Top 30 International Prospects; July 2nd 2016

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 02:24 PM)
Has Lazarito signed yet?

Nope.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/06/inte...-fernandez.html

Outfielder Lazaro “Lazarito” Armenteros and second baseman Jose Miguel Fernandez will take part in a showcase of Cuban talent to be held on June 13, Ben Badler tweets. This is two days before the close of the 2015-16 international signing period, and as Badler noted two weeks ago, time is running out for the Dodgers (and other clubs facing a $300K spending ceiling in the next signing period) to sign Armenteros while they still can Fernandez, of course, can sign at any time for any amount since he is exempt from the pools.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben Badler at Baseball America dropped their top 30 international prospects today: http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...vO7alBk8R52r.97

The White Sox are not linked to anyone. White Sox are rumored to be signing 9 prospects this year with one large signing. OF Luis Mieses for 500k is the only prospect I've seen linked to the Sox so far.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 27, 2016 -> 09:21 AM)
Ben Badler at Baseball America dropped their top 30 international prospects today: http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...vO7alBk8R52r.97

The White Sox are not linked to anyone. White Sox are rumored to be signing 9 prospects this year with one large signing. OF Luis Mieses for 500k is the only prospect I've seen linked to the Sox so far.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...DlVjA2Qzpstr.97

There is the INTL Top 50 from BA.

Here are the write-ups: http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...gEyU6skOD5mP.97

White Sox are signing the #33, #36, and #37 prospects on Badler's list.

#33 Josue Guerrero OF Dominican Republic 6-0, 185 lbs, 16 years old

Vlad Guerrero's Nephew

$1 million bonus

Not at level of Vlad Jr.

Brother of DBacks prospect Gaby Guerrero

Corner OF

Best tool-Power

Aggressive Approach

Limited athlete and runner with below average arm

#36 Luis Mieses OF DR 6-4 185 L-L

Big Offensive Upside

Could put another 40 lbs on long, large frame

Hits and Hits for power

Below Average Runner

Above Avg Arm

$500K bonus

#37 Anderson Cosma OF DR 6-4 170 L-L

Same trainer as Gregory Polanco

Tall, physically underdeveloped

Smooth easy stroke

Calm hitter, short clean swing

Knack for hitting

Similarities to Polanco

Edited by Y2JImmy0

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)
And actually that gets me to thinking... I wonder if the big signing is one of the young Cubans?

That was my thought as well. Most of the big ticket J2 kids have deals in place, which would lead you to believe it is likely a Cuban.

Fangraphs writeup on one of the White Sox INTL signings:

24. Luis Mieses, OF, Dominican Republic (Video)

Mieses has big-time power projection at a lean but well-framed 6-foot-4 and a natural, low-ball, power-hitting left-handed swing. It’s a corner-only body and skillset but there’s enough arm strength (55) to play right field and he should add at least a half grade there as he matures. He hasn’t shown the ability to square up balls in game as regularly as scouts would like to see from a corner-only prospect but Mieses just turned 16 at the end of May and is one of the younger players in the class, so there’s more tool projection here than on most of the other players. We’re probably talking about 55 or 60 raw power at maturity and as long as Mieses improves his contact skills to a fringe-average level we’re talking about a useful big leaguer.

Meh....

They really need to find a Korean/Japanese player again...and sign some more 21 and over Cubans who aren't in the intl. pool.

We could definitely use someone of Gurriel's ability, and that fits the "resources should flow predominantly towards the big league roster" motif that has long been established.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 28, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)
http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...DlVjA2Qzpstr.97

There is the INTL Top 50 from BA.

Here are the write-ups: http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...gEyU6skOD5mP.97

White Sox are signing the #33, #36, and #37 prospects on Badler's list.

#33 Josue Guerrero OF Dominican Republic 6-0, 185 lbs, 16 years old

Vlad Guerrero's Nephew

$1 million bonus

Not at level of Vlad Jr.

Brother of DBacks prospect Gaby Guerrero

Corner OF

Best tool-Power

Aggressive Approach

Limited athlete and runner with below average arm

#36 Luis Mieses OF DR 6-4 185 L-L

Big Offensive Upside

Could put another 40 lbs on long, large frame

Hits and Hits for power

Below Average Runner

Above Avg Arm

$500K bonus

#37 Anderson Cosma OF DR 6-4 170 L-L

Same trainer as Gregory Polanco

Tall, physically underdeveloped

Smooth easy stroke

Calm hitter, short clean swing

Knack for hitting

Similarities to Polanco

I watched him (Gabby) play at Clinton a couple of years ago, and, other than the physical similarities, they're nothing alike (also watched Vladdy play for Albany in 1994, he made a simply incredible throw from deep RF, almost at the wall, in the SAL All-Star game that year....the runner was just cruising into 3B standing up and didn't know what hit him. Best throw I've ever seen in person.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2016 -> 12:47 PM)
I watched him (Gabby) play at Clinton a couple of years ago, and, other than the physical similarities, they're nothing alike (also watched Vladdy play for Albany in 1994, he made a simply incredible throw from deep RF, almost at the wall, in the SAL All-Star game that year....the runner was just cruising into 3B standing up and didn't know what hit him. Best throw I've ever seen in person.

My best throw in person was when we got Carlos Quentin. In Detroit he threw out a guy from LF to first base. It was very impressive.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 11:03 AM)
So they must have a big one coming in, right, as Hahn talked about 1 large bonus. So far they have 33, 36 and 37 and none would seem to warrant a high bonus ahead of the others.

They paid 1 or 1.2 million on Guerrero.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 11:09 AM)
Thanks. But I wonder why. That's more than some top 20 guys got.

It's because the rankings are nonsense though. Go look at the bonuses. Some guys in top 10 get 700K and guys in the 30's get $1 million. It's very subjective. I mean, Adolfo was #2 prospect according to MLB and not in BA's top 20. Amado Nunez has been studly so far and wasn't a top guy. Nobody knows.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)
Jerry just finding new and exciting ways to do things on the cheap. This front office is such a f***ing joke.

They have done a solid job on the international market lately and have quietly had some really good drafts. I know it doesn't fit the narrative though.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)
Jerry just finding new and exciting ways to do things on the cheap. This front office is such a f***ing joke.

It really is. I wanted them to get one of the top ones. Hell the As are cheap but seemingly find a way to get a top one all the time.

It doesn't seem like they were being that cheap, they gave out around 2 million in bonuses from the Baseball America list. I think they have actually been doing a good job getting international players the last few years.