Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)
How is Loney hapless??? He hit .280 in 300+ AB last year and is considered an above average IB. That is not a bad back-up to have.

His OPS was not much higher than LaRoche's in 2015, and really he isn't a guy who you would project to be much better.

Ignoring lats year, Loney had a better WAR in the previous 2 years than LaRoche did. Both were basically the same poor player a year ago (however, against RHP, Loney was still solid even in his down 2015). Loney is younger than LaRoche and is a solid defender (not that defense at 1B is a critical metric). If you were going to project a bounce back, I'd bet more on the younger player than the older player. Fact that Loney can hit for a solid average isn't a bad thing (might be a bit more empty, but still not a bad thing).

I'm 100% okay with giving Loney a shot. He's played on plenty of winning teams and have never heard anything bad about him. Am also fine if they take another route. I'm guessing Loney wouldn't get much coin at all, so you are talking "Jimmy" Rollins money.

Loney, last year, vs. RHP was .296 / .341 / .713...not the best, but not awful either.

LaRoche, last year, vs. RHP was .221 / .318 / .697

Loney also doesn't strike out and handles a bat far better than LaRoche. Struck out 34 times in 104 games vs. LaRoche's 133 in 127 games.

Given the roles we are talking about (platoon player getting AB's primarily vs. RHP), I don't see how Loney isn't an upgrade over LaRoche.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
Ignoring lats year, Loney had a better WAR in the previous 2 years than LaRoche did. Both were basically the same poor player a year ago (however, against RHP, Loney was still solid even in his down 2015). Loney is younger than LaRoche and is a solid defender (not that defense at 1B is a critical metric). If you were going to project a bounce back, I'd bet more on the younger player than the older player. Fact that Loney can hit for a solid average isn't a bad thing (might be a bit more empty, but still not a bad thing).

I'm 100% okay with giving Loney a shot. He's played on plenty of winning teams and have never heard anything bad about him. Am also fine if they take another route. I'm guessing Loney wouldn't get much coin at all, so you are talking "Jimmy" Rollins money.

Loney, last year, vs. RHP was .296 / .341 / .713...not the best, but not awful either.

LaRoche, last year, vs. RHP was .221 / .318 / .697

Loney also doesn't strike out and handles a bat far better than LaRoche. Struck out 34 times in 104 games vs. LaRoche's 133 in 127 games.

Given the roles we are talking about (platoon player getting AB's primarily vs. RHP), I don't see how Loney isn't an upgrade over LaRoche.

I don't think Loney would cost much either. I wouldn't mind getting him for nothing or the Sox just going with Avi/Melky at DH. If they were to get him, I'd like to see him at 1B more often than LaRoche was last season (was hoping the same about LaRoche this season).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
I hate 1B that don't hit for power. There are better options out there than Loney.

I don't disagree. Loney wouldn't be my first choice, but if the choice was Loney or our in-house options, I'd probably go with Loney.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 06:31 PM)
I think this nails it. Perfectly.

wow, a great article.

nice find and posting it.

toward the end, this writer brought something up, if the players were so angry at the whole kw affair, and voiced it. then why didn't do the same thing on how they performed last yr and stunk up the field.

i never thought of that angle and wow, that is a powerful angle to use.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 06:11 PM)
I don't think Loney would cost much either. I wouldn't mind getting him for nothing or the Sox just going with Avi/Melky at DH. If they were to get him, I'd like to see him at 1B more often than LaRoche was last season (was hoping the same about LaRoche this season).

gots to deal with what is available and the price associated.

the sox can work with loney and use him as dh and a #2 hitter.

the sox don't use a prize prospect to get him is also the cost of what i would look out for.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)
None of us will know what happens. This should have always stayed behind closed doors.

and i agree, but the 2 players involve, 1 needs the media attention and he sure ran with it.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)
How is Loney hapless??? He hit .280 in 300+ AB last year and is considered an above average IB. That is not a bad back-up to have.

He had a .680 OPS last year....he doesn't walk and has no power. Oh and it was a mighty .713 against RH pitching.

One of those guys in camp can deliver that, if properly platooned. As for his D, that's not happening anyway...Laroche played good D, how often was he on he field?

I heard the same stuff when we dumped Semien, Bassit and Phegley for the Shark. They were "Fringe prospects"...so fringe they ended up being better than numerous Sox starters and combined for c. 4.8 WAR. Of course we then went and traded for a .8 WAR second basemen, so afraid the Sox are of a young player who wasn't a high draft choice..

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
He had a .680 OPS last year....he doesn't walk and has no power. Oh and it was a mighty .713 against RH pitching.

One of those guys in camp can deliver that, if properly platooned. As for his D, that's not happening anyway...Laroche played good D, how often was he on he field?

I heard the same stuff when we dumped Semien, Bassit and Phegley for the Shark. They were "Fringe prospects"...so fringe they ended up being better than numerous Sox starters and combined for c. 4.8 WAR. Of course we then went and traded for a .8 WAR second basemen, so afraid the Sox are of a young player who wasn't a high draft choice..

