaker team in the East, and the Angels have basically Mike Trout and a bunch of prayers.

Are they smart enough to just go from Arizona to Oakland without stopping in Chicago first? That'd be some extra helpful sleep.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
That's actually a pretty weak opening 5 series even with 3 of them being on the road. Out of those, there's 1 team I expect to have a winning record and 4 teams that I wouldn't be very surprised to see below .500. Since it's baseball probably at least 1, maybe 2 of them will surprise and be better than expected, but the A's are very young, the Twins are pretty young and they're on paper the weakest team in the Central (they need their pitching staff to return to form and several guys to develop just to make a run at things), the Rays have some talent but look generally like a weaker team in the East, and the Angels have basically Mike Trout and a bunch of prayers.

Are they smart enough to just go from Arizona to Oakland without stopping in Chicago first? That'd be some extra helpful sleep.

Arizona to San Diego for two games, and then up to Oakland. Just hope the Thursday day game is rain free and quick so they can get back to Chicago at a decent hour. No off day before the home opener.

As far as the start to the season, I've been thinking "Please be 12-8 instead of 8-12 after 20 games". It's such a huge difference. This team desperately needs to start ok.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (glangon @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 05:06 AM)

Oakland (road) 4 games.

Rays (road) 3 games.

Angels (home) 3 games.

Realistically, I could see the Sox splitting with Oakland, taking 2/3 against Cleveland, losing 2/3 with Minnesota, and taking 2/3 from Tampa and LA.

That would put them at 9-7 after 16 games. I'd take that in a second.