Cleveland outdrew us? Attendance down 13% so far

caulfield12

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2016 -> 07:35 AM)
Now I'm not quite sure if that's "fan shaming" or "fan embarrassing" and what's the positive and encouraging way in the minds of Ewokpelts, etc., to elicit a DIFFERENT reaction from the fan base.

Your posts just show how out of touch you are with the fanbase. Game on ESPN should draw huge...What? When I was in university, who writes that? And going to sporting events is a bit different than when Roy Marble was playing in the 80s. You start the thread off with fan shaming. We get outdrawn by Cleveland? Attendance down 13%. That's fan shaming. Then you go to team shaming. You're all over the place.

One thing is no surprise. Sox lose. Caulfield's post counts rise.

For a guy who doesn't attend games, you sure are concerned about attendance figures.

Edited by Dick Allen

Ummm...let's just say that if you're playing well enough that ESPN or FOX or whoever makes you the national game of the week, you're doing something well. Team doing well, good buzz...positive vibes, more people want to go out and attend the game, at least that's how it works in most sports. The point is that it used to be a "cool" thing or an honor to be selected to be on ESPN, that meant your team was playing great and worthy of fans' attention...not just locally/regionally, but nationally.

Team shaming? What the heck are you talking about? Because I don't think Rick Hahn walks on water and can raise Jon Snow from the dead?

One thing's for sure. Dick Allen will keep fighting the "good fight" to complain about complaining. Really, you should get yourself a job with Donald Trump's campaign, where everyone would be buying what you were selling.

Last time I checked, the White Sox were 1-1 the last couple of nights. I guess the sky is falling because I posted in a game thread...OMG!

Wow...I padded my post count accidentally because the VPN/proxy here in CHINA.

Start an investigation!!! Communist conspiracy!!!

Have all my extra posts deleted so I don't get credited with two extra/accidental posts!!!

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2016 -> 07:55 AM)
Ummm...let's just say that if you're playing well enough that ESPN or FOX or whoever makes you the national game of the week, you're doing something well. Team doing well, good buzz...positive vibes, more people want to go out and attend the game, at least that's how it works in most sports. The point is that it used to be a "cool" thing or an honor to be selected to be on ESPN, that meant your team was playing great and worthy of fans' attention...not just locally/regionally, but nationally.

This game was scheduled to be on ESPN before the season started. It has nothing to do with how well they are playing.

There's another ESPN game scheduled for the end of the month .

Edited by Iwritecode

There should be a run on "over" bets how many times per day you will attempt to play board policeman and "complain about complaining, which still amounts to a complaint in another form."

Current LV line, 3.42 "unique confrontations" per day. 2.29 posts from antiquity dragged back up for some purpose or another.

Well, before the bandwagon jumpers show up (should we keep on winning), get to these games! SO cheap right now. I got two 1st row tix upper deck behind home plate for $14 each. At Stubhub.

$14 would be one beer at a Cubs game (or Hawks, and yes I'm exaggerating).

I plan on hitting a lot of Sox games this summer at these prices. This is the first team in years that I actually like--that has some personality.

This attendance thread is like watching CNN election coverage. It's the same thing repeated over and over, yet I find myself coming back.

Listen, go back to 2005. Attendance wasn't exactly great throughout the year. People are slow to come out. If anything, next year is the year you would see the biggest bump on if they make the playoffs.

Case and point, 2005 and 2006.

Like I've said in the past, we're going to get 15,000-20,000 for weekday games regardless if it's Boston. This will be true for the HOU and CLE series in May as well. The Twins series and KC series this month will have 25,000 on Friday and 30,000+ on Sat/Sun.

Once School is out, it is consistently warm, THEN you will see the bump. But for now, no.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ May 5, 2016 -> 10:05 AM)
This attendance thread is like watching CNN election coverage. It's the same thing repeated over and over, yet I find myself coming back.

Listen, go back to 2005. Attendance wasn't exactly great throughout the year. People are slow to come out. If anything, next year is the year you would see the biggest bump on if they make the playoffs.

Like I've said in the past, we're going to get 15,000-20,000 for weekday games regardless if it's Boston. This will be true for the HOU and CLE series in May as well. The Twins series and KC series this month will have 25,000 on Friday and 30,000+ on Sat/Sun.

Once School is out, it is consistently warm, THEN you will see the bump. But for now, no.

