2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 16, 2016 -> 08:59 PM)
Even if that daily dish article wasn't serious, some of those proposals they had from other teams were so much better than the ones they had for the Cubs. Why the hell would the Angels want an injured DH, a guy hitting under .200, and a decent infielder that might K too much when they can get Cespedes and Matt Harvey from the Mets or 3 of Boston's best young players in Bogaerts, Bradley, and Betts?

I also laugh at the idea that Adam Eaton, Carlos Rodon, and all of our best prospects is somehow the worst deal they can come up with.

Angels wouldn't be looking for guys like Cespedes/Harvey. They'd want cost-controlled guys like Syndergaard and Conforto. The Red Sox to me easily have the best farm system of any team that would be a match, as they have top young pitching (Espinoza and ERod) as well as stud position players.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 16, 2016 -> 09:00 PM)
they certainly were not, they were laughing about emptying out the farm for someone like Trout and saying it wont happen pretty much for that reason

Follow

Nick Shepkowski

‏@Shep670

****IF**** Cubs/Angels worked out deal for Trout what is too much to give up for Cubs? Discussing on @SpiegelAndGoff

From the parts I heard, they were talking about Schwarber, Baez, Torres, Contreras and Underwood possibly being enough with Jeff Passan.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
Follow

Nick Shepkowski

‏@Shep670

****IF**** Cubs/Angels worked out deal for Trout what is too much to give up for Cubs? Discussing on @SpiegelAndGoff

From the parts I heard, they were talking about Schwarber, Baez, Torres, Contreras and Underwood possibly being enough with Jeff Passan.

There's a chance those guys combined don't put together enough WAR in their whole careers to match one season from Trout.

If I'm the Angels I'm looking for at least 2 cost-controlled established players and a handful of prospects for Trout.

The only way a trade like that can work for the Cubs is if they trade Bryant/Russell along with Schwarber, Soler, and Baez.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 16, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
There's a chance those guys combined don't put together enough WAR in their whole careers to match one season from Trout.

If I'm the Angels I'm looking for at least 2 cost-controlled established players and a handful of prospects for Trout.

The only way a trade like that can work for the Cubs is if they trade Bryant/Russell along with Schwarber, Soler, and Baez.

Yeah, for Anaheim, that deal has to start with an actual star major leaguer. Russell or Bryant is the starting place of that deal.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 16, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)
Well that's certainly not the reason it wouldn't work.

Not my opinion, I said in pht that you would trade for Trout whatever they asked for and not think twice. Goff and Spiegel were talking about losing any and all prospects they built up and would have nothing going forward to continue to build the team up.

But again, they were laughing at the absurdity of it for the most part, mostly the Angels wanting to trade a 24 year old player under team control for quite a while who also is considered one of, if not the best player in the league

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 16, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
Did you guys know that the Cubs players go to bars and sing karaoke? OMG, they are just like you and me, so fun!!!!

AND Joe Maddon drinks wine and keeps up on current music!! He is the coolest!!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
Yeah, for Anaheim, that deal has to start with an actual star major leaguer. Russell or Bryant is the starting place of that deal.

Maybe. You look at what the Marlins got for Cabrera (and Willis), and you realize that there's no winning moving the best player in baseball in his prime. The Cubs, Dodgers, or Red Sox could potentially get Trout without moving an MLB ready player. It has been done before.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 16, 2016 -> 06:20 PM)
Maybe. You look at what the Marlins got for Cabrera (and Willis), and you realize that there's no winning moving the best player in baseball in his prime. The Cubs, Dodgers, or Red Sox could potentially get Trout without moving an MLB ready player. It has been done before.

The Tigers took on salary to help out that deal because the Marlins were having a fire sale. Anaheim doesn't need that, unless the Cubs are willing to take back Pujols too.

Mike Trout's 5 most similar players through age 23: Miguel Cabrera, Hank Aaron, Ken Griffey Jr, Frank Robinson, Mickey Mantle. He'd most likely be the best player ever traded. A package headlined by Kyle Schwarber doesn't even get a conversation. Starts with Kris Bryant and Addison Russell in my opinion.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 17, 2016 -> 06:33 AM)
Mike Trout's 5 most similar players through age 23: Miguel Cabrera, Hank Aaron, Ken Griffey Jr, Frank Robinson, Mickey Mantle. He'd most likely be the best player ever traded. A package headlined by Kyle Schwarber doesn't even get a conversation. Starts with Kris Bryant and Addison Russell in my opinion.

