Fowler Signs with Cubs

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
No but the constant bashing of the ownership and not the players is. You blast them for spending money on free agents (LaRoche/Cabrera) but want them to spend twice that amount on another one. Instead of blaming the onwership for spending money and not spending money at the same time you should throw a little blame at the players for not performing like they are capable of doing.

I would guess most fans are frustrated with the team and their performance. However, I would also say I thought the team on paper looked pretty good last year with all of the additions. It was the players who did not perform to their capabilities last year.

Where does the buck stop when evaluating the continued lack of results of this team?

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Quinarvy' date='Feb 29,

How many times have we PM'd?

quite a few times in after that infamous post of "we will pm poster etc...." by a Admin type of person.

LDF, I can tell you the mods don't have it out for people with differing opinions. We are entitled to our opinions as well.

consciously i will agree, but if a person does have a difference of opinion with a admin / mod, there 3 Admin kind of person who keeps up the arguments, even getting off the subject to argue other posts, like pent up anger. i know, b/c i have been on the receiving and i can name the post and thread to prove my point. remember one thing, i react to posters, yeah even to admin and mods, and my main defense is and will always be, everyone has the right to have a different opinions.

People don't get banned/suspended for their opinions.

then why have i been give this so called statement from the same admin 3 times.

i was done with the subject, why bring it up again.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 02:14 AM)
If they fail again this year, there better be massive changes in this organization.

for this discussion only,

who do you think will be fired for lack of a better word???

RV - i think last yr he should have been fired, this yr, i have to wait and see how he handles the team

Hahn - i think he has done a great job, given with what i imagine the limitation that he was given.

some of the owners - maybe one of their sons or daughter can step in and take over as CEO.

unless they do a total rebuild and sell off the players.

i really like to get your opinion, to see if i am missing something.

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 03:04 AM)
for this discussion only,

who do you think will be fired for lack of a better word???

RV - i think last yr he should have been fired, this yr, i have to wait and see how he handles the team

Hahn - i think he has done a great job, given with what i imagine the limitation that he was given.

some of the owners - maybe one of their sons or daughter can step in and take over as CEO.

unless they do a total rebuild and sell off the players.

i really like to get your opinion, to see if i am missing something.

Hahn has yet to field a winning team...this version has to prove he can field a competitor. He hasn't done anything special with the farm system either. He's a great negotiator but has struggled with major league talent evaluation so far.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 07:12 PM)
Where does the buck stop when evaluating the continued lack of results of this team?

I think the changing philosophy the last two years is a big change. Besides what do you consider the lack of results? If it's not making the playoffs, nearly every ownership would change every 3 years. I think the change with Rick Hahn as the GM shifted the philosophy of the team and he needs some time to implement the change. Last year I thought he built a good team. The players didn't play to their capability. I also think that they have a pretty god team this year and are building in the right direction. I also agree with another poster that if they are under .500 this year there will be a manger change because they can't fire all of the players, although Hahn tried changing 1/2 of the lineup this year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 02:07 AM)
Hahn has yet to field a winning team...this version has to prove he can field a competitor. He hasn't done anything special with the farm system either. He's a great negotiator but has struggled with major league talent evaluation so far.

while i agree in some respect, i also disagree in some sorts as well.

but as i said, i really like to get your opinion and see how you are thinking.

many thanks for that.

no offense.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 02:08 AM)
I think the changing philosophy the last two years is a big change. Besides what do you consider the lack of results? If it's not making the playoffs, nearly every ownership would change every 3 years. I think the change with Rick Hahn as the GM shifted the philosophy of the team and he needs some time to implement the change. Last year I thought he built a good team. The players didn't play to their capability. I also think that they have a pretty god team this year and are building in the right direction. I also agree with another poster that if they are under .500 this year there will be a manger change because they can't fire all of the players, although Hahn tried changing 1/2 of the lineup this year.

excellent post, i am in total agreement.

my main counter, not with your post, but the general opinion. the pitching, the main core is prime for something special, they need to supporting cast to make it real. i just hate to see this wasted, b/c of some minor money that the owners could pony up. the rewards will be sooo rewarding if they took that step.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 09:08 PM)

A team that spent the majority of the season w Flowers, Sanchez, Saladino and Avi in your everyday lineup was a good team???? That is half of your lineup in the field. 3 of the 4 will not return to their position from last year and 90% of the fans want the 4th one replaced. Agreed that guys like LaRoche, Alexei and to some extent Melky did not perform but the rest of the lineup were not ML quality starting players.

Edited by SCCWS

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 08:00 PM)
'Quinarvy' date='Feb 29,

How many times have we PM'd?

quite a few times in after that infamous post of "we will pm poster etc...." by a Admin type of person.