The problem is all the three in-house options you mentioned (Davidson, Coats, Sands) all fare much better against LHP than against RHP, which is the opposite of what we need. Loney the last three years has a wRC+ of 97, 120, and 122 against RHP. You really think any in-house options could reach those numbers? Again, Loney is far from my first choice but he's a much better bet for DH against RHP than those three are.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)
His OPS was not much higher than LaRoche's in 2015, and really he isn't a guy who you would project to be much better.

I disagree. LaRoche is 36 and had been fighting hand and back injuries during his tenure with the Sox. Optimistically, LaRoche probably would've put up a .700-ish OPS this season, and he probably would've been on the DL a couple of times this season.

Loney has averaged a mid-.700s OPS vs. RHP over the past three years. He has no power, but he gets on base and doesn't strike out much. That may not be the skill set that one desires in a DH, but it's not bad considering that all they need is an improvement over LaRoche and Avi.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for the Sox to do better than Loney, but that's going to be tough at this point. It's the end of March and the Sox don't have a farm system full of can't-miss prospects. Unless they're willing to give up Anderson or Fulmer, guys like CarGo and Reddick are pipe dreams.

If we have to sacrifice one of power or OBP, I'd much rather sacrifice power for our last position player. Our infield is above average power everywhere already.

He wouldn't be a terrible 2 hole hitter. His .340 OBP vs RHP would look good there, or anywhere really.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 07:32 PM)
Which is not surprising in the least, and the reason Williams handled this in the first place. Poorly, but it's why he was the person to handle it.

Yep, but it's also where Ventura now needs to make sure the "witch hunt" isn't happening.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 07:35 PM)
Yep, but it's also where Ventura now needs to make sure the "witch hunt" isn't happening.

whether kw handled this poorly or not is a moot point.

this needs to come on down from on high or :D ii will let kw pass the word to the clubhouse, on behalf of his boss. that will be an edict of quit doing a witch hunt and make the choice for the captain of the team and make it their responsibility to ensure it stops.

this is the reason why a trade of whomever is needed, b/c it is not stopping as hoped.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 09:19 PM)
I'm confused where Ventura is and isn't supposed to be involved in clubhouse activities. KW creates a s***-storm and Ventura is supposed to clean it up?

there is really a fine line in which you are describing, that part of kw fault in this. there is a all sort of mixed minutiae of feeling and opinions.

the bottom line, kw was within his official rights to do what he did, did he over did it, well the best answer will or should come from those who has no interest in this mess, within the clubhouse.

now, the management / kw needs to put and drive in the nails in this f***ing mess, of those who is or may be doing the witch hunt.

this is a total disregard of management and their office, and this falls directly on the lap of JR and the owners.

Edited by LDF

Oh yay, a player told Will Carroll there's a "witch hunt" to see who complained

https://www.fanduel.com/insider/2016/03/21/...-sox-clubhouse/

Chris Sale, Adam Eaton and anybody else who's still upset about this need to rent and watch "A League of Their Own" tonight. They need to learn that THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL. Stop acting like little girls and focus on baseball. If their performance suffers this year, I'm not going to be pissed at Kenny Williams, I'm not going to be pissed at Robin Ventura and I'm not even going to be pissed at Adam Laroche. I'm going to be pissed at the players who couldn't man up and do their jobs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 02:26 PM)
Oh yay, a player told Will Carroll there's a "witch hunt" to see who complained

https://www.fanduel.com/insider/2016/03/21/...-sox-clubhouse/

Most of knew this was going to happen, though we hoped it wouldn't. What the witch hunters don't understand is that nothing good would come from exposing the players/coaches that complained. If the complainers are exposed it will just make things even worse for the clubhouse overall. Sale, Eaton and co need to let this go and focus on winning ball games.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 10:19 PM)
Most of knew this was going to happen, though we hoped it wouldn't. What the witch hunters don't understand is that nothing good would come from exposing the players/coaches that complained. If the complainers are exposed it will just make things even worse for the clubhouse overall. Sale, Eaton and co need to let this go and focus on winning ball games.

i agree 100% of this.

of all that is responding in a positive way, the way we are saying, this was the best answer to all who wants to know why???

i hoped that the witch hunt didn't or wouldn't start and that is why i was happy on kw taking the bullet. then he chicken out and make that, well players and etc,,, came to him. f***ing chickenshiite for loosing faith is what he was standing for.

now this witch hunt is a by-product of that. the thing is, if eaton is part of this, he really needs to go. trade him to the nl west coast and bury his arse and see if he will ever get as close to competing for a WS ring .... ever.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 12:01 AM)
That sort of response would be the same to Williams apparently flipping out on LaRoche and telling Drake is done, only to pull back on the ruling after he calmed down. This will all be over by the time ST is over, you aren't trading two of your best players because of it. How would that go over in the clubhouse?

here is my infamous "what if" that i hate playing.

but what if easton and sale does not let it go by the beginning of the season .... what then???

this go to the union??? disciplinary actions???

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 22, 2016 -> 01:01 AM)
That sort of response would be the same to Williams apparently flipping out on LaRoche and telling Drake is done, only to pull back on the ruling after he calmed down. This will all be over by the time ST is over, you aren't trading two of your best players because of it. How would that go over in the clubhouse?

If, and we all hope it's not true, they continue to pester their teammates about it, then they are creating a bad environment and you can't let that last into the season. Hopefully this all disappears soon.