You could also add 2007 to the mix. Despite losing 90 games the Sox averaged 33,000 per game.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ May 5, 2016 -> 10:05 AM)

20,000 is fine. 12,000 is a joke though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 5, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
20,000 is fine. 12,000 is a joke though.

Yes and no. If I had free tickets I'd probably go last night, but it was cold, I was tired from work, and I watched on my 60" television drinking $1 Founder's and $1 tacos to my hearts content.

On a weekend when I am more free to seek out entertainment I do so, but on a weekday? Meh.

And I live in the city, w/ no kids, so my excuses are a lot less than the majority of the folks out there.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ May 5, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
Yes and no. If I had free tickets I'd probably go last night, but it was cold, I was tired from work, and I watched on my 60" television drinking $1 Founder's and $1 tacos to my hearts content.

On a weekend when I am more free to seek out entertainment I do so, but on a weekday? Meh.

And I live in the city, w/ no kids, so my excuses are a lot less than the majority of the folks out there.

IMO, everyone's excuse is just as legit as anyone else's. I just don't think anyone should call out the team for not spending like the Cubs, and acting sort of small market. Teams don't spend $200 million on payroll in a hope to draw fans. They spend it when they have those fans locked up.

I always find it curious many of the people calling the attendance lame weren't at the game.

And it was so cold last night. I took my dog out for a walk after the game and couldn't believe it was May. Although the coldest I ever was at a game was a Cubs/Sox game at Wrigley in late May around 2006 or so. The wind was blowing straight in off the lake. It felt like it was about 15 degrees, and it was a week before June.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 5, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)
IMO, everyone's excuse is just as legit as anyone else's. I just don't think anyone should call out the team for not spending like the Cubs, and acting sort of small market. Teams don't spend $200 million on payroll in a hope to draw fans. They spend it when they have those fans locked up.

I always find it curious many of the people calling the attendance lame weren't at the game.

And it was so cold last night. I took my dog out for a walk after the game and couldn't believe it was May. Although the coldest I ever was at a game was a Cubs/Sox game at Wrigley in late May around 2006 or so. The wind was blowing straight in off the lake. It felt like it was about 15 degrees, and it was a week before June.

I was calling people out and I wasn't there last night. I go frequently though.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 5, 2016 -> 10:31 AM)

Economics 101 would largely disagree with this postulate. The consumer doesn't invest in the product until the product is deemed worthy of doing so. The producer of the product must first invest in it in such a way that it is appealing to the consumer, after which the consumer will become loyal to the brand. Not the other way around.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 5, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)
Economics 101 would largely disagree with this postulate. The consumer doesn't invest in the product until the product is deemed worthy of doing so. The producer of the product must first invest in it in such a way that it is appealing to the consumer, after which the consumer will become loyal to the brand. Not the other way around.

Teams spend the money when they have it to spend. Whether it be by stellar attendance or a new TV contract. They don't just up the payroll an extra $100 million to see if that will make more people come.

If you disagree, maybe you can point to a team that has done exactly that. Then we can examine the results.

Well, weather aside, "real" Sox fans have no excuse for not going to games as I mentioned earlier, because they are so insanely affordable, for good seats.

Granted if the Sox revert to form and go back to their losing ways, all bets are off, but getting sweet seats for $10 or so apiece?

Back in 2005 I went to 36 home games and I think back then (I was always in the bleachers) it was minimum $36 per game, yes?

I agree it's too early in the season to rate attendance. Weather is a big part of it. This is the first time in 10 years I didn't go to Opening Day because the weather sucked (granted it of course sold out) but last night, for instance? That was too cold to get me to The Cell.

As for comparing us to the Cubs: forget it. We will never, ever outdraw them or even match them. Wrigley is also a tourist destination which is something The Cell will never be.

I mean, I speak from a guy who has gone to 4 games this year so far, spending money for Scout Seats, diamond box etc. I also have a season ticket plan.

Yes, you can sit and watch good baseball for cheap. I mean I sat 2 rows behind the dugout for $30/seat. But in the end of the day, I watch more intensely at home. Can see balls and strikes, pitch location, etc.

I'd just rather be at home for a game on a weekday.

Weekends I like getting out and having a beer in the summer and watching at the park. Fireworks, etc.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ May 5, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
I mean, I speak from a guy who has gone to 4 games this year so far, spending money for Scout Seats, diamond box etc. I also have a season ticket plan.