I wouldn't call him Babe Ruth just yet.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 17, 2016 -> 06:33 AM)

Trading for Bryant doesn't solve their problem. The halos need a haul to rebuild their franchise. Kris Bryant is just a worse Mike Trout in that scenario.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2016 -> 07:52 AM)
I wouldn't call him Babe Ruth just yet.

Through age 23, the comparisons to Babe Ruth are completely fair.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 17, 2016 -> 08:33 AM)
That's why it starts with Kris Bryant, not ends there.

No, it still doesn't. It would probably take most of the Cubs' 5 top 100 prospects, but not Bryant. The Halos don't really hold any cards on this. If they don't trade Trout, they're still completely hosed.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:04 AM)
No, it still doesn't. It would probably take most of the Cubs' 5 top 100 prospects, but not Bryant. The Halos don't really hold any cards on this. If they don't trade Trout, they're still completely hosed.

Yes it would. Starts with Bryant or Russell plus Schwarber. It's Mike f***ing Trout. Just prospects wouldn't even get the Cubs a sniff and I doubt they have the pitching inventory to get it done anyway.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:04 AM)

When you have the best player in baseball, you hold plenty of cards. Angels aren't trading Trout, but if they did at least a couple major league players are coming back. Prospects alone aren't getting it done.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:30 AM)
When you have the best player in baseball, you hold plenty of cards. Angels aren't trading Trout, but if they did at least a couple major league players are coming back. Prospects alone aren't getting it done.

History tells us no, you don't. To move a player like that requires a high degree of desperation.

If I'm the Cubs, I'm dealing Russell, Schwarber and the rest from the minor leagues...one would obviously be Almora to play CF, Torres, two of their best starting pitching prospects in the minors and one more piece (catcher?) I wouldn't give up Bryant.

Paying $100 million on the last three years of that deal, it's probably going to be a "fair" price but it's not creating oodles of surplus value, except for teams that can afford $175-225 million payrolls.

The Cubs don't need Trout to win, but the Angels can't win a thing by keeping Trout. Heck, they might not even get to the playoffs, which would be really pointless and the same argument we have been making the last couple of years for trading Sale if they're "stuck in the middle" and can't surround him with enough talent to build an upper 80's win total team.

Keep in mind, the Angels are still on the hook for the Josh Hamilton and especially Pujols deals, and they have the worst minor league system (by far) in the majors. It's the right move, unless Moreno's going to spend his way quickly back into contention, and that hasn't worked very well as a strategy in LA for quite some time.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:39 AM)
If I'm the Cubs, I'm dealing Russell, Schwarber and the rest from the minor leagues...one would obviously be Almora to play CF, Torres, two of their best starting pitching prospects in the minors and one more piece (catcher?) I wouldn't give up Bryant.

Paying $100 million on the last three years of that deal, it's probably going to be a "fair" price but it's not creating oodles of surplus value, except for teams that can afford $175-225 million payrolls.

The Cubs don't need Trout to win, but the Angels can't win a thing by keeping Trout. Heck, they might not even get to the playoffs, which would be really pointless and the same argument we have been making the last couple of years for trading Sale if they're "stuck in the middle" and can't surround him with enough talent to build an upper 80's win total team.

Keep in mind, the Angels are still on the hook for the Josh Hamilton and especially Pujols deals, and they have the worst minor league system (by far) in the majors. It's the right move, unless Moreno's going to spend his way quickly back into contention, and that hasn't worked very well as a strategy in LA for quite some time.

I'd actually rather have Russell as the headliner than Bryant. You are looking at a potential 5-6 WAR SS that is like 22 years old. Russell is a stuuuud.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ May 17, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
History tells us no, you don't. To move a player like that requires a high degree of desperation.

What history? The Cabrera trade isn't even close to the same scenario. Trout is way better than Cabrera, and has more years of control than Miguel did when he was traded. Cabrera wasn't even close to the "best player in baseball" at the time he was traded either. Pujols, A-Rod, Sizemore, Utley, Wright and Mauer were all better players at the time of the trade.

Edited by OmarComing25