LDF, I can tell you the mods don't have it out for people with differing opinions. We are entitled to our opinions as well.

consciously i will agree, but if a person does have a difference of opinion with a admin / mod, there 3 Admin kind of person who keeps up the arguments, even getting off the subject to argue other posts, like pent up anger. i know, b/c i have been on the receiving and i can name the post and thread to prove my point. remember one thing, i react to posters, yeah even to admin and mods, and my main defense is and will always be, everyone has the right to have a different opinions.

People don't get banned/suspended for their opinions.

then why have i been give this so called statement from the same admin 3 times.

i was done with the subject, why bring it up again.

Then why do you throw a temper tantrum anytime someone disagrees with you? If you really believe it is OK for people to have different opinions, then quit getting mad that people have different opinions than you do. It does work both ways.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 03:34 AM)
Then why do you throw a temper tantrum anytime someone disagrees with you? If you really believe it is OK for people to have different opinions, then quit getting mad that people have different opinions than you do. It does work both ways.

nice pm....

how do i throw a tantrum......

just b/c i will dispute your, the generic your, comment, b/c i do not agree with it???

define this tantrum of how one throws on an internet forum???

show me, and until you can, i will say you are making things up.

as far as i am concern, i am done discussing this.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
Funny how you were against giving up,draft picks and anything more than 3 year contracts earlier this offseason. Of course that is when everyone assumed Gordon to the White Sox was likely. Wanted to wait until June to sign Desmond. Wanted to give Latos $10-12 million, wanted to give Parra $8 million, even though he hasn't shown he can hit in the AL, and wanted no part of Fowler and the draft pick, pointing out without realizing he has spent a season in the AL, that he would be a good candidate not to be able to adjust.

Waiting to June for Desmond would have made sense, but obviously he and his agent didn't want to take the risk of sitting out two months. It would have saved the Sox even more money, but, alas, not to be.

When I wrote that about Latos, Kennedy had just signed for $70 million, Leake, Happ, etc., and nobody had access to his medical reports. Can you guarantee as of today he's going to provide anything positive (let's say an improvement on Shark's numbers) to the White Sox this season? Nobody knows, same with Rollins. His value might be more from mentoring Anderson than anything else, for all we know. (Of course, that's a pretty darned expensive coach/mentor.)

Besides, if the White Sox are in need of financial savings, signing Desmond for $8 million, not signing Latos and Rollins, and not spending $2 million on the draft would have had the same net effect financially ($6 million overall cost). As a reminder, Desmond is the same guy who's in the Top 5 in war for MLB shortstops over the past four seasons.

It still would be logical enough (signing him for one year) because of the fact that he's likely to end up with another QO from the Rangers to recoup that lost pick...and with the lack of talent on next year's market, and with his ability to put up huge offensive numbers in Texas, there's a very good chance he can make up at least part of what he lost financially turning down $107 million over 7 years.

What it would essentially mean is that he needs to get $90 million for 5 years next off-season. That's not completely unrealistic if he can prove his defensive ability to play in the outfield and also ends up playing extensively at SS or 2B in case of an injury.

In the end, we were in a great position to sign at least one of Jackson and Desmond...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 08:24 PM)
A team that spent the majority of the season w Flowers, Sanchez, Saladino and Avi in your everyday lineup was a good team???? That is half of your lineup in the field. 3 of the 4 will not return to their position from last year and 90% of the fans want the 4th one replaced. Agreed that guys like LaRoche, Alexei and to some extent Melky did not perform but the rest of the lineup were not ML quality starting players.

Don't forget Gillaspie as well. He was the original starter at 3rd.

Not to mention Olt, Micah Johnson, Beckham, Bonifacio and Davidson...and then one of the few bright spots in terms of younger players, Trayce Thompson, was traded away.

Davidson and Avi were supposed to be two key contributors, and their struggles have cost the White Sox quite a bit. Hahn did a good job covering up for those missed evaluations, but will it be enough now that we've run out of resources until at least mid-season?

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 08:24 PM)

Yes. I believe most people thought it was a good team, at least above .500. Eventually, they have to play the young guys to see what they have. Avi had never played a full season, Sanchez and Saladino deserved a shot. Flowers was a good defensive catcher that the pitchers liked to throw to. If the rest of the team performed to their capabilities, they could have lived with flowers behind the plate. In hindsight, it wasn't.

However, most of the problems you just mentioned were addressed this offseason. So now we see how they perform this year.

Edit. Don't forget to add Smardija (sp) to your list. He was one people thought would help but tanked as well.

Edited by ptatc