Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Mar 20, 2016 -> 07:09 PM)
Tampa Bay Times ran a story on the LaRoche mess with the White Sox. The Rays have a policy on kids and relatives in the clubhouse----i.e.when they can and can't visit.

Article also noted that White Sox may explore James Loney as a possible replacement since he is a DH/IB

The more you think about it the more you realize the sox could use a guy who can play 1B, if Ishakawa doesn't make the team. Frazier can I suppose and you could put Saladino at 3B. If they are going to use a rotating DH, it may behoove them to see if Melky or Avi have any ability to play the position.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 20, 2016 -> 06:25 PM)
The more you think about it the more you realize the sox could use a guy who can play 1B, if Ishakawa doesn't make the team. Frazier can I suppose and you could put Saladino at 3B. If they are going to use a rotating DH, it may behoove them to see if Melky or Avi have any ability to play the position.

Sands plays 1B.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Mar 20, 2016 -> 07:09 PM)
Article also noted that White Sox may explore James Loney as a possible replacement since he is a DH/IB

The Sox just got the break of the decade with Laroche retiring.

Trading for Loney, who is like the BAD Laroche, would be absolutely mad.

Loney is awful.

They can fill the spot in-house. There are enough candidates...Davidson/Coats/Sands---one of those guys should be able to hold up.k And some guys should be taking balls at 1B...not sure why they haven't been all along.

Edited by GreenSox

“It’s a tough situation because Adam is as good as it gets as a teammate and a person and Drake is a great kid who shouldn’t have been dragged into the middle of this whole thing,” the player said. “But it was to the point where it kind of exceeded the limit.

“Drake was out there on the field every day in spring training while we were going through drills. I had no problem with him being in the clubhouse or hanging around the dugout but I think you have to draw the line as far as on-field stuff. That is where the problem came from. That bothered some guys.

“When you’re on the field, it’s time to work.”

This is exactly why the complaint(s) was/were anonymous.

Edited by Black_Jack29

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 20, 2016 -> 08:25 PM)
The Sox just got the break of the decade with Laroche retiring.

Trading for Loney, who is like the BAD Laroche, would be absolutely mad.

Loney is awful.

They can fill the spot in-house. There are enough candidates...Davidson/Coats/Sands---one of those guys should be able to hold up.k And some guys should be taking balls at 1B...not sure why they haven't been all along.

You're obsession with bad/fringe prospects knows no end. What makes you think Matt Davidson could hold up at the major league level? A handful of spring training at-bats? Definitely ignore his two consecutive horrific seasons in AAA. Coats has put up solid at best numbers in a minor league bandbox and his prospect rankings suports that. He's a potential 4th OF and nothing more. And counting on Sands to play an important role against RHP (i.e. LaRoche's role) would be incredibly foolish based on his prior prospect status and major league track record. None of these guys solve our need, but because they are young and/or cheap you'd be willing to give them a bunch of playing time they don't deserve.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Mar 20, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)
This is all just one more reason for the city of Chicago to root for the Cubs. We're all die hards, but really guys, ask yourself this:

If I weren't blindly loyal to the Sox, and if I hadn't been a fan, my whole life, for which team would I be rooting, this season?

The North Side has a terrific young team, with a great manager and we have.....well, this?!!!!

Way to go La Roche, Sale and Eaton. Great job. How idiotic!!!!

In my 58 years of watching sox baseball I never had the urge to watch a Cubs game. If they do well and make it to the playoffs or to the world series I will quietly root for the opposing team. If they win I will congratulate my Cub fan friends for winning. I think this objection is from Sale. Eaton will be sad because he will again be the shortest man in the clubhouse again

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Mar 20, 2016 -> 10:47 PM)
In my 58 years of watching sox baseball I never had the urge to watch a Cubs game. If they do well and make it to the playoffs or to the world series I will quietly root for the opposing team. If they win I will congratulate my Cub fan friends for winning. I think this objection is from Sale. Eaton will be sad because he will again be the shortest man in the clubhouse again

Yes, of course, because you are a "die hard" Sox fan. You did understand that I was talking about how comparatively unappealing this looks to a those just beginning to develop an interest in Chicago baseball. Can you honestly say that if you were 58 years younger, and just starting to follow baseball, that you would choose to root for the Sox, rather than the Cubs? I've rooted for the Sox since 1954, even a couple years longer than you have. However, if I were just beginning to become interested in the game, I doubt this nonsense would draw me to the South Side. This franchise can little afford such a distraction, for many reasons. That was my point.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 20, 2016 -> 11:28 PM)
You're obsession with bad/fringe prospects knows no end.

Good gracious,you're bringing out your "we need proven veterans and I hate young players" diatribe for the hapless Loney?

LOL. Go get 'em, big guy.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 07:25 AM)
Good gracious,you're bringing out your "we need proven veterans and I hate young players" diatribe for the hapless Loney?

I didn't realize Loney was the only external option. And I love prospects, but I don't hand jobs to the fringe ones. The guys you listed can not be counted on to fill LaRoche's role.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
I didn't realize Loney was the only external option. And I love prospects, but I don't hand jobs to the fringe ones. The guys you listed can not be counted on to fill LaRoche's role.

looking at the option at this time and am looking at Loney as an option. i can get really excited, as long as the price is not step in ref to what the sox will need to address. something like coats and barum works for me.

the thing i like is loney hit to strikeout factor and his avg. he would be the perfest #2 hitter and if needed the sox can look at a nice pkg with Avi fronting the trade for another low level, young prospect.

pls he if he as a rep of being bringing a good leadership quality, that will also solidify the leadership part on this team.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 08:11 AM)
JR said the issue is resolved but I think Adam Eaton and Chris Sale especially, should issue an apology to Kenny Williams

Agreed. They may be correct, but you can't really talk that way to the media (nor behind closed doors) to a man in his position.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)
looking at the option at this time and am looking at Loney as an option. i can get really excited, as long as the price is not step in ref to what the sox will need to address. something like coats and barum works for me.

the thing i like is loney hit to strikeout factor and his avg. he would be the perfest #2 hitter and if needed the sox can look at a nice pkg with Avi fronting the trade for another low level, young prospect.

pls he if he as a rep of being bringing a good leadership quality, that will also solidify the leadership part on this team.

Loney sucks. I'd rather go with what they have than acquire Loney.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 11:28 AM)
Loney is a decent contact hitter against RHP. A Loney/Avi platoon at DH would be a step up from Avi platooning with an in-house option.

After looking at his splits, I agree, I wouldn't be against the move. He had a .341 OBP against RHP in 2015, and .351 the last 3 seasons with a .763 OPS. Those numbers are probably much better than we could expect from in-house options against RHP.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)
After looking at his splits, I agree, I wouldn't be against the move. He had a .341 OBP against RHP in 2015, and .351 the last 3 seasons with a .763 OPS. Those numbers are probably much better than we could expect from in-house options against RHP.

I hate 1B that don't hit for power. There are better options out there than Loney.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
I hate 1B that don't hit for power. There are better options out there than Loney.

I agree. Loney to me would be a last gasp guy. If you are going to spend some of the saved money on a hitter, get someone who hits the ball out of the park.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 21, 2016 -> 08:25 AM)

How is Loney hapless??? He hit .280 in 300+ AB last year and is considered an above average IB. That is not a bad back-up to have.