Fowler Signs with Cubs

Chisoxfn

Here's a list of #27 overall picks. I don't have the last 2, but I think I would trade every single one of them for Dexter Fowler. Porcello could be an exception. The White Sox are really going to have to buck a trend to get impact here, although I do admit, there will be some available:

27th Overall MLB Draft Picks

Year Player Pos. Drafted From Drafted By

2013 Phil Ervin OF Samford Cincinnati Reds

2012 Clint Coulter C Union HS (WA) Milwaukee Brewers

2011 Robert Stephenson RHP Alhambra HS (CA) Cincinnati Reds

2010 Jesse Biddle LHP Germantown Frieds HS (PA) Philadelphia Phillies

2009 Michael Franklin SS Lake Brantley HS (Fla.) Seattle Mariners

2008 Carlos Gutierrez RHP University of Miami (Fla.) Minnesota Twins

2007 Rick Porcello RHP Seton Hall (N.J.)Prep Detroit Tigers

2006 Jason Place OF Wren HS Boston Red Sox

2005 Joseph Devine RHP North Carolina St. Atlanta Braves

2004 Taylor Tankersley LHP U Alabama (AL) Florida Marlins

2003 Eric Duncan 3B Seton Hall Prep School (NJ) New York Yankees

2002 Sergio Santos SS Mater Dei HS (CA) Arizona Diamondbacks

2001 Alan Horne P Marianna HS (FL) Cleveland Indians

2000 Robert Stiehl P El Camino College Houston Astros

1999 David Walling P University of Arkansas New York Yankees

1998 Chip Ambres OF West Brook HS (TX) Florida Marlins

1997 Kevin Nicholson SS Stetson University San Diego Padres

1996 A.J. Zapp 1B Center Grove HS (IN) Atlanta Braves

1995 Shea Morenz OF University of Texas New York Yankees

1994 Jacob Shumate P Hartsville HS (SC) Atlanta Braves

1993 Marc Valdes P University of Florida Florida Marlins

1992 John Burke P University of Florida Colorado Rockies

1991 Scott Stahoviak 3B-1B Creighton University Minnesota Twins

1990 Mike Zimmerman P University of South Alabama Pittsburgh Pirates

1989 Todd Jones P Jacksonville State University Houston Astros

1988 Jeff Mutis P Lafayette University Cleveland Indians

1987 Pete Harnisch P Fordham University Baltimore Orioles

1986 Mike Fetters P Pepperdine University California Angels

1985 Bill McGuire C University of Nebraska Seattle Mariners

1984 Gary Green SS Oklahoma State University San Diego Padres

1983 Calvin Schiraldi P University of Texas New York Mets

1982 Stan Boderick OF Robinson HS (Tampa,FL) Chicago Cubs

1981 Kevin Dukes P Arizona State University Seattle Mariners

1980 Jay Tibbs P Huffman HS (AL) New York Mets

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
Thought he had both a 2 year/$24 million'ish and a 3 year/$3 million-ish offer that he could've signed. Signing with the Chubs guarantees him only $13 million...what am I missing?

Unless he suffers a major injury or suddenly forgots how to play baseball, next offseason there's a good chance he will sign a larger and longer deal than the ones he turned down. There is a little risk on his side, but the money left on the table can easily return him next winter plus more.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)
He basically matches Baltimore's supposed offer if he gets 2/$20 million next offseason. But the my heart is with the Cubs was BS. He signed for $13 million. He could have taken the QO for almost $16 million. His heart is with the Cubs as long as other teams weren't willing to pay him more money. Nothing wrong with that. But the now standard line , "I turned down more money elsewhere" probably is true when most players say it, but 3 or 4 years from now it will not.

I think a big part of this that I don't see in this thread anywhere is that his agent simply underestimated the competition on the market.

If Upton and Cespedes weren't on the market, along with all the others who chewed up money, so that there were an extra 2 or so teams looking for an outfielder, he could easily have gotten a better deal...and frankly I think both Cespedes and Fowler have realized that - hence the options to be FA again next winter when the market is weaker on paper.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
Thought he had both a 2 year/$24 million'ish and a 3 year/$3 million-ish offer that he could've signed. Signing with the Chubs guarantees him only $13 million...what am I missing?

Because you look at it on a year by year basis. If one guy signed a 4 year $100 million but another team offered him 5 years $105 million deal would you say he left money on the table?

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)
Because you look at it on a year by year basis. If one guy signed a 4 year $100 million but another team offered him 5 years $105 million deal would you say he left money on the table?