Yes, you can sit and watch good baseball for cheap. I mean I sat 2 rows behind the dugout for $30/seat. But in the end of the day, I watch more intensely at home. Can see balls and strikes, pitch location, etc.

I'd just rather be at home for a game on a weekday.

Weekends I like getting out and having a beer in the summer and watching at the park. Fireworks, etc.

YEah I hear you. I was at the game on Tuesday and am kind of jealous that I still haven't really seen the curveball that iced Big Papi from Q. It was cool there, but it was also just kind of a strikeout.

The catch from Eaton, on the other hand, was probably way cooler live.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2016 -> 07:55 AM)

Team shaming? What the heck are you talking about? Because I don't think Rick Hahn walks on water and can raise Jon Snow from the dead?

One thing's for sure. Dick Allen will keep fighting the "good fight" to complain about complaining. Really, you should get yourself a job with Donald Trump's campaign, where everyone would be buying what you were selling.

Last time I checked, the White Sox were 1-1 the last couple of nights. I guess the sky is falling because I posted in a game thread...OMG!

??????

You know every team has national games, right? You know these games were scheduled well in advance? I know you know this stuff, so this is one of the strangest arguments I've seen. And why would fans attending the game care what network the game is on?

I think the above argument just proves the attendance debate is officially exhausted, because this has just jumped from silly to nonsensical.

The Pirates had 18,000 at their game against the Cubs on Monday, and I assure you there wasn't nearly that many in the park. A divisional rival with a traveling fanbase, and a team who is consistently making the playoffs. Maybe, you can find a message board and go make fun of their fans.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 5, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)

How many people do you think hold 35 year grudges against a product?

On a sidenote, I do think it is pretty surprising that they can't draw against a team like Boston. Usually Boston always will draw crowds wherever they go due to their overall fan base. I realize the weather and lack of school, but that is a pretty big negative, imo. Goes to show how hurtful the past few years struggles have been. Bottom line is people go to games to be entertained and for a few years the Sox were horrific in the entertainment department. It takes more than a few weeks to change that.

This club needs to be a consistent winner with playoff consistency. Do that and even with what the Cubs do, they absolutely will draw consistently. Problem is the franchise has not had a sustained run like that anytime during any of our posters lifetimes.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 5, 2016 -> 01:02 PM)
On a sidenote, I do think it is pretty surprising that they can't draw against a team like Boston. Usually Boston always will draw crowds wherever they go due to their overall fan base. I realize the weather and lack of school, but that is a pretty big negative, imo. Goes to show how hurtful the past few years struggles have been. Bottom line is people go to games to be entertained and for a few years the Sox were horrific in the entertainment department. It takes more than a few weeks to change that.

This club needs to be a consistent winner with playoff consistency. Do that and even with what the Cubs do, they absolutely will draw consistently. Problem is the franchise has not had a sustained run like that anytime during any of our posters lifetimes.

Boston being pretty awful last season probably has a lot to do with it. If this series was a month from now, it would have drawn a lot better even if one of the teams was horrible.

QUOTE (shakes @ May 5, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
??????

You know every team has national games, right? You know these games were scheduled well in advance? I know you know this stuff, so this is one of the strangest arguments I've seen. And why would fans attending the game care what network the game is on?

I think the above argument just proves the attendance debate is officially exhausted, because this has just jumped from silly to nonsensical.

The Pirates had 18,000 at their game against the Cubs on Monday, and I assure you there wasn't nearly that many in the park. A divisional rival with a traveling fanbase, and a team who is consistently making the playoffs. Maybe, you can find a message board and go make fun of their fans.

I didn't realize making this thread constituted making fun of the fans...is that what it really is?

There's also a difference for Pirates' fans because they know they have two better opportunities to see the Cubs later in the season since they are divisional rivals.

At any rate, the Orioles' attendance is also way down and they actually spent quite a bit of money in the offseason, have been to the playoffs much more recently, and got off to a similar start record-wiseto the White Sox.

Like it or not, with the media focusing so much on the Cubs and their revenue machine now, it's going to be even more of a topic of comparison because it's the one profound and obvious difference between the two organizations at the current time...and a hot topic on social media as well and presumably sports talk radio in Chicago.