The Rollins Conundrum

ron883

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 10, 2016 -> 01:27 PM)
It means the game is played on the field. Not a computer print out. What is being done is working. There will be plenty of time for Saladino and Sanchez to play. In fact, I think Rollins was out of the line up 3 games in a row last week. Changing things up when things are going well is silly unless it's an obvious upgrade. Right now Saladino and Sanchez aren't upgrades over Rollins. Maybe at some point they will be. They will still get their shot.

What is Saladino hitting?

at the ML level

I agree. I would say it probably makes sense to make sure Saladino is getting regular starts to insure he can play SS should an injury occur. So far the offense has been able to survive so having a weak bat or two in the lineup has not affected the ability to win games. Anderson is most likely the future at SS in the long term.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 10, 2016 -> 11:27 AM)
It means the game is played on the field. Not a computer print out. What is being done is working. There will be plenty of time for Saladino and Sanchez to play. In fact, I think Rollins was out of the line up 3 games in a row last week. Changing things up when things are going well is silly unless it's an obvious upgrade. Right now Saladino and Sanchez aren't upgrades over Rollins. Maybe at some point they will be. They will still get their shot.

What is Saladino hitting?

I explicitly said in my comment "whether what's behind him is better is another discussion". Given the options at the moment (thanks Samardzija trade) I don't think it's outrageous he's getting the bulk of the time.

It is silly to say, however, that just because the White Sox are winning means they shouldn't be evaluating the individual performances of every player and looking to make upgrades if necessary. With the way they've pitched they could probably have rolled out Paul Konerko in centre-field and been over .500, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 10, 2016 -> 12:53 PM)
I explicitly said in my comment "whether what's behind him is better is another discussion". Given the options at the moment (thanks Samardzija trade) I don't think it's outrageous he's getting the bulk of the time.

It is silly to say, however, that just because the White Sox are winning means they shouldn't be evaluating the individual performances of every player and looking to make upgrades if necessary. With the way they've pitched they could probably have rolled out Paul Konerko in centre-field and been over .500, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea.

I wish the idea of the White Sox being asleep at the personnel wheel would die. They have not been afraid to make changes, both on the field and on the roster for quite some time. Just because it isn't happening in the time frame that fans want to see, doesn't mean it isn't happening. Outside of George Steinbrenner, no one really runs a team like that.

Ask John Danks if the team is evaluating player performance.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)
I wish the idea of the White Sox being asleep at the personnel wheel would die. They have not been afraid to make changes, both on the field and on the roster for quite some time. Just because it isn't happening in the time frame that fans want to see, doesn't mean it isn't happening. Outside of George Steinbrenner, no one really runs a team like that.

Ask John Danks if the team is evaluating player performance.

I'm not talking about the White Sox at all, nor even explicitly about Jimmy Rollins, I'm talking about Dick Allen forwarding the notion that a team shouldn't change anything if they are winning

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 10, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
I'm not talking about the White Sox at all, nor even explicitly about Jimmy Rollins, I'm talking about Dick Allen forwarding the notion that a team shouldn't change anything if they are winning

You took my post out of context. As I stated, there is no reason to change with what they have at this point. Maybe in the future, but the guys behind Rollins haven't shown they would be an upgrade at this point, and the team is winning. If Lindor was acquired to play SS, I wouldn't be complaining. But short of going outside the organization for another SS, as is works pretty well so far.

Rollins hasn't been great, but he hasn't played his way out of the job, and no one has played their way into it.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 10, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
Right. I would like to move Lawrie to 2nd batting order, but, I don't want to mess with where he is as long as he's hitting.

If Avi is legit, maybe move him up.

Not when he's striking out almost 50% of the time recently.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (bmags @ May 10, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
You are right, we should always go by the last 2 games results to judge all actions.

30% on the year. It's getting a bit weird.

I can't complain about the overall production, but putting a guy who's striking out 30% of the time in the 2 hole sounds like a bad idea.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 10, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
30% on the year. It's getting a bit weird.

I can't complain about the overall production, but putting a guy who's striking out 30% of the time in the 2 hole sounds like a bad idea.

Are we talking about Avi or Lawrie?

Edited by AustinIllini

The guy on the North Side moves people around like a game of Twister and they're doing fine. I never bought into all of these things like oh, well he moved from CF to RF so it's been messing with his bat. It's always an excuse when thigns are going bad.

If someone moved my office to down the hall I'd still produce. Lawrie and Rollins are having a tough go over the past week - give a day off here and there.

Nothing is hurting a formula. There is no formula. You give formula to babies.

These are grown ass men. The team didn't collapse around Drake and it wont collapse around Danks and certainly won't collapse by playing Sanchez or Saladino 2 times a week.

In a perfect world, Lawrie would be batting second and move Rollins down in the lineup to 7 or 8. Saladino - although a great guy and seemingly solid defender - does not belong starting on this team (or any other major league team for that matter). Saladino cannot hit. He looked pitiful Saturday night when he failed at even laying down a bunt. I'd be open to giving Sanchez more time.

QUOTE (Special K @ May 10, 2016 -> 03:45 PM)
In a perfect world, Lawrie would be batting second and move Rollins down in the lineup to 7 or 8. Saladino - although a great guy and seemingly solid defender - does not belong starting on this team (or any other major league team for that matter). Saladino cannot hit. He looked pitiful Saturday night when he failed at even laying down a bunt. I'd be open to giving Sanchez more time.

Lawrie only walked 28 times last year, with 144 strikeouts. That's the kind of guy you want hitting sixth or seventh, not second. Same goes for Ajax.

Melky is better-suited towards hitting second, but I'd rather keep him hitting fifth, to give protection to Frazier.

Unfortunately, there aren't many good choices for the two-spot right now. Moving Abreu and the rest of the order up one spot is the best that I can think of.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ May 10, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
Lawrie only walked 28 times last year, with 144 strikeouts. That's the kind of guy you want hitting sixth or seventh, not second. Same goes for Ajax.

He walked 28 times in a full season, but has walked 17 times in our 33 games this year.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 10, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)
He walked 28 times in a full season, but has walked 17 times in our 33 games this year.

True, but he's also playing way above his career numbers right now as well.

Given Lawrie's raw talent level and his age, it's possible that he may be just breaking out now. And that would be great. But there's no evidence (yet) that he can sustain this type of offense, so I don't see the point in moving him up to the two-hole. It makes more sense (to me) to leave him where he is in the lineup.

QUOTE (Special K @ May 10, 2016 -> 04:13 PM)
Not sure if Lawrie will maintain his OBP, but it's far better than whatever Rollins is doing. I am also fine with Melky in 2 hole, but it seems like Lawrie is better suited. Not Rollins tho. Maybe Avi if he maintains.

Right, Lawrie would not be an ideal #2 hitter, but he becomes one when your #2 hitter has a .610 OPS.

He may not have great contact but he has better power.

Would rather have Lawrie than Rollins, because you don't want to give one of your worst hitters than many AB's unless he's at least making really solid contact and advancing guys (like Iguchi with Pods).

Jackson's another "meh" because of his strikeouts, but he seems to be making a bit more contact than Lawrie recently...but that's another one where you are just throwing stuff against the wall, hoping it sticks.

Hence, the Markakis idea for the top of the order...which looks good on paper, but wouldn't look so good in the reality of the AL. And that obviously means giving up on Avi, who's out OPSing Markakis at the moment and doesn't cost nearly as much.