If he signed with the Cubs, then of course he left money on the table just so he can drink wine with Joe Maddon. :lol:

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)

Fowler 'not leaving money on the table' is predicated by the scenario that he can ultimately exceed the 3/$33 million he potentially could've received from Baltimore, I get that. A lot can happen in a year though, and who knows A) what the QO situation will be like next off season, and B) the actual #'s on any prospective deal he may sign after 2016.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 12:21 PM)
Fowler 'not leaving money on the table' is predicated by the scenario that he can ultimately exceed the 3/$33 million he potentially could've received from Baltimore, I get that. A lot can happen in a year though, and who knows A) what the QO situation will be like next off season, and B) the actual #'s on any prospective deal he may sign after 2016.

In fact, if Fowler leaves the Chubs after 2016 ($13 million banked) and for argument's sake he then signs a 2 year/$20 million dollar guaranteed deal next off-season, that would put him at the $33 million he could've gotten from Baltimore. All said and done, he ends up with the team he never wanted to leave, and has a good chance at being part of a successful team in 2016.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
Exactly.

1 Anderson

2 Fulmer

3 2016 1st pick (#10)

4 Adams

5 2016 supp. pick (#27)

Why would you trade your #5 prospect for one year of Dexter Fowler? You wouldn't. Which is why Hahn, a sane man, didn't.

Yeah, but if he was in a deeper farm system, he might not even be Top Ten.

The fact of the matter is looking at that long list, there aren't many high impact MLB careers. Of course, one area we can't easily prove is whether another player signed somewhere else in the draft because of the overall amount of money available.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
Isn't the money allotted to that pick as much if not more valuable then the pick itself.

The White Sox have a pool of money that is significantly higher because of this pick and as such could sign a player that is drafted and deemed unsignable and they could throw more money at this player than if they did not have the resources attached to this pick.

Is this thinking correct?

As long as you're building for 2018-2019 and you don't have any major pieces you risk losing to FA before that, that thinking is totally solid.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 09:54 AM)
With the way this offseason has gone I think come next year team's will be way more hesitant to offer QO's and players will be much more likely to accept if offered. I mean before this offseason nobody had ever accepted and like 3 or 4 guys did this year. And in hindsight it looks like all those players that accepted definitely made the smart move.

I think just Rasmus and Wieters accepted, but yes, more players should be inclined to take it.

My post was responding to someone suggesting that it's no big deal to lose a pick by signing Fowler to a one year deal because you'll just got the pick back the next year. It looks like you and I agree, that's not likely the case.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)
I think just Rasmus and Wieters accepted, but yes, more players should be inclined to take it.

My post was responding to someone suggesting that it's no big deal to lose a pick by signing Fowler to a one year deal because you'll just got the pick back the next year. It looks like you and I agree, that's not likely the case.

Brett Anderson took it as well and Estrada signed a 3 year deal.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
Brett Anderson took it as well and Estrada signed a 3 year deal.

Ah yes, that's right.

And Fowler, Gallardo, and Kendrick all signed worse deals than the qualifying offer they turned down.

Saw some people here saying they think Fowler is "betting on himself" (annoying phrase) by planning to have a great year and get a bigger multi year deal next year. That's not what's happening. How great of a year would Fowler have to have in order for a) the Cubs to offer a QO b) some other team to give him a 4 or 5 year deal at age 31 coming off what would have to be a career year?

He's "betting on himself" to be mediocre. To not be offered a QO. And to have more teams competing to sign him because there's no pick attached. 2016 is for him to prove he's not worth a QO. He's betting he can get better than 2 years/$22 million- the Orioles offer minus the $13 million he gets from Cubs.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
Ah yes, that's right.

And Fowler, Gallardo, and Kendrick all signed worse deals than the qualifying offer they turned down.

Saw some people here saying they think Fowler is "betting on himself" (annoying phrase) by planning to have a great year and get a bigger multi year deal next year. That's not what's happening. How great of a year would Fowler have to have in order for a) the Cubs to offer a QO b) some other team to give him a 4 or 5 year deal at age 31 coming off what would have to be a career year?

He's "betting on himself" to be mediocre. To not be offered a QO. And to have more teams competing to sign him because there's no pick attached. 2016 is for him to prove he's not worth a QO. He's betting he can get better than 2 years/$22 million- the Orioles offer minus the $13 million he gets from Cubs.

If we assume the QO dollar amount goes up by another $0.5 million next year before it's reformed in the next CBA, a qualifying offer to Fowler next year could be accepted and give him a $16.3 million salary for 1 year. That's not the worst setup in the world either.

As I said before though, I think his agent just misunderestimated how saturated the OF market was this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 12:00 PM)
If we assume the QO dollar amount goes up by another $0.5 million next year before it's reformed in the next CBA, a qualifying offer to Fowler next year could be accepted and give him a $16.3 million salary for 1 year. That's not the worst setup in the world either.

As I said before though, I think his agent just misunderestimated how saturated the OF market was this year.

From his perspective, that would be great. If I were the Cubs I wouldn't want to pay him that, and I would assume he would accept it.